Owner of canon glass who can't afford an R/R5/R6, how about a7ii?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
andrewperk New Member • Posts: 8
Owner of canon glass who can't afford an R/R5/R6, how about a7ii?

Hello,

I've been using a Canon 7d with my canon glass for a while now, haven't really looked into the newer cameras until recently. I've been looking to buy a used Canon full frame camera such as a 5d mk ii or 6d. But it appears mirrorless is the way everything is moving.

Now I cannot afford the new Canon mirrorless, such as the eos R, R5, or R6. I have a budget of around 700 bucks and I can get a couple of deals on a used A7II with sigma MC-11 adapter to use my canon glass on it.

I only have 3 lenses a 17-40L, 300mm F4 L, and a 50 1.4, all Canon glass.

What is your opinion on going this route? I don't mind switching systems in order to have a more modern set of tech in my camera, however I would like to keep using my current glass until I can slowly get newer glass over time.

Or should I just stick with finding a used Canon full frame camera?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R5 Sony a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bigbradford Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Owner of canon glass who can't afford an R/R5/R6, how about a7ii?

Why not consider the canon rp?

Bigbradford's gear list:Bigbradford's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 2,757

Adapted performance on an A7ii would be rough.  Might be able to find a refurb RP for that price.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,454

I have not really researched pricing on the other Canon cameras you mentioned as I am not in the market to buy at the moment.

My suggestion is from my experience.  Instead of buying something just to get something make your money work for you.

1. Save longer for what you truly want / need. In the end it will be worth it.
  2. Buy used
  3. If you have anything you can sell to raise the money 
  4. Cut back on anything you can to see if will help. Can be eating outside the home for carry out/ restaurants whatever. IF you go to Starbucks to get a regular coffee every day that is a good part of $300 alone maybe more.
  5. Look at your cable use get rid of anything not necessary. ask for a reduction or special promo with you cell or cable etc.
  6. If you have a job use credit to get what you need with a plan on how to pay it off. I doubt most here have a disposable $4000 to spend right away. Have a plan but nothing wrong with using a CC if you are responsible with it.

I think we would all be amazing how fast you can find $1000 if we really wanted to.

If you buy what you truly need and not going half way you will save alot of money.

One day you will sell this $700 camera for $300 or something and pay $400 more for what you really wanted to begin with.

That is from my experience.

Last is the reality of the current world pandemic situation.  That question is how much are you really getting out to shoot anyway?  Myself not like I was Pre March 2020. Maybe where you are is different. Yes, your money your choice but it is ok to research and go for it, but sometimes it is worth sleeping on it and taking pen to paper and write down a plan with all options.  If you are happy with Plan A, great never mind my post .

pollup Contributing Member • Posts: 542

I suggest not to take the A7ii and not the RP either.

Those cameras are not very good, you will probably see a downgrade from your 7D, the AF will be slower, the battery will be a lot worse, the IQ won't be so good either.

Honestly, if you want to go mirrorless and you're serious about it, here's my suggestion:

1) wait for the A7iv to be announced/released, this should happen within the next 6 months.

2) a lot of A7iii users will want to upgrade, which means you'll be able to find the A7iii for under $1000

3) you sell your 7D and some lenses

4) use that money + the money that you saved, and get a cheap used A7iii. It's an amazing camera that you'll be able to use for many years. It can adapt the Canon lenses quite well, but you will also have native options (cheap and quality thanks to third party support).

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,742

From what I read, the A7Rii is much better for adapted glass than the A7ii.  So thats what I would go with.

Or try a refurbished Canon EOS RP when there is a sale. A month ago, Canon was selling the EOS RP with 24-105mm F4 lens for $1440.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,725

Can I take it that you have thoroughly researched the benefits of FF vs. APS-C before making your decision to go FF? If so, sell your Canon lenses and get yourself an a7M3 with the 24-105/4 or Tamron 2885/2.8. Best option in the Sony world at your investment level. The RP seems to be a good camera at a reasonable price. You can use your current lenses but you need an adapter that adds size and weight. If you are still open for APS-C, you can get very good deals on an a6500 or a6400 which you can combine with the 18135/4.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +55 more
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,113

tqlla wrote:

From what I read, the A7Rii is much better for adapted glass than the A7ii. So thats what I would go with.

I'll second the above.

Some statements about the A7II having bad IQ really are baseless, but AF will be better on the A7RII, as well as IQ (42mp & no anti-alias filter).

How well your Canon lenses will AF on an A7RII depends largely on your needs and expectations.

What does work very well: AF-S in the central regions with FLs up to about 300mm.

What doesn't usually work so well: tracking moving subjects with AF-C, focusing on peripheral focus points and FLs beyond 300mm can sometimes start searching.

That means that for static or slow moving subjects, performance can be very satisfying (that's my situation), for fast action, many sports and so on, you might feel limited compared to Canon on Canon or Sony on Sony body-glass combinations.

Using the MC-11 Adapter should be no problem. Using the Metabones IV, IV T or V *could* lead to corner sharpness problems with your 17-40 at the wider FLs, because those adapters are often a little too short (easily solved by shimming though, if you prefer Metabones for other reasons).

teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,774

andrewperk wrote:

Hello,

I've been using a Canon 7d with my canon glass for a while now, haven't really looked into the newer cameras until recently. I've been looking to buy a used Canon full frame camera such as a 5d mk ii or 6d. But it appears mirrorless is the way everything is moving.

Now I cannot afford the new Canon mirrorless, such as the eos R, R5, or R6. I have a budget of around 700 bucks and I can get a couple of deals on a used A7II with sigma MC-11 adapter to use my canon glass on it.

What is your opinion on going this route? I don't mind switching systems in order to have a more modern set of tech in my camera, however I would like to keep using my current glass until I can slowly get newer glass over time.

Thanks.

Don't see too many folks who only own high quality full frame glass but are shooting on an APS-C camera.

That's a very small budget for a mirrorless transition, and a lot of the full frame bodies that fit your budget are also 1st gen and 2nd gen bodies that don't have some of the mirrorless tech that you're hoping for.

Whatever you decide, I'd probably buy all used stuff.

There really isn't a full frame mirrorless mount whose high quality lenses are particularly affordable. With that kind of budget, I would also consider looking at m4/3. As a crop mount, everything in m4/3 is more affordable. It's been around a long time and so you'd be able to find used lenses. If you were to sell your L glass, there might be used versions of m4/3 glass that you'd find acceptable. Might not be able to replace a 300mm L prime perfectly but you could get a decent used zoom until you can afford to upgrade to a pro zoom or prime. Going to native glass more quickly would give you a better feel for the mirrorless tech you're interested in.

If you're going to move to Sony, given your budget, I would consider transitioning to Sony APS-C as part of a slow transition. You could replace the 50 1.4 with a used 50 1.8 OSS APS-C lens right off the bat. You'd have to decide if Canon glass on an adapter is usable enough for you.

Third party glass manufacturers are making lenses for Sony, so it seems to have a brighter future as a more affordable mount compared to Canikon mirrorless. There isn't a whole lot of Sigma DN glass for Sony yet though, it's still very early.

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +6 more
Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

The 7D is a very decent body, and you have some good lenses.  So my question is, given your limited funds, what is your current Canon gear not doing for you?  I personally don’t think moving to an older Sony mirrorless body will offer you much in the way of improved IQ or better AF.

Many of us have moved from Canon DSLR's to Sony mirrorless cameras and lenses.  I went with the A7R3 for its greater resolution and improved AF, compared to my very competent Canon 80D.  Contrary to my original plans ... to use all my Canon glass with a Sigma MC-11 adapter ... I wound up selling it all and replacing it with Sony lenses, or E-mount compatible lenses.  I was not happy with overall AF performance of adapted lenses.

So, my advice is to simply hold on to what you've got until you've saved up enough money to get into a newer design camera, either Canon or Sony.  As a side note, Canon has a fantastic refurb online store, where you can save on fully guaranteed factory refurbished gear.  Lots of bargains on typically like new bodies and lenses.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400
andrewD2 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,377

With different lenses I'd say A7RII or A7III. With the lenses you have I'd say 6D.

Andrew

lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,727

andrewperk wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

You already got good answers from others and as have been stated the A7II isn't the best for driving adapted glass, the A7RII is better but the best I think would be to try to find a way to buy a used A7III, that body is good with adapted glass.

Also research the lenses you have to see how well they work, it can differ from model to model. And also it can differ between how well they work on different adapters.

Another route would be a used Canon RP or maybe R (I don't know the price levels of used ones).

Or get a used Canon 6D, 6DII, 5D, 5DII etc for now and save money to get a mirrorless later and then sell that DSLR again to part finance the mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
Mirrorless, mirrorless on the wall, say which is the best camera of them all?
Some images:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64169208
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64221482

photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,788

It's not always a question of being able to afford it but sometimes the amount you want to spend. I wanted a mirrorless to adapt legacy lenses as well as using my Canon glass. For me the choice was the A7II with the kit lens (The only Sony lens I plan to buy). It fits my needs and my budget. I find the AF is adequate for stationary subjects, I use my DSLRs for action shots. The IQ is equal to the native camera, which is important.

I hope  you find the right choice for your needs.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +34 more
razorfish Contributing Member • Posts: 818

Like others I too believe the RP would be your best bet here. AF performance on another level with your Canon lenses, compared to an old Sony. If you do MF then sure the Sony would work well.

Don’t listen to the IQ arguments, those are based on chart pixel peeping. A real photographer will know that all these cameras have amazing IQ.

razorfish's gear list:razorfish's gear list
Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN Sony 20mm F1.8G Phase One Capture One Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads