Samyang 24mm T/S with d800e

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
WIMorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,846
Samyang 24mm T/S with d800e

This lens is clearly a 100% manual lens without any form of CPU and I am wondering if there is a way to make the aperture setting on the camera change when I rotate the sub-menu control wheel (the one on the front)?

The Lens has a max aperture of f3.5 but I normally use it at f5.6-f8 as this is the sharpest range but for metering I need to change the non-CPU lens data each time to get the camera metering aperture to change from f3.5 to whatever f-stop I am using.

Is there a way to make the f-stop change in the camera display and thus be used in the metering?

Hopefully it can be and that I am not missing something that is blindingly obvious

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +13 more
Nikon D800E Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,955
Re: Samyang 24mm T/S with d800e

WIMorrison wrote:

This lens is clearly a 100% manual lens without any form of CPU and I am wondering if there is a way to make the aperture setting on the camera change when I rotate the sub-menu control wheel (the one on the front)?

The Lens has a max aperture of f3.5 but I normally use it at f5.6-f8 as this is the sharpest range but for metering I need to change the non-CPU lens data each time to get the camera metering aperture to change from f3.5 to whatever f-stop I am using.

Is there a way to make the f-stop change in the camera display and thus be used in the metering?

Hopefully it can be and that I am not missing something that is blindingly obvious

The simple answer is "no" - it's not possible to change aperture using the camera dial when using a fully-manual lens.

However... when you turn the lens aperture ring, the camera's meter does take account of the changing f/stop and adjusts exposure accordingly (in A exposure mode).  It just doesn't display the actual f/stop or record it in EXIF.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
OP WIMorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,846

Brian

I know that you can't actually change the aperture in the lens using the camera as it is 100% manual, what I wanted to do was change the aperture ring and then alter the camera setting from f/3.5 to f/8.0 rather than having to dial in 2 2/3  compensation to work out the speed setting.

I will set the lens  parameter as f/8.0 in the non-CPU memory and try using in Aperture mode. In 'theory' the camera should work out the light for f/8.0 and I can stop up/down from there

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +13 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,955

WIMorrison wrote:

Brian

I know that you can't actually change the aperture in the lens using the camera as it is 100% manual, what I wanted to do was change the aperture ring and then alter the camera setting from f/3.5 to f/8.0 rather than having to dial in 2 2/3 compensation to work out the speed setting.

On a point of detail, the difference between f/3.5 and f/8 is 2 1/3 stops, not 2 2/3.

I will set the lens parameter as f/8.0 in the non-CPU memory and try using in Aperture mode. In 'theory' the camera should work out the light for f/8.0 and I can stop up/down from there.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve.

In the Non-CPU Lens menu, set the entry for this lens to its maximum - f/3.5.  With the D800e in Aperture Priority and the lens aperture ring set to f/3.5, let's say the camera meter chooses an exposure of 1/250th at ISO 100.  If you then close the lens down by one stop, the camera meter will adjust the exposure to 1/125th at ISO 100.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads