Leica ISO DIal

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mmann1411 Forum Member • Posts: 98
Leica ISO DIal

Just purchased a used Leica M7 off eBay. The ISO dial will only turn 90 degrees counterclockwise. I didn't discover this until I loaded a canister of Fujifilm Pro 400H. At first it would not read the ISO speed but after turning it a little it did read the ISO 400 correctly, I assume using the DX code. I thought that it should be possible to manually set another ISO speed using the numbers on the left side of dial. Is this not possible when a DX coded film is inserted?

If I have to send it for repair any idea how much it would cost?

mmann1411's gear list:mmann1411's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +18 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,450
Re: Leica ISO DIal

So what I recall from DX coded film. If you camera has metal contacts inside where the canister rests then it has to read the DX code of the film inserted.  If you load the film yourself, meaning you bulk load like say like a college / HS students do or did for film classes then you manually set ISO, ie no DX code to read. Has to be done in the dark or maybe can be done also by feel in a changing bag.

Double check me (google it), but I think you can tape over the canisters bar code so it reads no DX.

If the camera chamber where the canister sits has no contacts there is no DX code to be read anyway for that

Maybe there is an override to ignore it, but that does not ring any bells at this time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads