TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OP Blahdi New Member • Posts: 15
Re: TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

smithaa02 wrote:

Blahdi wrote:

Question: where is the setting for delay in TG-6? [is it self-timer?]

Press ok (quick menu menu). Scroll down until you get to self timer. Change to c (for custom self timer). Then press info for a secondary menu and change this to one second.

With this on, I find my images are more crisp and sharp.

In theory...bust mode (low sequence) can do the same thing...but for some reason 1 second delay images seem to look better.

thank u - i changed to custom self-timer, but unfortunately it is not working for me - i have the habit of moving the camera after clicking.
How do I remove the self-timer?
I changed it to Single shot, but when i press shutter button, custom timer still stays ON. (it is only ON for that mode of camera where it is set- Aperture priority)

RetCapt Regular Member • Posts: 384

Based on my experience making (at least) 11X14" prints from TG and other small sensor cameras, is that post processing greatly improves my final image. So I fail to see the logic behind the assertion that post processing should not be required to get 'nice' shots out of a P&S camera. OTOH, the term 'nice' is something less than a specific adjective.

Following that line of logic, if it can be termed logic, it would follow that if post processing is not necessary to get 'nice' shots from a small sensor camera then post processing is not necessary to get 'nice' shots from larger sensor cameras since the larger sensor is assumed to render better SOOC images. So when does it become necessary to use post processing?

There may be limited validity to such an assertion if one is interested only in media images where the image stays small, and in conjunction with it small size, is not going to be closely scrutinized.

But as a generalization I disagree.

I have several systems, ranging from small sensor to full frame. My full frame DSLR is the only one where I have found, based on my limited experience since I don't use it that much,  that I can use most of my images SOOC. But this camera, although now old, is a prosumer level camera where I can very precisely preset all the necessary parameters, so much of what I would normally do in post processing I have already done in the camera.

smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 214

I think the picture delay settings are specific to the mode you're in.  So if you set this when in multiple modes (say program & aperature priority), then you'll need to unset this in both modes.

Unsettings is pretty easy.  Press ok (quick menu)...then down until you get to the drive/speed setting.  Press right/left until you get to the original setting (olympus calls the default single).

smithaa02 wrote:

I think the picture delay settings are specific to the mode you're in. So if you set this when in multiple modes (say program & aperature priority), then you'll need to unset this in both modes.

Unsettings is pretty easy. Press ok (quick menu)...then down until you get to the drive/speed setting. Press right/left until you get to the original setting (olympus calls the default single).

I followed these instructions but the setting change did not take effect. There might be a bug in the firmware. I had to reset all the settings and then reconfigure.
Thanks for your help!

RetCapt wrote:

Based on my experience making (at least) 11X14" prints from TG and other small sensor cameras, is that post processing greatly improves my final image. So I fail to see the logic behind the assertion that post processing should not be required to get 'nice' shots out of a P&S camera. OTOH, the term 'nice' is something less than a specific adjective.

Following that line of logic, if it can be termed logic, it would follow that if post processing is not necessary to get 'nice' shots from a small sensor camera then post processing is not necessary to get 'nice' shots from larger sensor cameras since the larger sensor is assumed to render better SOOC images. So when does it become necessary to use post processing?

There may be limited validity to such an assertion if one is interested only in media images where the image stays small, and in conjunction with it small size, is not going to be closely scrutinized.

But as a generalization I disagree.

I have several systems, ranging from small sensor to full frame. My full frame DSLR is the only one where I have found, based on my limited experience since I don't use it that much, that I can use most of my images SOOC. But this camera, although now old, is a prosumer level camera where I can very precisely preset all the necessary parameters, so much of what I would normally do in post processing I have already done in the camera.

I used to have a older generation Sony cybershot (from year 2014) point and shoot (12Mega Pixel), and its auto mode gave excellent photos for landscape for sharing with friends on social media. They were not as good as DSLR pictures, but were as good as flagship smartphone pictures. Another example is that my samsung galaxy phone has a slightly smaller image sensor than TG-6, but takes better landscape pictures in auto mode. Hence, I assume it is possible for Olympus to build such capabilities in TG.

Note: This comparison is only about landscape pictures - Compared to my old sony point and shoot and samsung smartpjhone, TG excels other areas e.g macros, ruggedness, waterproofness and ease of use.

Here are few Hiking pictures After using the new settings suggested by experts in this forum.

I just wanted to share these to show the difference feedback from all of you from this forum made. Nothing else.
This is my last post on this topic.

Thank u all.

TG-6 picture - taken with focus stacking

TG-6 Picture taken in A mode:

Similar picture as above, but taken by Samsung S9+ Phone.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads