Looking at buying an E-M1 II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MikeB2000 Regular Member • Posts: 130
Looking at buying an E-M1 II

There are killer deals on the E-M1 II right now -- from $899 new to less than $600 for a used one from a reputable vendor.  I currently have an E-M5 II with 5 Oly lenses, but have read on this forum that the E-M1 II will fit my large hands better, and of course it has a larger sensor, even better IBIS, and more.

I'm a casual photographer and probably can't justify the expense, but I like nice stuff.  And based on my well built E-M5, I would probably love the E-M1.

Don't really care about Oly being sold or the future of their cameras.  And at my age (old), I have no plans to upgrade to FF or APS-C.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kon1943
kon1943 Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: Looking at buying an E-M1 II

I just bought one my self  from ebay  with camera and a 12-40mm lens  it looks like new for 1150.00. I have been using Fuji cameras for the past several years and like them a lot ,but have only had the Olympus  for  a few days  and am loving it . I have a lot to learn yet but so far so good I too am a old man and don't care if Olympus is being sold this camera is going to last me a long time.

JT

kon1943's gear list:kon1943's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,224

If its size doesn't bother you, it's a great deal.  I'm happy with my EM5.ii mainly for its (much) smaller size/weight, so I'll pass on this.

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,354

A lot of camera for the current price and essentially on par with the E-M5iii, with a few performance advantages and quite a bit more rugged. Still enjoy using mine!

Your lenses will benefit from the bump to 20MP.

My $0.02.

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,724

Sure is tempting. I sold my E-M1 II a couple weeks ago and I'm suffering sellers remorse.:-(

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
BidinTime Junior Member • Posts: 41
Why upgrade?

dr jim wrote:

Sure is tempting. I sold my E-M1 II a couple weeks ago and I'm suffering sellers remorse.:-(

Why did you sell it?

I upgraded from the EM10 to the 5.2 to the EM1.2 over the course of a few years, as I slowly figured out what I wanted to concentrate on.

I've been happy with all, but the EM1.2 is the best. The current deal is incredible. If you shoot any action (sports) then you may notice a difference.

But I would not recommend an upgrade unless your current gear is holding you back somehow.

dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,724
Re: Why upgrade?

Too many cameras! I have a pretty complete Sony APSc line up, and a Sony A7R III. When Tamron brought out the 18-200mm it pretty much matches the 12-100 except at 42 mp w better high ISO performance. Close to the same size and weight as the Oly kit too. But, that doesn't consider the intangibles. I just plain enjoyed shooting the Oly more than the Sony.

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
James Pilcher
James Pilcher Forum Pro • Posts: 10,365
Do it

MikeB2000 wrote:

There are killer deals on the E-M1 II right now -- from $899 new to less than $600 for a used one from a reputable vendor. I currently have an E-M5 II with 5 Oly lenses, but have read on this forum that the E-M1 II will fit my large hands better, and of course it has a larger sensor, even better IBIS, and more.

I'm a casual photographer and probably can't justify the expense, but I like nice stuff. And based on my well built E-M5, I would probably love the E-M1.

Just do it if $899 is not a financial problem. You will absolutely adore the OM-D E-M1 Mk II. It is far more camera than any that preceded it.

I want some features of the E-M1.3, so I am considering that upgrade. There is no shame in "settling" for the E-M1.2. It will outperform 97% of all photographers that purchase it.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832
Sensational camera for the price - versatile

No text.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +3 more
OldGuy-Yuri Regular Member • Posts: 156

excellent camera, but keep your EM5-ii, if you can.
I have both and still use my EM5-ii more than the EM1-ii...
I use mysets a lot and have 3 assigned to buttons, so one press allows a quick setup for the type of shot I need to react to...
EM1-ii doesn;t have mysets. It has 'custom' modes, which will do the same as mysets. However these are only available on the mode dial, and can't be set for quick access with a button press...
Otherwise, on the plus side is CAF w/ tracking is superior, especially if you do any wildlife photos. The Hybrid PDAF/CDAF works great.
I also have large hands, not meaty, just long/big; and the EM1-ii does feel very comfy.
(adding a Fotodiox hand grip to the EM5-ii made a HUGE difference - love it!)

Thx
Yuri

Bnhead468 New Member • Posts: 8

I upgraded from a EM5.2 to EM1.2 a few months ago.

Advantages

- Video is WAY better. I found the EM5.2 to have soft 1080P while the EM1.2 in 24p C4K mode has pretty sharp 4K video.

- Focusing is better. I didn't run any super formal tests, but C-AF in particular seems a lot better.

- Ergonomics. I love the feel in hand with the 12-40. The 12-40 was just on the edge of usability on the EM5.2; for me, any larger lens (12-100, 40-150, etc) would have been far too unwieldy.

- Durability. I've only had this camera for a couple of months, so I can't say definitively. But I had to send the EM5.2 in for repairs twice. The first time was when I snapped the card door off after leaving the camera on a table with the door open. That was admittedly my fault, but it shows how not robust some of the parts are. The second time I sent it in for repairs was when the on/off switch malfunctioned, which is a problem that other people on this board have mentioned. So far, I haven't heard of any relability problems with the EM1.2.

Disadvantages

- Size. In particular, I miss having the smaller body with some of the 1.8 primes. I loved going out with the EM5.2 with the 17/1.8 at night and doing night street photography.

When the EM1.2 came out a few years ago at $2000 and the slow-ass video focusing, most people scoffed at it. But at the current prices (I was able to buy it new for $900 gray market) with the v3 autofocus firmware upgrade, I think it's an excellent deal if you're looking to upgrade.

ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067

MikeB2000 wrote:

There are killer deals on the E-M1 II right now -- from $899 new to less than $600 for a used one from a reputable vendor. I currently have an E-M5 II with 5 Oly lenses, but have read on this forum that the E-M1 II will fit my large hands better, and of course it has a larger sensor, even better IBIS, and more.

I'm a casual photographer and probably can't justify the expense, but I like nice stuff. And based on my well built E-M5, I would probably love the E-M1.

Don't really care about Oly being sold or the future of their cameras. And at my age (old), I have no plans to upgrade to FF or APS-C.

I just got a mint EM1 first model. Approx USD310. Screaming deal.

The lenses are where to spend the money. But you have those I see. If yours are not PRO versions, maybe upgrade those?

So yes, version II should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
OP MikeB2000 Regular Member • Posts: 130

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

(adding a Fotodiox hand grip to the EM5-ii made a HUGE difference - love it!)

I did the same, and it made a big difference, especially with the 12-40 f/2.8, which is my only Pro lens.

Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Contributing Member • Posts: 813

Go for it! I've got the Panny G9 and the E-M1 II, and it's a toss-up as to which is better, image-wise. The Oly size and general feel are better for me however. If you can, by all means get the Oly 12-100 for a great combo, which would be my desert-isle choice. 

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +5 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,792

I was thinking about selling my low mileage, 1 1/2 year old EM1.2 and getting the EM1.3. Now, with these deep discount deals on the mark II it makes little sense to try and sell my camera to pennies on the dollar ☹️

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,230
"larger" sensor

MikeB2000 wrote:

Actually the sensor of the E-M1 II is the same size as the one in the E-M5 II.  It just manages to pack a lot more pixels into it.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,140

MikeB2000 wrote:

There are killer deals on the E-M1 II right now -- from $899 new to less than $600 for a used one from a reputable vendor. I currently have an E-M5 II with 5 Oly lenses

Which lenses are those?
I will recommend spending the money on investing the money in a Pro lens if you do not own one. They qualify as 'nice stuff' and they are definitely worth the expense.

but have read on this forum that the E-M1 II will fit my large hands better, and of course it has a larger sensor, even better IBIS, and more.

Imagine an Olympus engineer flew over from Japan, measured your hands and made you a camera. The grip is really good.

Don't expect a leap in image quality.
I upgraded my M10.2 to an M1.2 and I saw no difference in photos.
My laptop throws away 14MP of my M10 and 18Mp of the M1.2,
Yes, ibis is a bit better on paper and the Pro capture + PD-AF lets me take shots I can not take with the M10 ... but don't expect any leap in visible quality.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 5,034

Mike do it.  You will be glad you did.  The killer deal on new ones from Olympus USA ends tomorrow night at midnight.  It's an excellent camera.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
cf782 Contributing Member • Posts: 827
I bought one with the new low price...

I sold mine earlier this year, intended to pick up E-M1.3, but ended up picking up an FF Lumix S1R instead. With the new low price, I just picked one MkII in place of Mk III.

James Pilcher wrote:

MikeB2000 wrote:

Just do it if $899 is not a financial problem. You will absolutely adore the OM-D E-M1 Mk II. It is far more camera than any that preceded it.

I want some features of the E-M1.3, so I am considering that upgrade. There is no shame in "settling" for the E-M1.2. It will outperform 97% of all photographers that purchase it.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

cf782's gear list:cf782's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +9 more
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 8,652

MikeB2000 wrote:

Don't really care about Oly being sold or the future of their cameras. And at my age (old), I have no plans to upgrade to FF or APS-C.

I just bought one from MPB for $850 if i remember, had just over 6k clicks, nearly new. They threw in 3 batteries and the tiny little flash, i was happy as those were not on the listing, i really like MPB. With that said, i have owned quite a few bodies to compare, in no particular order.

Sony A33 (my first ever ILC), Sony A77II, Pentax K3 and K5IIs, Canon 70D and M50 (still have the M50), Nikon D700 (3 separate occasions), D300 (twice and still have one), D700 (twice), D800, Olympus EM1 (gifted to my dad for last father's day), Panasonic GX850, GX7 (twice), G9, and now just bought my EM1-II. I also bought an old EPM2 for my daughter to learn on.

With all that said, i love the EM1-II, it's very good everywhere. The few places it's inferior to my G9 (closest competitor IMO) are mostly due to menu and button config, the G9 had a joystick and could program every button, even joystick directions. The EM1-II has a few functions i need to menu surf for regularly, if i could change one thing that would be it, but it's better with AF, bursts, and IBIS so it's a trade that's well worth it. Video AF is also so good, i was surprised how much i've been into video with it.

It's, overall, the best camera i have owned, from phones up to FF. Here's a handful i have captured so far. It's fairly small and light, lots of buttons, immensely fast AF, it's quite a camera. I should have bought this two years ago instead of my G9.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads