I am right in thinking.....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,829
I am right in thinking.....

that you can charge the battery whilst  in the g9 with the cable supplied but can`t actually run the camera from the mains?

Thanks

-- hide signature --
 Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +17 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,059
Re: I am right in thinking.....

Old Timer63 wrote:

that you can charge the battery whilst in the g9 with the cable supplied but can`t actually run the camera from the mains?

Thanks

What does "from the mains" mean in American? If, in this context, it means "from USB power" then probably not but easy to google.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,386

Bassam Guy wrote:

Old Timer63 wrote:

that you can charge the battery whilst in the g9 with the cable supplied but can`t actually run the camera from the mains?

Thanks

What does "from the mains" mean in American? If, in this context, it means "from USB power" then probably not but easy to google.

"From the mains" means plugged into a power outlet.  In this case there would definitely be a USB converter involved.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 2,027

Old Timer63 wrote:

Thanks

Yes, that's the way it works.  If I use the USB port and mains to charge the G9 the red charging light comes on as long as the camera is turned off.  If you then turn on the camera the red charging light goes off and you see a message that you need to turn the camera off for charging.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8 +2 more
Old Timer63
OP Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,829

Yeh, was getting mixed up with my fuji`s that I have moved from, on the fuji`s you put a dummy battery in the battery compartment and judging by the rubber plugs in the G9 it looks like there is a a set up you can buy with a dummy battery through a converter that drops the mains power down to battery power like the fujis so I`ll  have a look .

Thanks

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +17 more
Araldite Contributing Member • Posts: 792
-- hide signature --

I have on occasions when I have had a flat battery run the camera from the usb cord. I'am not sure if this works with all makes or models
A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

Araldite's gear list:Araldite's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Google Picasa +1 more
Old Timer63

Ranlee wrote:

Old Timer63 wrote:

Thanks

Yes, that's the way it works. If I use the USB port and mains to charge the G9 the red charging light comes on as long as the camera is turned off. If you then turn on the camera the red charging light goes off and you see a message that you need to turn the camera off for charging.

Yeh, found it, just like the fuji where a dummy battery does the job of giving continues power here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DMW-DCC12-Dmw-Blf19-PANASONIC-Replacement-DMC-GH3K/dp/B07PFLZTB9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=battery+g9&qid=1597703590&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTVNXWjlLRVNEU1QwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODcwMDk2MTdTVk82TVg4UjBYRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjk0NTQwMTQ0VFZSR05RODU0SSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

thanks

-- hide signature --
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,059

Mark Ransom wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

Old Timer63 wrote:

Thanks

"From the mains" means plugged into a power outlet. In this case there would definitely be a USB converter involved.

So, it has nothing to do with lobster from Maine, got it.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,133

It is an universal feature of Panny since G1.

In the old days, dummy batteries were AC supported only. In recent years, can use USB external power banks plus a voltage step up case if the power bank is not capable of >8.3V output. There were many detail discussion on this here on M43 forum or Panny Compact forum.

Since GX85, Panny allows USB port for in-camera battery charging (but not direct power). Because this needs the camera to power off, the dummy battery route was very useful.

IIRC, some models like GX95(?) can be powered through USB port (either battery charging or direct power). Since then, the discussion on dummy battery has been turned quiet.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Old Timer63
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

You can run the camera from the USB adapter, but you must have a battery installed.

Which is braindead. As is the choice of USB socket.

To run the camera from mains/USB only, you'll need to go the dummy battery route.

-- hide signature --
Old Timer63

hindesite wrote:

You can run the camera from the USB adapter, but you must have a battery installed.

To run the camera from mains/USB only, you'll need to go the dummy battery route.

like this one I purchased

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DMW-DCC12-Dmw-Blf19-PANASONIC-Replacement-DMC-GH3K/dp/B07PFLZTB9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=battery+g9&qid=1597703590&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTVNXWjlLRVNEU1QwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODcwMDk2MTdTVk82TVg4UjBYRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjk0NTQwMTQ0VFZSR05RODU0SSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Dave

-- hide signature --
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 4,911

hindesite wrote:

It's that way because the USB route is not able to supply enough power to the G9 for all loads. Thus it needs some power from the battery.

Was discussed here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4247328/60673791

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 4,911

You can actually run the camera using USB, but you must still have the battery inside with some charge, since USB is not able to supply all the power necessary.

You might also need to enable "USB Power Supply" in the menus:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4347863

Here's another thread at another forum discussing it.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/charge-battery-whilst-in-g9-using-a-powerbank.96673/

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads