TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Blahdi New Member • Posts: 15
TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

I got a new TG-6 , and impressed with the macros and underwater photos.
However, I am having a hard time getting good landscape photos of mountains in daylight.
What are tricks to get best landscape photos of mountains with this camera in daylight?

- color is not deep/rich - green, blue

- parts are overexposed -

What I have tried
1.  shooting in Auto and Landscape scene. 
2. used Vivid
3. Locked focus on the bright parts and moved camera around - this helps a bit.

1. In picture below, its dull - not has crisp and the colors are not as good as my phone camera.

2. In this picture, there are lot of yellow flowers, but yellow color is not popping up.  I took same picture with my phone, and it was much better.

embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 2,035
Re: TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

Hi, welcome to DPR,

IMO your pictures are quite good for camera of that type (point and shoot).

Do you have better experiences with another, but same type of, camera ?

-Try to take pictures in "P" mode.

-Set in menu to maximum resolution and picture quality.

-Try out the other settings beside "vivid".

-If you find it needed, change de colour temperature in the WB.

-Personally I would take pictures in a 3:2 ratio instead of 4:3.

When, after this, nothing is to your satisfaction, than take photos with your phone only.

Success,

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +2 more
RetCapt Regular Member • Posts: 383

FWIW, I'll give you the settings I use on my TG-4.    I think the TG-4 and TG-6 are similar enough to carry over.

I use PROGRAM mode because it allows more manual selection, including +/-, which I find extremely useful.

The rest of the settings;  picture mode = vivid, wb=auto, compression = fine, AF area = center, meter pattern = center weighted, image stabilizer = on.

I have attached a snapshot, taken my first weekend out with it, so I was just testing.   You can see the specific data on the EXIF file.    Note that using PROGRAM, ISO was 100, f/# was 4.5, and shutter speed was 1/500.   These are the settings I would have chosen if I had total manual control over the camera, so to me that validates the selection of PROGRAM.

Although not necessary in this case, I often bracket using the +/- adjustment.    Using the - control I find I often can retain more highlight detail and increase saturation.

Full disclosure dept:   To me, no photograph, even a snapshot that will not result in a large print, is complete until I edit via Photoshop Elements.    So what is attached here is the product of the camera and PSE.

Besides this TG-4, I have a much earlier iteration, the 1030SW.   I still use this 1030SW.  I had gotten the TG-4 for the f2 lens, but when I don't have use for that speed the 1030SW works just fine.    What I can assure you from my experience with the 1030SW and the TG-4 is that these cameras are capable of outstanding results.    I have a 13X19" print (the limit of my printer) night shot taken with the TG-4 that is amazing.    These cameras  punch well above their weight.

So, keep on testing and learning.    Your TG-6 has what it takes to do an outstanding job for you.

Good luck.

smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 214

I take ton's of landscape photos on my TG-6. The following are my favorite settings:

• Use 1 second delay for crisp images
  • i-enhance > low for blue skies
  • Vivid and i-enhance tend to be too much...but can be used on low contrast situations like overcast skies
  • Turn off "keep colors warm"
  • In some situations I will use custom WB (the TG6 errors on the warm side)
  • I like to slightly under-expose to maintain saturation
  • Turn noise reduction to low...normal destroys tree leaves
  • For flowers...you have to use zoom (not to make the scene bigger but to compress the scene).

In some cases OOC jpgs can easily be punched up in PP. You don't need lightroom.... I find over-exposed images work fantastic with Gimp > Gmic > Dehaze. Under-exposed images look very nice after using Gimp > color > exposure > exposure.

I actually didn't think your images looked too bad.

The TG-6 can take decent landscape pictures...but isn't an elite landscape camera. Compared to other similar cameras it's midtones and highlights are exceptionally bright. This can be a good thing if you're shooting say in a dark canyon...but when there is a lot of direct sunlight (especially near the summer solstice) highlights can get totally washed out. As we near fall and winter your photos should actually get better as the TG-6 will be better equipped to deal with the darker blue skies. The over-exposed highlights mean in general you want to be closer to your subject if possible as things in the distance are more apt to be over-exposed.

The TG-6 actually has an option to use a built-in ND filter (aperture priority) which might help for some landscape shots to reduce dynamic range.

The following are some of landscape shots with the TG-6:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162931725@N08/sets/72157710712252142/?layout=justified

schaki Senior Member • Posts: 2,375

Turn off or down the Noise reduction as that helps to preserve details.

https://dpreview.com/forums/thread/4413720

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital Kyocera Finecam S5 Kyocera Finecam SL400R Ricoh Caplio 500SE Ricoh Caplio R3 +1 more
OP Blahdi New Member • Posts: 15

smithaa02 wrote:

I take ton's of landscape photos on my TG-6. The following are my favorite settings:

• Vivid and i-enhance tend to be too much...but can be used on low contrast situations like overcast skies
  • Turn off "keep colors warm"
  • In some situations I will use custom WB (the TG6 errors on the warm side)
  • I like to slightly under-expose to maintain saturation
  • Turn noise reduction to low...normal destroys tree leaves
  • For flowers...you have to use zoom (not to make the scene bigger but to compress the scene).

In some cases OOC jpgs can easily be punched up in PP. You don't need lightroom.... I find over-exposed images work fantastic with Gimp > Gmic > Dehaze. Under-exposed images look very nice after using Gimp > color > exposure > exposure.

I actually didn't think your images looked too bad.

The TG-6 can take decent landscape pictures...but isn't an elite landscape camera. Compared to other similar cameras it's midtones and highlights are exceptionally bright. This can be a good thing if you're shooting say in a dark canyon...but when there is a lot of direct sunlight (especially near the summer solstice) highlights can get totally washed out. As we near fall and winter your photos should actually get better as the TG-6 will be better equipped to deal with the darker blue skies. The over-exposed highlights mean in general you want to be closer to your subject if possible as things in the distance are more apt to be over-exposed.

The TG-6 actually has an option to use a built-in ND filter (aperture priority) which might help for some landscape shots to reduce dynamic range.

The following are some of landscape shots with the TG-6:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162931725@N08/sets/72157710712252142/?layout=justified

good suggestions smithaa02. I looked at your photos and now understand what level of landscape photos I can expect to get from this camera. 
thank u for suggesting the settings  - i will try them out..

embie wrote:

Hi, welcome to DPR,

IMO your pictures are quite good for camera of that type (point and shoot).

Do you have better experiences with another, but same type of, camera ?

-Try to take pictures in "P" mode.

-Set in menu to maximum resolution and picture quality.

-Try out the other settings beside "vivid".

-If you find it needed, change de colour temperature in the WB.

-Personally I would take pictures in a 3:2 ratio instead of 4:3.

When, after this, nothing is to your satisfaction, than take photos with your phone only.

Success,

eMBie

Thank u Embie. 
I used to shoot with a Sony Point and Shoot long back, and it gave excellent landscape pictures. Colors were vibrant. But, it was not as waterproof as the TG-6.
I will try the settings u have suggested. 
My phone (Samsung galaxy s9 plus) gives amazing pictures, but it takes too long to take pictures during sports (since there is no time to press multiple buttons et al). The TG-6 is definately easier to use, and it has a amazing macro and underwater features. Just have to learn how to use it better in Landscape photos.

RetCapt wrote:

FWIW, I'll give you the settings I use on my TG-4. I think the TG-4 and TG-6 are similar enough to carry over.

I use PROGRAM mode because it allows more manual selection, including +/-, which I find extremely useful.

The rest of the settings; picture mode = vivid, wb=auto, compression = fine, AF area = center, meter pattern = center weighted, image stabilizer = on.

I have attached a snapshot, taken my first weekend out with it, so I was just testing. You can see the specific data on the EXIF file. Note that using PROGRAM, ISO was 100, f/# was 4.5, and shutter speed was 1/500. These are the settings I would have chosen if I had total manual control over the camera, so to me that validates the selection of PROGRAM.

Although not necessary in this case, I often bracket using the +/- adjustment. Using the - control I find I often can retain more highlight detail and increase saturation.

Full disclosure dept: To me, no photograph, even a snapshot that will not result in a large print, is complete until I edit via Photoshop Elements. So what is attached here is the product of the camera and PSE.

Besides this TG-4, I have a much earlier iteration, the 1030SW. I still use this 1030SW. I had gotten the TG-4 for the f2 lens, but when I don't have use for that speed the 1030SW works just fine. What I can assure you from my experience with the 1030SW and the TG-4 is that these cameras are capable of outstanding results. I have a 13X19" print (the limit of my printer) night shot taken with the TG-4 that is amazing. These cameras punch well above their weight.

So, keep on testing and learning. Your TG-6 has what it takes to do an outstanding job for you.

Good luck.

Good suggestions RetCapt. I will try them out.

schaki wrote:

Turn off or down the Noise reduction as that helps to preserve details.

https://dpreview.com/forums/thread/4413720

great - anything to preserve details. That is one more missing element.

how do I use the ND Filter - just set to Aperture priority mode?

Thanks to all your awesome suggestions.
I have modified TG-6 to to these settings below, and now the 'test' pictures are better (see example picture below).
2 Basic Questions:
1. How do I see Peaking color in the LCD screen? Peaking color is set to Red - but don't see it anywhere ion the LCD.
2) how do I interpret the histograms (White, Red, Blue, Green and exposure histogram] 
Here are my new settings:
Program: P or A mode [either is used]

i-enhance low - saturation = +2. [ gradation is normal. I am planning to set gradation = auto]

iso 100 [I try to take picture at iso 100 if possible by increasing or decreasing exposure]

wb auto

AF

3:2 picture size - yes - makes a difference.

L-Fine

Stabilizer on

Flash off

exposure=spot

face priority = on

iso auto shift - 100 default, 400 max

lowest ss setting - [Q: what should this setting be?]

noise filter off

noise red = off

keep warm color = off

Tips to take picture:
a) modify exposure (using wheel) such that the picture is not overexposed anywhere.
b) For A mode, keep focal length to around 2. (for landscapes).

Next step: I will use these new settings on my next hike.

Blahdi wrote:

Thanks to all

how do I use the ND Filter - just set to Aperture priority mode?

Use aperture priority and choose the small aperture. The last/smallest aperture is actually a fake aperture setting...and actually the ND filter.

your awesome suggestions.
I have modified TG-6 to to these settings below, and now the 'test' pictures are better (see example picture below).
2 Basic Questions:
1. How do I see Peaking color in the LCD screen? Peaking color is set to Red - but don't see it anywhere ion the LCD. 2) how do I interpret the histograms (White, Red, Blue, Green and exposure histogram]
Here are my new settings:

I'm not sure...I think that is covered in the manual somewhere.

Program: P or A mode [either is used] i-enhance low - saturation = +2. [ gradation is normal. I am planning to set gradation = auto]

Gradation is tricky.  In most cases you want it off.  What auto does is in essence do shadow recovery artificially.  In some cases this can look ok...like in high dynamic scenes.  I also use gradation auto for macro to counter the shadows created by the flash.  But for landscape I prefer gradation normal (aka off...the default).

iso 100 [I try to take picture at iso 100 if possible by increasing or decreasing exposure]

You don't need to change exposure to change iso.  You can set iso directly...or you can set a max iso from the menu and/or you can set a minimum shutter speed.

wb auto

AF

3:2 picture size - yes - makes a difference.

I disagree with this.  The native sensor is 4:3...what you're doing is just cropping by using 3:2 which you can do in post anyways.  I suppose if a scene has extreme dynamic range (such as a bright sky) in special select cases it might help to use 3:2...but generally I prefer 4:3.

L-Fine

Stabilizer on

Flash off

exposure=spot

I prefer the default for landscape...but in some cases spot can be nice...especially when your subject is against a strong or weak background.

face priority = on

I keep this off...I suspect it doesn't help for landscapes.  If you do have actual faces it might help...I don't know.

iso auto shift - 100 default, 400 max

Which is ok in sunny conditions...400 in dark conditions might not be enough unless you have a way of stabilizing the camera for longer SS.

lowest ss setting - [Q: what should this setting be?]

I prefer auto.  If you were shorting a fast scene...say whitewater kayakers going down rapids you might prefer a min SS to freeze the action.  But that's dangerous...the camera only has two aperture settings...so a fast SS will simply mean more iso noise...or an under-exposed image.

noise filter off

noise red = off

keep warm color = off

In some cases "keep warm color" can look ok.  Usually "man made objects" (buildings/bridges/etc...) look nice with this setting.  While natural objects (trees/grasses/water) look better without it.  I don't think it is a WB setting per say...rather I think it just boosts the saturation of the reds in the image.

Tips to take picture:
a) modify exposure (using wheel) such that the picture is not overexposed anywhere.

That quick exposure wheel is awesome.  Under-exposing with the TG-6 is a great trick...but not an absolute rule.  When you under-expose you naturally lose some contrast and clarity.  Usually you want to fix this with PP exposure compensation, which not only brightens the highlights but also adds clarity/contrast back into the image.

Sometimes I will do the opposite and over-expose, the fix with dehaze...it just depends on the scene.

b) For A mode, keep focal length to around 2. (for landscapes).

The TG-6 lens does loose sharpness at max zoom.  I would only use zoom if you need to compress foreground elements into your scene.  Otherwise I prefer to be zoomed out.

smithaa02 - feedback makes sense. 
For now, I have disabled Gradation. Will test the settings, and then make other modifications as needed.

Regards.

And, I found that JPEG-Super-Fine compression increases the JPEG image quality. But, it cannot be enabled with RAW. Since I don't use RAW, I disabled RAW and enabled JPEG-Super-Fine.
Hoping to try these new settings soon. Thank u all.

Blahdi,

Thank you for responding to all of us.   That shows a lot of class on your part.    Too often a poster will start a thread looking for suggestions, information, guidance.    Various forum members will respond in an effort to assist the OP, but the OP never acknowledges, so the posters never get any feedback on their good-faith efforts.

You are above that.    You now have a wide variety of suggestions to try, and the opportunity to cherry pick from all of these posts which specific settings will yield the results you want.

This how a forum should work.

RetCapt wrote:

Blahdi,

Thank you for responding to all of us. That shows a lot of class on your part. Too often a poster will start a thread looking for suggestions, information, guidance. Various forum members will respond in an effort to assist the OP, but the OP never acknowledges, so the posters never get any feedback on their good-faith efforts.

You are above that. You now have a wide variety of suggestions to try, and the opportunity to cherry pick from all of these posts which specific settings will yield the results you want.

This how a forum should work.

thank u RetCapt.  DPReview forums has excellent and highly helpful photography talent!
Here are some urban pictures I took today evening with the new settings/tips learnt from this helpful forum. Pictures already look much better to me.

Love that '50 Olds Super 88.    A holy grail car from my youth.     An on-going and never resolved debate among car enthusiasts is which was the first muscle car.     The 49-50 Olds Super 88 is a candidate.

Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,439

smithaa02 wrote:

^ I think this is probably what will satisfy the original poster the most.

Agreed to turn down sharpening.

I don't think post-processing should be required to get nice shots out of a P&S camera. Though I have to admit I like the photos he posted as-is. The colors look good and realistic. It's likely the ones from your phone would look "overcooked" to a lot of us.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPRs

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +29 more

Smaug01 wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

^ I think this is probably what will satisfy the original poster the most.

Agreed to turn down sharpening.

I don't think post-processing should be required to get nice shots out of a P&S camera. Though I have to admit I like the photos he posted as-is. The colors look good and realistic. It's likely the ones from your phone would look "overcooked" to a lot of us.

agreed on the following- 1) i-enhance-low is helping with blue skies.  2) post processing shouldn't be required in a P&S camera . Plus, auto mode of P&S camera should give good pictures for landscapes, but unfortunately thats not the case for TG.
btw: in addition to above , Increasing saturation seems to be helping with deeper colors. A & P mode are helping give more control..

Question: where is the setting for delay in TG-6? [is it self-timer?]

Blahdi wrote:

Question: where is the setting for delay in TG-6? [is it self-timer?]

Press ok (quick menu menu).  Scroll down until you get to self timer.  Change to c (for custom self timer).  Then press info for a secondary menu and change this to one second.

With this on, I find my images are more crisp and sharp.

In theory...bust mode (low sequence) can do the same thing...but for some reason 1 second delay images seem to look better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads