Filter compatibility

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Ibanez New Member • Posts: 8
Filter compatibility

Hello, I currently have this filter set for my camera. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1272748-REG/cokin_ch300_01_cokin_p_series_neutral.html

Im wondering if they're compatible with this holder:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1324222-REG/cokin_cbpe01_evo_aluminum_filter_holder.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy57C84qS6wIVp9SzCh067gxQEAQYASABEgIwAfD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

Whats got me worried about compatibility is that the normal holder uses 1.6mm thick filters, which is what mine are, and the EVO (the aluminum one) says its for 2mm thick filters. Will my 1.6mm thick filters fit this holder? Thank you!

petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,693
Re: Filter compatibility

Both are Cokin P so will be compatible. I suspect the holder will take thicker filters than standard if required (like 4x3 welding glass if you wan't a cheap play at long exposures I've found these to be a bit tight in the standard Cokin holder).

 petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
OP Ibanez New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Filter compatibility

So those filters will work with that holder?

I have those filters and the cheap plastic holder, i want to upgrade it to a metal holder. Will that work?

I just purchased that holder. I hope itll work!

Confused of Malvern Senior Member • Posts: 1,454
Re: Filter compatibility
1

Yes, your filters will fit....but I'm intrigued to know what benefit you think the metal holder will offer compared to the normal plastic one?

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

 Confused of Malvern's gear list:Confused of Malvern's gear list
Canon G7 X II Pentax K-3 +1 more
OP Ibanez New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Filter compatibility

^i switched because my plastic holder broke within 2 weeks. I dropped it on the ground and then my dog got ahold of it and chewed it. So i switched to the metal holder. So my 1.6mm filters will work with that 2mm holder?

Confused of Malvern Senior Member • Posts: 1,454
Re: Filter compatibility

Ibanez wrote:

^i switched because my plastic holder broke within 2 weeks. I dropped it on the ground and then my dog got ahold of it and chewed it. So i switched to the metal holder.

That sounds like a fairly practical reason for switching!  I've had my plastic holder for something like 20 years and fortunately it hasn't suffered any such mishaps (hope I'm not tempting fate saying that).

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

 Confused of Malvern's gear list:Confused of Malvern's gear list
Canon G7 X II Pentax K-3 +1 more
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,693
Re: Filter compatibility

Confused of Malvern wrote:

Ibanez wrote:

^i switched because my plastic holder broke within 2 weeks. I dropped it on the ground and then my dog got ahold of it and chewed it. So i switched to the metal holder.

That sounds like a fairly practical reason for switching! I've had my plastic holder for something like 20 years and fortunately it hasn't suffered any such mishaps (hope I'm not tempting fate saying that).

Like wise I've had a plastic one for over 25 years & added multiple others in several sizes (all brought used, and usually for something else being sold with them) in the last 10 years.

None of mine have broken, even when I jammed thicker filters into them. I'm fairly sure I've never paid more than a tenth the cost of that metal one.

I think the metal version might be more compatible with wider lenses (wasn't it a single slot holder?)

 petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,602
Re: Filter compatibility

petrochemist wrote:

Confused of Malvern wrote:

Ibanez wrote:

^i switched because my plastic holder broke within 2 weeks. I dropped it on the ground and then my dog got ahold of it and chewed it. So i switched to the metal holder.

That sounds like a fairly practical reason for switching! I've had my plastic holder for something like 20 years and fortunately it hasn't suffered any such mishaps (hope I'm not tempting fate saying that).

Like wise I've had a plastic one for over 25 years & added multiple others in several sizes (all brought used, and usually for something else being sold with them) in the last 10 years.

None of mine have broken, even when I jammed thicker filters into them. I'm fairly sure I've never paid more than a tenth the cost of that metal one.

I think the metal version might be more compatible with wider lenses (wasn't it a single slot holder?)

I think the metal version has a seal to help prevent light leaks with ND filters. My plastic Cokin A is wide open on the rear. Even my GNDs can pick up reflections from the rear.

OP Ibanez New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Filter compatibility

Well, i hope itll work as itll be here Friday. We'll see though. I hope those 1.6mm thick filters work!

OP Ibanez New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Filter compatibility

The filters fit! Thank you you guys for the help!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads