BROKEN LENS (40 - 150 PRO)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
kozmo888
kozmo888 Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
BROKEN LENS (40 - 150 PRO)

Good luck hasn't been following me for some time and yesterday is a prime example.

At my son's beach volleyball tournament yesterday my camera bag fell or was knocked off a chair and landed upside down. I had the 40 - 150 pro lens attached to the body at the time and when the bag landed upside down it snapped the lens from the body.

Is it fixable? Ball park cost?

Thought I should ask first...

Devistating...

-- hide signature --

Ron

drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,735
Re: BROKEN LENS (40 - 150 PRO)

If you were in the USA, there is probably a flat rate repair price for the 40-150. You will need to check with repair facilities in Canada, if that is were you live.  About 3 years ago the flat rate repair for my old 50-200 SWD lens was $252.00 in the US.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
AlaskaAce Regular Member • Posts: 110

Just went thru the same thing on my 40-150 pro. If I remember right it was about $360.00USD, of course shipping to them was on my hook. This is what mine looked like. Took Olympus USA about three days for repair.

They will give you a flat rate price if you fill out the repair request.

Jack

AlaskaAce's gear list:AlaskaAce's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +12 more
AlaskaAce Regular Member • Posts: 110

Found the CC statement $456.00 was the flat rate charge to repair the lens. They did an excellent job and the lens is as good as new.

Jack

AlaskaAce's gear list:AlaskaAce's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +12 more
goblin
goblin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,698

This is scary. Their flat rates have gone way up. $512 for a 12-100mm, $456 for this one...

I remember the time when the highest flat rate repair was for the 300mm f:2.8, and it was $350.

I paid $250 to have the front lens element of my 7-14mm f:4 replaced when it simply fell off the lens (I sent the lens without a front element at all, and kept the old front element which was pristine and which we later put to good use ).

-- hide signature --

Time since DPR's last real lens review: 512500 days

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +73 more
meow Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

My sincere condolences. What I sad sight.

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
Duskbat
Duskbat Regular Member • Posts: 330

im sorry ;(

maybe check with the credit card it was purchased under.  I think some AMEX and other cards offer some protections and benifits to help cover this.

-- hide signature --

What do my photos say about me https://www.flickr.com/photos/duskbat/sets/

Duskbat's gear list:Duskbat's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 9,892

goblin wrote:

This is scary. Their flat rates have gone way up. $512 for a 12-100mm, $456 for this one...

Flat rates for lens repairs ?

JIP will likely have a different approach to that, and probably  to the other ‘special’ services offered to the Nth American market as well.

Peter

John Pucel Contributing Member • Posts: 683

Mine was not dropped but the four screws holding on the back end all came loose.  Flat rate was $456 but they decided to replace it with a refurbished one.  Had it for over a year and still  works fine.  I now check the tightness on those screws ever so often.

-- hide signature --

EM-I MKII EM-1 E5 12-40/2.8 40-150/2.8 12-100 F4 11-22 12-60 150/f2 150/2 300/4.0 7-14 18-180 14-35 35-100 50-200 (SWD) 70-300 EC 14 EX25 FL900R FL36R HLD-4 HLD-7 HLD-9

John Pucel's gear list:John Pucel's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +16 more
kozmo888
OP kozmo888 Senior Member • Posts: 1,125

Thanks for the comments folks. My apologies for the lateness of my reply but I was away for a spell and honestly was just feeling a bit let down and had no interest in photography for a spell.

The lens is about 5 years old so it won't be covered.

I really appreciate your concern and help! Now on to finding Olympus.ca ...

-- hide signature --

Ron

James Pilcher
James Pilcher Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
dismay with broken kit

kozmo888 wrote:

Thanks for the comments folks. My apologies for the lateness of my reply but I was away for a spell and honestly was just feeling a bit let down and had no interest in photography for a spell.

The lens is about 5 years old so it won't be covered.

I really appreciate your concern and help! Now on to finding Olympus.ca ...

How did all turn out? Any repairs or options you found?

When I break kit, if it's not easily repairable, I look at the event as an opportunity to buy NEW KIT!!! New is always potentially so much more satisfying than repaired. For example, replace your zoom with the 300mm f/4 you wanted in the first place.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +15 more
kozmo888
Re: dismay with broken kit

Hi James

No. I haven't really had any time to look into it yet.  Other circumstances have forced me to set it aside for a month or so. Hoping to get it in before Halloween.

Thanks for asking.

-- hide signature --

Ron

James Pilcher
James Pilcher Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
A Halloween revival (!)

kozmo888 wrote:

Hi James

No. I haven't really had any time to look into it yet. Other circumstances have forced me to set it aside for a month or so. Hoping to get it in before Halloween.

Thanks for asking.

I hope you can get it resolved soon. Although my initial post was partly tongue-in-cheek, I know it can become distressing when an expensive and important piece of your kit is broken, especially when repair/replacement options are costly. Good luck to you.

Jim Pilcher

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +15 more
kozmo888
Re: A Halloween revival (!)

James Pilcher wrote:

kozmo888 wrote:

Hi James

No. I haven't really had any time to look into it yet. Other circumstances have forced me to set it aside for a month or so. Hoping to get it in before Halloween.

Thanks for asking.

I hope you can get it resolved soon. Although my initial post was partly tongue-in-cheek, I know it can become distressing when an expensive and important piece of your kit is broken, especially when repair/replacement options are costly. Good luck to you.

Jim Pilcher

Not to worry Jim. I'm actually laughing somewhat as the 300 f/4 is almost never off the camera and would have been the victim, so since it's almost never off the camera, it's been a little easier for me to get by sans 40-150. I do appreciate the humor, I just can't seem to get on here consistently so my posts go unattended for days ...

-- hide signature --

Ron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads