Lightroom 5.4 for iPad ate my photos

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Lightroom 5.4 for iPad ate my photos

Returned from several weeks in Mexico on Sunday with 1000+ images that I’d directly imported to LR from my D850 and Z7 XQD cards. As bandwidth was limited for much of my travel, I observed that my images were slow to sync and backup to my Adobe cloud account. On Monday morning, I connected to my home Wifi network, launched LR, exported a few images to share and set about return to the ‘real world’ of work and home life. Last night, I checked on the status of my sync and backup and was bewildered to see many of the images which I had just been scrolling thru on Monday were missing...

This morning, I reached out to Adobe’s chat help and was soon directed to LR CC’s Sync Issues folder (above the Deleted folder) where I discovered 329 placeholders for images that I’d imported between Aug 5-12, but for some reason had failed to complete sync and backup. When I inquired how I might track down my RAW files in my iPad’s file system, the chat agent suggested that I contact Apple as I have no other backups of the images.

This afternoon (bear with me, I’m just about finished), I discovered an update to 5.4.1 available in the Apple App Store. The first item ‘fixed’ in this update addresses a bug in which users have ‘lost access to their photos’. On launch of 5.4.1, the cloud (sync) icon in the upper right of the UI is green; clicking it exposes a link to generate and email a diagnostic log to Adobe. Interestingly, and coincidentally, the 5.4 update was just pushed out on Monday, the first update in over a month from the last 5.3.x version.

Keeping my fingers crossed that LR will somehow cough up my photos. Meanwhile, as I could find nothing similar to this problem after extensive searching, I wanted to get the word out to anyone else perplexed by similar issues.

-- hide signature --

Michael Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +13 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,275
Re: Lightroom 5.4 for iPad ate my photos

You can try posting in the Lightroom Queen forums. Lots of Lightroom experts lurk there and some are reputed to be Adobe engineers. Maybe they can help.

Hilifer
OP Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,142

CameraCarl wrote:

You can try posting in the Lightroom Queen forums. Lots of Lightroom experts lurk there and some are reputed to be Adobe engineers. Maybe they can help.

Thank you, that sounds like a great idea!

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +13 more
Johanfoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,867

See https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lost-my-pictures-and-presets-after-update-tod...

The 5.4.1 update itself does not restore the images and settings. It only solves the problem for people who had not updated yet. To restore the photos you need to have a way to restore your phone from a backup, like an iPhone from an iCloud backup.

-- hide signature --
Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,038

I'd run some undelete software (photorec, or similar) on all the memory cards before doing anything else...

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305

As long as you only have one copy of a file, you're always in danger of losing it. (In other words, make sure you have a backup.) I use a bunch of memory cards, so I don't need to erase new photos of the card until I get back home and get the new photos into my regular backups.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Hilifer

Jon555 wrote:

I'd run some undelete software (photorec, or similar) on all the memory cards before doing anything else...

Looks like my only option now; hoping to find some time this weekend. I haven’t touched my cards for this reason.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Hilifer

Barry Twycross wrote:

As long as you only have one copy of a file, you're always in danger of losing it. (In other words, make sure you have a backup.) I use a bunch of memory cards, so I don't need to erase new photos of the card until I get back home and get the new photos into my regular backups.

I really didn’t even need to erase my cards as I imported them to LR incrementally as they are 128 GB. But I did, and now I’m in a pickle.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,645

Hilifer wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

I really didn’t even need to erase my cards as I imported them to LR incrementally as they are 128 GB. But I did, and now I’m in a pickle.

There are recovery utilities for SD cards. I haven't used one in ages, but I'm sure a search here will turn up some recommendations. Maybe the extra size of the cards will mean it's less likely the data was overwritten? or maybe you haven't used them since? if so, better chance at recovery.

Hilifer

robgendreau wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

There are recovery utilities for SD cards. I haven't used one in ages, but I'm sure a search here will turn up some recommendations. Maybe the extra size of the cards will mean it's less likely the data was overwritten? or maybe you haven't used them since? if so, better chance at recovery.

I recently researched recovery apps when I accidentally deleted a couple of images before backing up. They were inconsequential shots, so my effort was pretty limited and I was looking for free apps. But, it’s apparent that there are a number of paid recovery solutions available, so this time I’ll start with those. I have several decades of file recovery from “regular” hard drives; I imagine that the strategies (and chances of success) can’t be much different. Will check out Jon’s recommendation for PhotoRec, too.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305

Hilifer wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

Sorry about your pickle.

I recently researched recovery apps when I accidentally deleted a couple of images before backing up. They were inconsequential shots, so my effort was pretty limited and I was looking for free apps. But, it’s apparent that there are a number of paid recovery solutions available, so this time I’ll start with those. I have several decades of file recovery from “regular” hard drives; I imagine that the strategies (and chances of success) can’t be much different. Will check out Jon’s recommendation for PhotoRec, too.

There are extra pitfalls with flash memory, which might make the chances less unfortunately.

At a low level, the flash file system (the card itself) juggles blocks on the card to do "wear leveling". If the FFS sees a block is available, it might just copy data to it because it thinks that would help. That's unlike spinning media, where the deleted sectors just sit there until the OS writes to them.

This was also why the trim SCSI command was invented, it tells the FFS that the block is now unused and thus fair game.

With extra layer of the FFS the data may not be where you'd expect it to be, if you can access it at all. It also may get overwritten before you have a chance to find that out.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Luice New Member • Posts: 3

I have the same problem!!! Can you suggest how to recover all my photos?

Luice wrote:

AFAIK the main option is to get all the memory cards from all your cameras immediately and recover what you can before saving anything else to them. Check to see if anything got saved to the cloud.

Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Hilifer

Success.

I was able to recover all of my photos from both Sony XQD 128 G cards (D850 and Z7) using an app called Data Recovery Essential (Mac, but available also for Windows). The images were, with few exceptions, listed in the scan preview in month/year order, in the original shooting sequence from earliest to latest timestamp, though with a serialization naming designated by the app. As I noted earlier, both of my cards had been formatted, though I had been careful not to shoot any more images to them since the loss.

When I reimported them into LR, I discovered that all of the metadata, including location from Snapbridge, was retained. Furthermore, any editing that I had done before they were lost was restored, including crops and profiles.

The only difference between both card recovery efforts was the original name (e.g., _DSCXXXX.NEF) was also restored for the Z7 card images. The D850 images kept the serial names written by the recovery app.

I believe it’s important not to delete the proxies for the images lost in the sync failure which I found In the “Sync Issues” directory in LR Web between All Photos and Deleted, before restoring the images. My sense is that this is where all of the image edits, etc. are stored.

I also tried using Stellar Photo Recovery ($39), but it was unable to see the NEF’s, even though I was able to filter for that format in the app’s settings. I was able to recover what appear to be two events in 2008 that I shot on my D100 to a Lexar 4 GB card. The card had been formatted at some point; no images were otherwise visible on the card.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Hilifer

Jon555 wrote:

Luice wrote:

AFAIK the main option is to get all the memory cards from all your cameras immediately and recover what you can before saving anything else to them. Check to see if anything got saved to the cloud.

The problem here is that the lost images had not completed syncing with the LR cloud at the time Adobe updated the iOS and iPadOS versions to 5.4. The loss occurred during the day or two before Adobe discovered the problem and pushed LR 5.4.1 out the door. Because my images were actively syncing in this interval, they were affected (lost) by whatever bug was present in 5.4. My timing was unfortunate; I had just returned from a three-week trip to Mexico and was trying on the same day the bug was active to get all my remaining images backed up and synced with the cloud that had not finished due to limited bandwidth during my travels.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Hilifer

Luice wrote:

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about my successful recovery post above; and/or post them here if you think they would be of interest to others.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Hilifer

Barry Twycross wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

Sorry about your pickle.

There are extra pitfalls with flash memory, which might make the chances less unfortunately.

At a low level, the flash file system (the card itself) juggles blocks on the card to do "wear leveling". If the FFS sees a block is available, it might just copy data to it because it thinks that would help. That's unlike spinning media, where the deleted sectors just sit there until the OS writes to them.

This was also why the trim SCSI command was invented, it tells the FFS that the block is now unused and thus fair game.

With extra layer of the FFS the data may not be where you'd expect it to be, if you can access it at all. It also may get overwritten before you have a chance to find that out.

Thanks for the technical explanation, Barry. I generally understand what you are saying; this is why, perhaps, my Mac disk tools (e.g., DiskWarrior, TTP) were not effective with the XQD card. It’s been my understanding that, at least on a Mac files system such as APFS, a high-level format simply deletes the disk directory; a recovery app will simply reconstruct the directory. When selling or disposing of an old Mac or hard drive, I’ve been careful to do a multi-pass write of 0s and 1s over the entire disk. Are you saying that flash media works differently?

EDIT: just did a quick read on SSD wear leveling/optimization. Interesting stuff, thanks for the tip! I had shot another 30 or so images after my last format (they were still on the card for normal import); it appears that there was enough room on the card that they apparently didn’t write over my target recovery files.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Excellent! [nt]

No text.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads