Old 1DM4 may have finally died

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
littleroot
littleroot Senior Member • Posts: 1,419
Old 1DM4 may have finally died

So I got an old 1DM4 which may have finally died after I think around 400k shutters.

However, the camera still shoots, focus OK, menus and LCD work fine.

What doesn't work are three things: no info in the viewfinder, top LCD and lower-rear LCD are both blank, no matter what I press and with all settings and custom functions cleared.

I think this happened to this camera a long time ago and I discovered the vertical grip off/on button was in between selections.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

littleroot
OP littleroot Senior Member • Posts: 1,419
Re: Old 1DM4 may have finally died

Well.... I got lucky I guess:  removing the clock battery for about five minutes fixed it.

I didn't lose any camera settings, copyright info, or anything.

I just had to set the date and time and all good.

Wish I knew what happened!

Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,395

What happened is that you had a big stroke of luck! The old 1D IV is a wonderful machine, long may it continue.

Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,735

I hope it's not a loose cable or some intermittent thing.

I spent hundreds of dollars replacing the shutter and mirror box in my 1D Mark IV so I guess I'll get using it for a while.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,944

littleroot wrote:

Well.... I got lucky I guess: removing the clock battery for about five minutes fixed it.

I didn't lose any camera settings, copyright info, or anything.

I just had to set the date and time and all good.

Wish I knew what happened!

did you change the battery for a new one? it could be it is an OOld one and needs to be replaced, just a reminder

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,437

Good to know .. mine still going strong works very well next to the 1Dx MKII.. my only gripe with the 1D MKIV is slow off the blocks as it take a split second longer to lock the af . Overall a great camera!

-- hide signature --

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer,”—Ansel Adams

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +14 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,735

Sports Shooter wrote:

Good to know .. mine still going strong works very well next to the 1Dx MKII.. my only gripe with the 1D MKIV is slow off the blocks as it take a split second longer to lock the af . Overall a great camera!

My complaint is that the 1D Mark IV AF gets confused more easily so you have to pay more attention and keep your focus point away from things that will confuse it. It seems like Canon just made some tweaks to the problematic 1D Mark III AF system to make it more reliable. The 1DX AF system was clearly a redesign and it takes less effort to keep something in focus.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,944

Scott Larson wrote:

Sports Shooter wrote:

My complaint is that the 1D Mark IV AF gets confused more easily so you have to pay more attention and keep your focus point away from things that will confuse it. It seems like Canon just made some tweaks to the problematic 1D Mark III AF system to make it more reliable. The 1DX AF system was clearly a redesign and it takes less effort to keep something in focus.

my recently acquired 5DsR gets confused too, if you don't pay attention keep at it! i really have to keep trying quickly to keep the subject in focus, such as humming bird, because they don't give much time for you to keep fumbling but it is manageable.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads