Firmware update for Sigma 35mm f1.2

Started Aug 11, 2020 | Discussions
yakkosmurf Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Firmware update for Sigma 35mm f1.2

I just happen to stumble across it last night on the Sigma website, and I hadn't seen any post about it. The firmware was released on 7/21/2020 with the following improvements.

● It has improved a rarely-occurring‘blinking’phenomenon during movie shooting.
● It has improved AF performance.

I have been very pleased with the AF focus speed of this lens before the update, so I'm not sure I'll notice anything after, but we'll see.

-- hide signature --
 yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a7R IV Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +9 more
Poefolk Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Firmware update for Sigma 35mm f1.2

yakkosmurf wrote:

I just happen to stumble across it last night on the Sigma website, and I hadn't seen any post about it. The firmware was released on 7/21/2020 with the following improvements.

● It has improved a rarely-occurring‘blinking’phenomenon during movie shooting.
● It has improved AF performance.

I have been very pleased with the AF focus speed of this lens before the update, so I'm not sure I'll notice anything after, but we'll see.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to update my 35 f/1.2 when I get home this evening.

Poefolk's gear list:Poefolk's gear list
Fujifilm XP90 Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +4 more
onfocus Regular Member • Posts: 153

I'd wait with updating! There have been reports from at least 4 users that the update has crippled AF-C performance and AF accuracy.

Glad I waited to read user feedback before doing the update.

OP yakkosmurf Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

Good to know.

I pulled it out this afternoon for a few minutes to try it out on my A7RIV. I bought this lens to get candid shots of my small kids who are in constant motion. From my brief test, the AF-C performance is actually a slight improvement. Swapped back to my 24-70GM, and the eye AF while in AF-C of the Sigma is noticeably faster to lock on.

But, I am just one data point.

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a7R IV Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +9 more

Good to hear a positive experience, thanks.

I have read from 3 users experiencing the following problems after the update:

User 1: AF accuracy degradation with the A7R 3 and 4 when using AF-C at F1.2 and at a distance further than 2m. But not with F1.4 and above, not with AF-S, and not with the A6300.

User 2: Generally significant more rejects than before, regardless of which aperture being used.

User 3: Not sure yet if AF accuracy has degraded but for sure does not see any enhancements. Experienced for the first time an issue where he could not change aperture anymore.

Above issues have been reported to Sigma Germany.

yakkosmurf wrote:

Good to know.

I pulled it out this afternoon for a few minutes to try it out on my A7RIV. I bought this lens to get candid shots of my small kids who are in constant motion. From my brief test, the AF-C performance is actually a slight improvement. Swapped back to my 24-70GM, and the eye AF while in AF-C of the Sigma is noticeably faster to lock on.

But, I am just one data point.

Sevan
Sevan Regular Member • Posts: 241

I updated mine and actually noticed a slight AF-C performance improvement on my A7R3. But as always I say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you are happy with the performance just leave it.

Yup, updated mine this evening, and have no issues is AF-C or AF-S at any apertures.  It actually might be a fraction faster now if anything.  So far, I'm happy.

Just to get a more clear picture - do you all use the A7R IV and if yes, with the older IV firmware or with the most recent (from last week)?

OP yakkosmurf Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
  1. onfocus wrote:

Just to get a more clear picture - do you all use the A7R IV and if yes, with the older IV firmware or with the most recent (from last week)?

Yes. A7RIV with firmware version 1.20.

-- hide signature --

onfocus wrote:

Yes, A7R IV with most recent firmware.

PeterL6312
PeterL6312 Regular Member • Posts: 439

Hi , anyone done the update and tested with A9 ?

I’n satisfied with current performance, so reluctant to update, but better is obviously better

-- hide signature --

Kind Rgds, Peter

PeterL6312's gear list:PeterL6312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +4 more
photomad Regular Member • Posts: 360

I updated mine and its a disaster now! At 1.4 or smaller its vaguely ok (but worse) and at 1.2 its terrible. It wont even show an eye detect square on a close face. And then it just pumps focus and 70% will be out of focus. Im talking to the Sigma dealer about downgrading or fixing. This lens was fine before this....

-- hide signature --

http://www.proimagenz.com
Landscape, Travel and Panoramic Photography

PeterL6312

photomad wrote:

I updated mine and its a disaster now! At 1.4 or smaller its vaguely ok (but worse) and at 1.2 its terrible. It wont even show an eye detect square on a close face. And then it just pumps focus and 70% will be out of focus. Im talking to the Sigma dealer about downgrading or fixing. This lens was fine before this....

Sorry to hear, which body ?

Thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --

Kind Rgds, Peter

Sony a9 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +4 more
photomad Regular Member • Posts: 360

A7R4...

Camera was originally on 1.0 but I update to 1.2 to see if it corrected it. Just as bad. I am in dialogue now with Sigma Japan so lets see how good the customer support is.

I will report back...

-- hide signature --

http://www.proimagenz.com
Landscape, Travel and Panoramic Photography

Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 351

PeterL6312 wrote:

I’n satisfied with current performance, so reluctant to update, but better is obviously better

did you update? I am using A9 with sigma 35mm f1.2. Not sure if I should update.

PeterL6312

Alantkh wrote:

PeterL6312 wrote:

did you update? I am using A9 with sigma 35mm f1.2. Not sure if I should update.

No I’ve not dared yet, same feeling as you.

-- hide signature --

Kind Rgds, Peter

Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 351

PeterL6312 wrote:

Alantkh wrote:

PeterL6312 wrote:

I went ahead and update. Initial test shots feels ok on a stationary subject, eye af works wel,

PeterL6312

Alantkh wrote:

PeterL6312 wrote:

Alantkh wrote:

PeterL6312 wrote:

I went ahead and update. Initial test shots feels ok on a stationary subject, eye af works wel,

Thanks for sharing, pls let us know your experience  after some mileage

-- hide signature --

Kind Rgds, Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads