Nikon D5 err message with nikon 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Flinstone New Member • Posts: 3
Nikon D5 err message with nikon 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR

Hello.

I have started to get the Err message when using the D5 in combination with the nikon 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR lens. Never had this problem before last week when suddenly I got the Err message on the display and some of the photos overexposed just before the ERR message appears. It happens very random and only with this body/lens combination. Tested the body with other lenses and also tested the lens with other body and everything is ok.

The Err message goes away if I just wait a few seconds. I don't even need to remove the battery or turn the camera off. I have tried to clean the contacts but the problem did not go away.

It also seems that there is a little play between the lens and the body if I try to twist the lens. That was always present in this body/lens combination since 2 years ago when I got the lens but because everything worked well I did not give any attention to this.

The aperture control lever on the D5 looks ok.

I appreciate any advice you have. Thank you.

Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dwayne Anders Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: Nikon D5 err message with nikon 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR

Hi,

A couple of things that might help.

Make sure the aperture ring is locked in place and clean the contacts on the camera and lens.

Good luck,

Dwayne

PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,214

I don't think this E FL lens has an aperture ring.

"E" lenses control aperture Electronically.

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +16 more
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,346

My D500 did the same, but with all lenses. It turned out to be a defective shutter, which was replaced under warranty. If your D5 is high mileage, and/or if it happens on more than one lens, this is possible..

Greg23D Forum Member • Posts: 77

Hi

Do any of your other lenses have this play with your camera?

can you pop to a local camera shop and test the lens with another camera and another example of your lens with your camera?  Also I read somewhere overexposing can be from sticky blades.  
please keep us updated, you have a great combo there!

Greg

Greg23D's gear list:Greg23D's gear list
Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356
On your lens....

Check for protruding stop screw. It is located on the opposite side of the contacts right below the locking flange. All the screws there are flush except that one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesmultimedia/5788704961

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

OP Flinstone New Member • Posts: 3
Re: On your lens....

Thanks for this suggestion but the protruding stop screw looks ok.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads