How do you feel about combat-sports photography in main stream media? Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Contributing Member • Posts: 560
How do you feel about combat-sports photography in main stream media?
 By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,896
Re: How do you feel about combat-sports photography in main stream media?

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants wrote:

Such as these? Do you think these are ok or they ought to be taken out of mainstream media?

1. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/11/17/sports/where-ufcs-ronda-rousey-goes-from-here.amp.html
  2. https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-217-georges-st-pierre-chokes-michael-bisping-win-middleweight-title-triumphant-return-050652071.html
  3. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/09/14/ufc-star-nick-diaz-lashes-out-after-getting-five-year-ban-for-failed-marijuana-test/%3foutputType=amp

As a member, how do you feel about such combat-sports genred photographs being displayed here in dpreview.com?

Thank you for your opinions.

I see no problems at all. Combat sports are just sports, and the articles make it clear what the content is. Don't like it? Don't view it.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,047

What's wrong with the media presenting something honestly for a change?

Or is it that because you don't like something, it shouldn't exist?

Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,279

I don't think it is any more inappropriate than standing on someone else's shoulders -- or any other body part for that matter.  Unless, of course, you have first received permission. 

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,896

As long as they are legal activities, there is no particular reason not to show the images.

Maybe showing the most brutal and disturbing of the images will encourage movements towards having them banned. At some point our societies should mature past the point where we pay to watch people hurt each other. Perhaps we could just settle for sports where inflicting pain and damage is incidental to the main activity (eg, football) rather than the sole purpose of the 'sport'.

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 58,681

There is nothing wrong with combat sports or any photography, video, telecast or display of it as long as it is not predatory or prey on human or animals. There are some popular sports that IMO are on the edge of being predatory. I'll not make public judgment here I'm sure some here understand what I am talking about.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 58,681

New Day Rising wrote:

As long as they are legal activities, there is no particular reason not to show the images.

I don't trust everything that it is legal. Take a look at what has happened in the NFL where headhunting against defenseless players was legal up until a few years ago. Just go back and look at the legal headshot by Jack Tatum that paralyzed Daryl Stingley and you will know what I mean.

Maybe showing the most brutal and disturbing of the images will encourage movements towards having them banned. At some point our societies should mature past the point where we pay to watch people hurt each other. Perhaps we could just settle for sports where inflicting pain and damage is incidental to the main activity (eg, football) rather than the sole purpose of the 'sport'.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
tirediron Regular Member • Posts: 124

It's not my taste, I have no interest in and know even less about it, but if someone's going to pay me to shoot it, I'm absolutely fine with it.

TripleCoatedBokeh
TripleCoatedBokeh Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Jonsi wrote:

Yeah, i don't really understand the "i dont like it so it should be banned" fodder for culture wars.  There are plenty of issues with combat sports that are up for debate, but outright banning them because someone doesn't like them is silly.  No one's pushing these images down your throat and it's pretty easy to avoid if it upsets someone that much.

Should we ban nature documentaries that show animals killing each other?  where do you draw the line?

TripleCoatedBokeh's gear list:TripleCoatedBokeh's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Canon EOS 10D Olympus E-520 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +3 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,356

Such as these? Do you think these are ok or they ought to be taken out of mainstream media?

1. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/11/17/sports/where-ufcs-ronda-rousey-goes-from-here.amp.html
  2. https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-217-georges-st-pierre-chokes-michael-bisping-win-middleweight-title-triumphant-return-050652071.html
  3. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/09/14/ufc-star-nick-diaz-lashes-out-after-getting-five-year-ban-for-failed-marijuana-test/%3foutputType=amp

As a member, how do you feel about such combat-sports genred photographs being displayed here in dpreview.com?

Thank you for your opinions.

I don't see where there's a problem.  I don't follow sports such as these, so it's not something I'm going to be viewing.  But others do, and I have no problem with that.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,896

TripleCoatedBokeh wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Yeah, i don't really understand the "i dont like it so it should be banned" fodder for culture wars.

I'm not sure if you were referring to one of the responses here, but that's not my position.

I would like to see society reach a position where it decides by general or majority consensus that we would be better off without these sports. That they become unfashionable, as it were.

But I don't feel strongly enough to advocate for this kind of change and I certainly don't think they should be banned just because I don't like them.

There are plenty of issues with combat sports that are up for debate, but outright banning them because someone doesn't like them is silly. No one's pushing these images down your throat and it's pretty easy to avoid if it upsets someone that much.

Yes.

Should we ban nature documentaries that show animals killing each other?

No

where do you draw the line?

Wherever a mature and informed society decides to draw it.

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
Vunite Contributing Member • Posts: 652

I always found them somewhat weird, but also interesting, since it catches a moment our eye normally can't, even if it is a painful and sometimes bloody moment. If it's stylish and well made, capturing an important moment of a sports event, why not? If it's all boulevard, just trying to be as gutsy and bloody as possible to be posted in a cheap tabloid, so everybody can be the voyeur and fill the commentary forum below the picture with hateposts and other bs, then I'd say it's not needed.

But frankly, if that is the issue at hand and you titled your post with a Warning/Hardsports etc title, whoever still peeks in and can't deal with it should reconsider his choices

There's only one issue, which is our youngster/underage photographers etc, that maybe aren't to be exposed to stuff too graphic (and kids rarely can control their curiosity). Then again, the images shown are posted in newspapers, so .. I dunno .. just doing some shower thinking here.

pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,698

No problem. They are spectator sports, aren't they? Videos and pictures welcome.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
OP By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Contributing Member • Posts: 560

I'm a DPR photochallenge host and also an MMA enthusiast who trains in a bit of striking, wrestling  and jiujitsu.  This week I host a challenge called #CageFighting and was met with a long comment by a member who said there's some sort of morality problem with my challenge.

I was quite surprised as it's probably my third time or more which I threw photochallenges on combat and martial arts in the past.

I also don't understand how a sports which

• is as mainstream as tennis, soccer and basketball
  • is live-broadcast regularly on ESPN  and FoxSports (which is owned by The Walt Disney Company Inc)  as well as to freetoair tv channels over Asia,
  • is available for viewing over YouTube (without age restriction)
  • with clips strewn all over Facebook/Tweeter 
  • photos splash all over mainstream media such as Yahoo, NYTimes, The Washington Post

is not a suitable theme for a DPR photochallenge because it might be offensive.  I find this ironic that a photo of combat-fighting genre is fit to grace The Washington Post, is now being pushed as unsuitable to be displayed in DPR (despite both of the firms being owned by the same man).

As a final note, if DPR decides that it would not display cagefighting photos, I would totally respect and accept their decision to ban shots of these genre.

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,439
You may not have much participation...

... That's the only thing

Compared to football or soccer, it's a niche sport.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +29 more
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,689

To be fair the fitness industry as a whole is probably worse than combat sport in general. As a result it’s a ticking time bomb with people having health problems from performance enhancing drugs and injuries. I too feel victim to this, while I didn’t do drugs but I over did it and suffered joint problems as a result.

Since I started focusing on functional strength, not I only look better but I feel better too.

Regarding combat sport, I do watch it and therefor I see no problems photographing it. You could say photographing an athlete suffering career ending injuries is immoral or even if it not career ending, it is right to photograph an athlete in agony?

pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,698

I'm a DPR photochallenge host and also an MMA enthusiast who trains in a bit of striking, wrestling and jiujitsu. This week I host a challenge called #CageFighting and was met with a long comment by a member who said there's some sort of morality problem with my challenge.

I was quite surprised as it's probably my third time or more which I threw photochallenges on combat and martial arts in the past.

I also don't understand how a sports which

• is as mainstream as tennis, soccer and basketball
  • is live-broadcast regularly on ESPN and FoxSports (which is owned by The Walt Disney Company Inc) as well as to freetoair tv channels over Asia,
  • is available for viewing over YouTube (without age restriction)
  • with clips strewn all over Facebook/Tweeter
  • photos splash all over mainstream media such as Yahoo, NYTimes, The Washington Post

is not a suitable theme for a DPR photochallenge because it might be offensive. I find this ironic that a photo of combat-fighting genre is fit to grace The Washington Post, is now being pushed as unsuitable to be displayed in DPR (despite both of the firms being owned by the same man).

As a final note, if DPR decides that it would not display cagefighting photos, I would totally respect and accept their decision to ban shots of these genre.

Unfortunately today's world is filled with the perpetually offended, who put more and more demands on other people while having no reason or fairness in their own behavior.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
G Gordon MacDonald New Member • Posts: 2

You have given a pretty one-sided view of my concern. What I said was "Does anybody else have a problem with this Challenge? We all enjoy photography as a fun hobby, and looking at the gallery of "By standing on the Shadows of Giants," he is indeed a very talented photographer. However, when we look at the descriptions provided for this challenge, there seems to be a morality problem here. I have a problem believing this challenge is in good taste. "Cage Fighting, Savage Action, Killer Instincts, Punches, Kicks, Stomps, Strangles, Slams, Hurt, & Blood" don't strike me as good clean fun. Other challenges have cautions of not allowing anything offensive, or in bad taste, being allowed. This challenge actually promotes it. Since it opened Sunday evening, not one single entry has occurred. Apparently others have little love for this category. Why has it not been removed?

Now let's look at your description. "Cage Fighting, Savage Action, Killer Instincts, Punches, Kicks, Stomps, Strangles, Slams, Hurt, & Blood."  This is sportsmanship. It sounds like a vendetta. You could have worded your entry in a far less hostile manner. Instead you have described it in a way that more closely resembles the violence and deaths that have been all too common news items in recent months. Your description is the main issue here. Also the fact that my message to you has 3 likes, and 1 supporting comment. To date, nobody has entered anything.

G Gordon MacDonald's gear list:G Gordon MacDonald's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5
Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,940

I'm a DPR photochallenge host and also an MMA enthusiast who trains in a bit of striking, wrestling and jiujitsu. This week I host a challenge called #CageFighting and was met with a long comment by a member who said there's some sort of morality problem with my challenge.

Too bad. Let them go cry on facebook and twatter with the other perpetually offended.

Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 2,199

I don't care for any kind of combat sports but I have no problem with the photography of it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads