Standard compact system for travel photography

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
ZioPepino Junior Member • Posts: 44
Standard compact system for travel photography

Hi!

I already own a fujifilm xt 30 with 27, 35 and 56mm lenses. But i'd like to purchase a second camera, much more oriented to travel photography. The main reason is that my xt 30 is not weather sealed and i plan to go in countries in which i don't want to hesitate to use my camera (windy/cold/wet/sandy countries...). The second reason is that i love the compactness of the 27mm but don't like the focal lenght (i would much prefer 23mm or 35mm ff equivalent), and i miss the aperture ring...

I was planning to buy the x100v which seems to answers to all my needs BUT there is something that is attracting me to FF camera. I got interested in compact FF camera with "vintage" lenses that allows to be even more compact. I'm a huge fan of good glasses with a lot of caracter. Leica is too expensive for me. The sigma FP would have been a great option if it would have had a flippy screen and a "normal" viewfinder. I came to the sony A7 system and would like to know your advice about it, compared to the 100v, for my purpose?

Would you recommend a sony a7rii or a sony a7iii?

Would you recommend the use of m mount lenses on the sony a7 (i've seen a lot of interesting reviews about affordable  35mm compact voigtlander lenses for exemple) ? Manual focus is not an issue for me, i use a lot the hyperfocal.

I've heard that sony is about to release an even more compact camera soon. Maybe Panasonic is about to do the same with the next s5?

Thank you very much for your time !!

Cheers!

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,527
Re: Standard compact system for travel photography

When somebody say "travel camera or photography" I usually imagine smaller sensor camera (with small body) with zoom lens to prevent changing lenses.

For this purpose I primarily use A6400 with 18-135mm lens, unfortunately not much sealed setup. But I rarely shoot in bad weather, so I have a bag with rain cover for such situations.

But I can imagine small FF camera with 35mm lens as alternative, I thought about Canon RP with 35mmf1.8 some time.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Canon EOS RP Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
anycolourfloyd Regular Member • Posts: 208

if it was me, i would just use the camera that you have - with a dry sack for when the weather gets really sketchy.

going bigger, bulkier and more expensive doesn't make a heap of sense to me for travelling.

anycolourfloyd's gear list:anycolourfloyd's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +4 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,420

ZioPepino wrote:

Hi!

I already own a fujifilm xt 30 with 27, 35 and 56mm lenses. But i'd like to purchase a second camera, much more oriented to travel photography. The main reason is that my xt 30 is not weather sealed and i plan to go in countries in which i don't want to hesitate to use my camera (windy/cold/wet/sandy countries...).

Upgrade to X-T3.

The second reason is that i love the compactness of the 27mm but don't like the focal lenght (i would much prefer 23mm or 35mm ff equivalent), and i miss the aperture ring...

Get the Fujinon XF 23 mm f/2 R WR

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895

"Would you recommend a sony a7rii or a sony a7iii?"

I have a Sony A7RII.   Like most all A7xxx cameras the weather sealing is marginal.  The weak point is the battery door.   A bit of web searching will turn up lots of discussion on that.  I am careful to never place any of my Sony cameras on a wet surface.  For real weather sealed performance I shoot Pentax.    But I can share that I have been pretty rough with my Sony RX100II and it keeps on going, as does my Canon G7XII.   I've killed a lot of compact cameras by rough treatment but there is no point listing those as it would not really be fair.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads