R5 - 1st curtain electronic OR mechanical shutter?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Mikeimages New Member • Posts: 3
R5 - 1st curtain electronic OR mechanical shutter?

Got my R5 a few days ago and I really love the camera. Could've been slightly bigger though, the buttons are a bit small, but I'll get used to it.

Out of the box, the camera was set to use 1st curtain electronic shutter. I changed it to mechanical, mostly because it felt familiar from my DSLR.

Which type of shutter is best to use, and in what situations? I know the drawbacks of the fully electronic shutter, but what about the 1st curtain electronic? Are there any advantages/drawbacks compared to the mechanical shutter?

Mikeimages's gear list:Mikeimages's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: R5 - 1st curtain electronic OR mechanical shutter?

Mikeimages wrote:

Got my R5 a few days ago and I really love the camera. Could've been slightly bigger though, the buttons are a bit small, but I'll get used to it.

Out of the box, the camera was set to use 1st curtain electronic shutter. I changed it to mechanical, mostly because it felt familiar from my DSLR.

Which type of shutter is best to use, and in what situations? I know the drawbacks of the fully electronic shutter, but what about the 1st curtain electronic? Are there any advantages/drawbacks compared to the mechanical shutter?

It would depend to what extent the fully mechanical shutter causes any kind of shutter shock.  On my Nikon Z6 there is an auto setting, that will use EFCS or Mechanical depending on shutter speed.  I thought anything below 1/200 would be EFCS and anything faster than that would be mechanical.

That threshold is probably different on the R5, but the R5 doesn't appear to have an auto setting anyway.  Sometimes EFCS can cause weird background blurring issues at wide open apertures.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
OP Mikeimages New Member • Posts: 3

Ok, thanks for making this clear to me.

I think I will use the mechanical shutter most of the time then.

Mikeimages's gear list:Mikeimages's gear list
Canon EOS R5
hwzjerry Regular Member • Posts: 118

Shutter lag is also higher with mechanical shutter, off the top of my head, 80ms with mechanical, 50ms with first curtain.

You also get 1/250 flash sync with first curtain vs 1/200 for mechanical.

hwzjerry's gear list:hwzjerry's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
Atlasman
Atlasman Contributing Member • Posts: 650

My rule of thumb is to use EFCS for slow shutter speeds. It will help with shutter shock. 
cheers

Nigge Regular Member • Posts: 193

Atlasman wrote:

My rule of thumb is to use EFCS for slow shutter speeds. It will help with shutter shock.
cheers

Seems as Canon really needs to give an auto mode by FW update.

Nigge's gear list:Nigge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +6 more
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Nigge wrote:

Atlasman wrote:

cheers

Seems as Canon really needs to give an auto mode by FW update.

Yes I'd love to see that.  Nikon has it, should be easy enough to implement for Canon.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 374

Speaking about risk of shock, the R5 has a so soft shutter compared to DSLR and even the R.

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads