Modular FUJIFILM X System

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Pennyfan
Pennyfan Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Modular FUJIFILM X System

I know I am probably being unrealistic, but what if our beloved FUJIFILM cameras are modular system?

I let my imagination run wild and made these line drawings, demonstrated how each modular unit can be mixed and matched, turned into FUJIFILM’s current offerings and what can modular system benefits us.

What do you guys think? Would you buy them?

(I am not greedy, all I want is an X-T4 core module with X-Pro VF module, X-H1 hand grip and 3 way tilting LCD 😁)

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Venus Laowa 9mm F2.8 +4 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,705
Re: Modular FUJIFILM X System

People have enough adventures when things like lenses, batter grips, and flashes don't make proper contact.

It's an interesting idea.  Possibly Lego will make one.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,921

Pennyfan wrote:

I know I am probably being unrealistic, but what if our beloved FUJIFILM cameras are modular system?

I let my imagination run wild and made these line drawings, demonstrated how each modular unit can be mixed and matched, turned into FUJIFILM’s current offerings and what can modular system benefits us.

What do you guys think? Would you buy them?

(I am not greedy, all I want is an X-T4 core module with X-Pro VF module, X-H1 hand grip and 3 way tilting LCD 😁)

I think this would be cool if possible, though I can see some engineering issues with connectors and weather sealing.

But it would be cool to be able to update the sensor module or EVF without having to update the whole camera. The question is whether it would actually be cheaper.

One thing that really annoys me is when camera makers change models and none of the previous accessories will fit any more - so I need a new handgrip, leather case, etc.

Nice drawings BTW

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
ragbasti Regular Member • Posts: 286

Cool idea but oh boy, the reliability of the system would go down the drain. And that doesn't even take into accound user error.

-- hide signature --

If you want to experience the Dunning-Kruger effect first hand, then just join a forum debate about photography.

ragbasti's gear list:ragbasti's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Venus Laowa 65mm F2.8 Macro
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,371

Hasselblad made their roll film cameras plus the similar ones by others, but it was another age for complexity. Rollei made a 35mm version that never sold well.  Nikon and Canon made SLRs that went a long way towards this too.  It won't happen.  The main demand was for viewfinders (we have that with screens and viewfinders) and film backs (which we have because you choose ISO on a shot by shot basis.  So not needed, nor practical, nor economical.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Mczar2u Forum Member • Posts: 89

The one  modular system that could make a big difference would be the chance to choose the screen,....how many photographers are not buying the last models because they do not like the screen?

If you could put the T3 screen in a T4...... or in a Pro3?  That could make a big difference for many

Mario

DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,389

I remember reading about how Fuji tried this with early GFX concepts.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
koushiro
koushiro Forum Member • Posts: 78

One unfortunate downside of modular systems is that they’re necessarily bigger than the same parts would be integrated. Just imagine a current camera but now you have to engineer two barriers and a connection between each modular segment. While I think a lot of people (including me) would love to be able to upgrade just part of a camera, I think the added size and weight from those additions would turn a lot of people off. Hard to justify niche products when the camera market is hurting so much already.

koushiro's gear list:koushiro's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Jazz1
Jazz1 Regular Member • Posts: 466

I love the concept! Sign me up. Of course if the entire outfit costs more than the XPro-3 plus an additional XT-3 body I'm not sure what the market could support it. But this is certainly intriguing!

Jazz1's gear list:Jazz1's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more

koushiro wrote:

One unfortunate downside of modular systems is that they’re necessarily bigger than the same parts would be integrated. Just imagine a current camera but now you have to engineer two barriers and a connection between each modular segment. While I think a lot of people (including me) would love to be able to upgrade just part of a camera, I think the added size and weight from those additions would turn a lot of people off. Hard to justify niche products when the camera market is hurting so much already.

While I agree entirely in principle, I think there is a case for limited modularity.

For instance, the EVF can be made interchangeable. Accessory grips are common.

What would be nice is if the interface for those two features were standardised for a camera system, so that third parties could offer alternatives.

Some features of some cameras are only enable with accessory grips, such as high frame rates or 60fps 4K.

So, you could take a basic camera, which works just fine. Or you could turn it into a mean video machine with a grip with multiple audio channels and a monitor out port, etc etc.

I think there is certainly some value in modularity, esp. for higher end cameras. Just not perhaps to the extent described by the OP.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Fujifilm X-Pro2
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,705

ragbasti wrote:

Cool idea but oh boy, the reliability of the system would go down the drain. And that doesn't even take into accound user error.

It is impossible to make a system fool proof as fools are so creative!

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
klayking Regular Member • Posts: 384

I think it is all possible if fuji gets to bigger volumn and take the iPad and Kindle model. You place an order with your config and it shipped from manufacturer directly to your door in few days.

Another thing I think they can and should do is to integrate with phone to take advantage of phone powerful cpu and better screen and sotware, but use the lens and sensor of the camera. Just a thought.

klayking's gear list:klayking's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more

tspin wrote:

I think it is all possible if fuji gets to bigger volumn and take the iPad and Kindle model. You place an order with your config and it shipped from manufacturer directly to your door in few days.

Another thing I think they can and should do is to integrate with phone to take advantage of phone powerful cpu and better screen and sotware, but use the lens and sensor of the camera. Just a thought.

Better high-speed integration would be good, whether tethered to a laptop or a phone. At lot of remote apps seem dire at the moment. But wi-fi bandwidth on cameras is quite limited, and can cause interference. How about an accessory grip with a phone cradle?

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-Pro2
klayking Regular Member • Posts: 384

57even wrote:

tspin wrote:

Better high-speed integration would be good, whether tethered to a laptop or a phone. At lot of remote apps seem dire at the moment. But wi-fi bandwidth on cameras is quite limited, and can cause interference. How about an accessory grip with a phone cradle?

That is what I thought too. With accessory, it enables to adapter all phones, with all possible screen flip style, whatever you want. This forum will miss a lot of topic though.

Since phone is connected to camera directly, the transfer speed will be fast. can also use phone's GPS. remote operate the camera with another device. The possibility is endless.

With less cpu power needed and no screen, camera battery will last a lot longer and heat will be less an issue. If they can make it usable without phone, that will be even cooler.

klayking's gear list:klayking's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
The Fat Fish
The Fat Fish Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

I'll take an X-T4 with the X-T200 sensor please

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of mediocre landscape photography, check out mine:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwedlake/

The Fat Fish's gear list:The Fat Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 427

Love it, I would get one for sure. And this would allow us to swap not only body parts but sensors too. Pretty much as Ricoh did, I wonder why they dumpled that concept.

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Senior Member • Posts: 1,908

Not a bad idea. Fujifilm had some prototypes for their MF bodies, who knows if they'll ever see the light.

I would sure hope so. It's a very cool concept. Definitely not for the casual though, but right up my alley.

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads