How do you feel about combat-sports photography in main stream media? Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,608
Re: How do you feel about combat-sports photography in main stream media?

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants wrote:

I'm a DPR photochallenge host and also an MMA enthusiast who trains in a bit of striking, wrestling and jiujitsu. This week I host a challenge called #CageFighting

Maybe you should have expressed your question that way in the first place by posting a link to your challenge:

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13465

Then you could ask people if they think your keyword list describing what you want to see works well for a mainstream audience.

'In this challenge, submit a photo of 2 fighters combat-fighting in what appears to be a metal cage (no training/spar shots please). Keywords suggestion : punches, kicks, elbows, knees, stomps, strangles, positional controls, locks, takedowns, slams, adrenaline, adult humans, intensity, cardio,gas tank, hurt, blood'

and was met with a long comment by a member who said there's some sort of morality problem with my challenge.

I don't know about morality being at stake here, but an examination of your tactfulness in posting a challenge that way could be useful.

C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,769

G Gordon MacDonald wrote:

You have given a pretty one-sided view of my concern. What I said was "Does anybody else have a problem with this Challenge? We all enjoy photography as a fun hobby, and looking at the gallery of "By standing on the Shadows of Giants," he is indeed a very talented photographer. However, when we look at the descriptions provided for this challenge, there seems to be a morality problem here. I have a problem believing this challenge is in good taste. "Cage Fighting, Savage Action, Killer Instincts, Punches, Kicks, Stomps, Strangles, Slams, Hurt, & Blood" don't strike me as good clean fun. Other challenges have cautions of not allowing anything offensive, or in bad taste, being allowed. This challenge actually promotes it. Since it opened Sunday evening, not one single entry has occurred. Apparently others have little love for this category. Why has it not been removed?

Now let's look at your description. "Cage Fighting, Savage Action, Killer Instincts, Punches, Kicks, Stomps, Strangles, Slams, Hurt, & Blood." This is sportsmanship. It sounds like a vendetta. You could have worded your entry in a far less hostile manner. Instead you have described it in a way that more closely resembles the violence and deaths that have been all too common news items in recent months. Your description is the main issue here. Also the fact that my message to you has 3 likes, and 1 supporting comment. To date, nobody has entered anything.

Killer Instinct was a violent and bloody computer game, released in the 90s on the Arcades and Nintendo consoles. Years later Microsoft revived the beat’em up series after purchasing Rare, the game studio from Nintendo.

Think Mortal Kombat but not as savage. Be thankful they didn’t reference Dead or Alive.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,009

G Gordon MacDonald wrote:

You have given a pretty one-sided view of my concern. What I said was "Does anybody else have a problem with this Challenge? We all enjoy photography as a fun hobby, and looking at the gallery of "By standing on the Shadows of Giants," he is indeed a very talented photographer. However, when we look at the descriptions provided for this challenge, there seems to be a morality problem here. I have a problem believing this challenge is in good taste. "Cage Fighting, Savage Action, Killer Instincts, Punches, Kicks, Stomps, Strangles, Slams, Hurt, & Blood" don't strike me as good clean fun. Other challenges have cautions of not allowing anything offensive, or in bad taste, being allowed. This challenge actually promotes it. Since it opened Sunday evening, not one single entry has occurred. Apparently others have little love for this category. Why has it not been removed?

Now let's look at your description. "Cage Fighting, Savage Action, Killer Instincts, Punches, Kicks, Stomps, Strangles, Slams, Hurt, & Blood." This is sportsmanship. It sounds like a vendetta. You could have worded your entry in a far less hostile manner. Instead you have described it in a way that more closely resembles the violence and deaths that have been all too common news items in recent months. Your description is the main issue here. Also the fact that my message to you has 3 likes, and 1 supporting comment. To date, nobody has entered anything.

The issues you have raised about the challenge are really very different from the OP in this thread, aren't they? "What do you feel about combat-sports photography in mainstream media?" is a very different question from "What do you feel about promoting the use of graphic images focused on blood, pain and physical damage from combat sports in mainstream media?" or "What do you think of the depiction of graphically violent images in mainstream media?".

Some of the answers would likely have been similar, but the questions are very different.

I personally think this is very bad taste for a DPR challenge. It would have been far better for the OP to have based on the challenge just on combat sports photos. Some may have been graphic and that is fine, but the concentration and promotion of graphic violence feels pretty off to me.

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,781

I think they should remove it and replace it with sex and love.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S II Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +329 more
vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,781

New Day Rising wrote:

As long as they are legal activities, there is no particular reason not to show the images.

This is neglecting all other reasons other than breaking the law. There are other reasons which matter.. unless you're a psychopath, that is.

Maybe showing the most brutal and disturbing of the images will encourage movements towards having them banned. At some point our societies should mature past the point where we pay to watch people hurt each other. Perhaps we could just settle for sports where inflicting pain and damage is incidental to the main activity (eg, football) rather than the sole purpose of the 'sport'.

Unfortunately, you're right. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. If violence were replaced with sex and love (also in high(er) demand, society would reflect it and be a lot better off.

For anyone who thinks media does not influence culture, they will need to explain why styles, languages, and culture worldwide in general is becoming more and more homogeneous, it is apparent where the influence comes from.  Monkey see, monkey do, unfortunately is true.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S II Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +329 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,009

vyoufinder wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

As long as they are legal activities, there is no particular reason not to show the images.

This is neglecting all other reasons other than breaking the law. There are other reasons which matter.. unless you're a psychopath, that is.

I agree with you. There is a stack of other reasons for these activities not to be considered sports, for them not to be part of mainstream culture at all. I was more alluding to those with the second part of my answer, but without wanting to really get into the broader philosophical questions - another time, another place.

In the first part of the answer I was really saying that as long as they are legal, they are shown on television, anyone can buy tickets and go watch these events - then it would be illogical to prevent photos from the events being shown.

Whether they should be legal, whether they should be shown on television, whether they should be activities that anyone can go and watch are separate questions.

Maybe showing the most brutal and disturbing of the images will encourage movements towards having them banned. At some point our societies should mature past the point where we pay to watch people hurt each other. Perhaps we could just settle for sports where inflicting pain and damage is incidental to the main activity (eg, football) rather than the sole purpose of the 'sport'.

Unfortunately, you're right. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. If violence were replaced with sex and love (also in high(er) demand, society would reflect it and be a lot better off.

I absolutely agree.

For anyone who thinks media does not influence culture, they will need to explain why styles, languages, and culture worldwide in general is becoming more and more homogeneous, it is apparent where the influence comes from. Monkey see, monkey do, unfortunately is true.

Yes.

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,091

TripleCoatedBokeh wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

What's wrong with the media presenting something honestly for a change?

Or is it that because you don't like something, it shouldn't exist?

Yeah, i don't really understand the "i dont like it so it should be banned" fodder for culture wars.

I think the OP just wasn't clear in his intent.

But yes, cancel culture is very real lately.

There are plenty of issues with combat sports that are up for debate, but outright banning them because someone doesn't like them is silly. No one's pushing these images down your throat and it's pretty easy to avoid if it upsets someone that much.

Should we ban nature documentaries that show animals killing each other? where do you draw the line?

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 14,028
Sickened.

As a member, how do you feel about such combat-sports genred photographs being displayed here in dpreview.com?

Thank you for your opinions.

Well past time for brain damaging "sports" to be banned.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,935
Would you be offended if they were kissing each other?

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants wrote:

Such as these? Do you think these are ok or they ought to be taken out of mainstream media?

1. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/11/17/sports/where-ufcs-ronda-rousey-goes-from-here.amp.html
  2. https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-217-georges-st-pierre-chokes-michael-bisping-win-middleweight-title-triumphant-return-050652071.html
  3. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/09/14/ufc-star-nick-diaz-lashes-out-after-getting-five-year-ban-for-failed-marijuana-test/%3foutputType=amp

As a member, how do you feel about such combat-sports genred photographs being displayed here in dpreview.com?

Thank you for your opinions.

Funny how it's OK to see two men inflicting brain damage on each other, but many would be offended if they were showing affection.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,585

This is a photography discussion forum yet this thread keeps getting off topic with politics and religious comments. 
such a shame the few spoil it for the many.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads