Is it possible to change exposure without clicking +- button? [Z50]

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Nic727 Regular Member • Posts: 156
Is it possible to change exposure without clicking +- button? [Z50]

Hi,

I mostly use my camera in A mode where almost everything is auto, but I can correct the image to have the best exposure. However, I find that the fact of clicking the +- button and moving the control wheel is a bit hard. Is that possible to configure one wheel to be exposure and another one ISO instead of having the wheel doing nothing until you click the button?

I was able to put that you only have to click one time, but by default, the two wheels are ISO and aperture in this mode. But I leave ISO to auto, so it's a bit useless to have a wheel on ISO...

Whatever, maybe there is no way, but just asking in case someone know.

Thank you

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,567
Re: Is it possible to change exposure without clicking +- button? [Z50]
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Nic727 Regular Member • Posts: 156

Horshack wrote:

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z50/en/09_menu_guide_05_b02.html

Thanks. I don't know how I missed this while looking at all the menus.

Abhay Parvate New Member • Posts: 14

In addition to the "easy exposure compensation" pointed out by Horshack, you can also assign the Z mount lens control ring to exposure compensation.

Notes:

1. Not possible in manual focus mode, because you do need the ring to focus.

2. If assigned, then manual focus override in auto-focus modes is gone.

This is damn simple and attractive, and I am tempted to assign it to the lens control ring (Z6, but similar), except (1) occasionally (but rarely) I need to give the camera a hint as to where I want to focus by getting a coarse focus right with the ring, and (2) it does not work on F mount lenses, and I have one. May be I will give in some day.

-- hide signature --
 Abhay Parvate's gear list:Abhay Parvate's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
jthomas39 Regular Member • Posts: 379

A repost from a useful older thread on custom settings.

(f6) "Release button to use dial" I switched this to Yes.

I like this better.

I can switch from Auto-ISO to ISO by pressing the ISO button, letting it up, then turning the dial. Otherwise, it's "hold the ISO with my thumb, and turn the front dial with my index finger". A bit awkward.

And Exposure Compensation works great this way. Press the Exp button, let it up. Now the dial cycles through exposure compensation. I can take my time, viewing the effects on the scene, without having to also hold down the button the whole time.

Tom Hogan's Z6 guide says:

1. This has got to be the most dangerous Custom Setting on the
camera.

First, Nikon’s names for the options are terrible! The
option labeled Yes really means that a button press is equated
as a hold.

Second, unless you’re absolutely anal about your
control use, I can almost guarantee there will come a time
when you start to make settings (say white balance) then see a
shot opportunity and start trying to take the shot; of course,
you’ll want your Command dials to be helping you set an
exposure for that shot, but they’ll still be linked to the
command sequence you started.

Oops. Avoid anything but the default.

That's interesting. It's never caused a problem for me so far. I don't turn the dials while actively shooting as often as he does, I suppose.

EDIT--now, 6 months later, I've never had any problems with this f6 setting.  It's perfect for me.   I see that one advantage of this f6 setting is that the exposure compensation doesn't reset after a screen timeout.  (That's both good and bad, depending...)

goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,920

I set my back top thumb dial to be my exposure comp and shoot using it on everything.

Have one of the front by the lens button set for image review so I never have to take face away when shooting and previewing images.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads