Uncleanable dirt in a lens

No text.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,071
Re: Uncleanable dirt in a lens

If this is a poll, I vote against it.

OP Pakro New Member • Posts: 9

Hello guys,

I bought a Canon 10-22 lens second hand and found out that there was a lot of dirt inside of it so I disassambled the front element to clean it and I made sure that it was done properly using compressed air and accessories special for lens cleaning.

After reviewing the result of the cleaning I noticed there was still dirt that was showing up in pictures so did it again even more thoroughly than the first time putting in extra work cleaining both the front element and the lens behind it to make sure it's crystal clear. Unfortunately the dots are still there partially visibile but only at higher aperture but there is still one that shows up in the spot fully black that never got removed.

Is this some sort of permanent damage or why is it not getting removed? Thanks for insights.

Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,279

Are your "sure" you are seeing spots on your images from the dust?  Watch the attached DPR video beginning at the 2:00 minute mark and then think about other things that might cause what you are seeing.  I assume you have already inspected images taken with other lenses and they do not include the same imperfections.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4128862298/dpreview-tv-how-much-do-scratches-dust-and-fingerprints-affect-lens-image-quality

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,085
How bad it affects your output?

Before everything, better took sky shot on f/22 and also some from wide open to f/8 etc to see would those dirts on the lens will affect your image before any drastic action.

Not sure about your particular lens, for some modern lenses there would be component(s) inside a lens having few glasses elements inside a sealed cylinder that is not for self disassembling. Very often dust could get its way inside these sealed components.

The diagram of a Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6  zoom lens.

If the dirt will affect regular shooting, I would ask professionals to clean it.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,568

Pakro wrote:

Hello guys,

I bought a Canon 10-22 lens second hand and found out that there was a lot of dirt inside of it so I disassambled the front element to clean it and I made sure that it was done properly using compressed air and accessories special for lens cleaning.

After reviewing the result of the cleaning I noticed there was still dirt that was showing up in pictures so did it again even more thoroughly than the first time putting in extra work cleaining both the front element and the lens behind it to make sure it's crystal clear. Unfortunately the dots are still there partially visibile but only at higher aperture but there is still one that shows up in the spot fully black that never got removed.

Is this some sort of permanent damage or why is it not getting removed? Thanks for insights.

If the dirt is in front of the lens and you see it in a picture, then you have to clean the sensor, not the lens.

Sensor is clean, it has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to have it serviced. Thanks for replies.

Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,076

Pakro wrote:

Sensor is clean, it has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to have it serviced. Thanks for replies.

Good luck.  In the event it is not dust but a series of flaw in the lens element coating, and that is not impossible since you blew all stuff out and wiped down, you may not be able to afford the repair.   Sincerely, good luck. Let us know if you can.  interesting.

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

Pakro wrote:

Hello guys,

Simple test is to shine a flashlight into the lens and look for the "dirt" You would be able to tell if you got it all or not.

After reviewing the result of the cleaning I noticed there was still dirt that was showing up in pictures so did it again even more thoroughly than the first time putting in extra work cleaining both the front element and the lens behind it to make sure it's crystal clear.

Dirt doesn't really show up in pictures at normal apertures if its on a lens. If you are stopping down and see the dirt, it could possibly be on the rear element.

But generally when you see "dirt in a picture" it is on the sensor.

Unfortunately the dots are still there partially visibile but only at higher aperture but there is still one that shows up in the spot fully black that never got removed.

Do you have a sample image taken with the lens to show the dirt?

I have cleaned over 100 lenses myself, ranging from dust, fungus, haze, rust and water damage (yes i had a lense that had water between 2 elements).

IQ is affected from a dirty lens but it is very hard to see it localized in an image unless it covers a significant part of the lens surface.

Let us know if you get it fixed and what the issue was.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6

Gerry Siegel wrote:

Pakro wrote:

Good luck. In the event it is not dust but a series of flaw in the lens element coating, and that is not impossible since you blew all stuff out and wiped down, you may not be able to afford the repair. Sincerely, good luck. Let us know if you can. interesting.

What kind of flaw do you have in mind? What could manifest itself as dust but isn't dust after all? Also I don't understand what you meant by not being able to afford it? Maybe because the whole front element will have to be replaced?

fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,568

Pakro wrote:

Gerry Siegel wrote:

Pakro wrote:

Good luck. In the event it is not dust but a series of flaw in the lens element coating, and that is not impossible since you blew all stuff out and wiped down, you may not be able to afford the repair. Sincerely, good luck. Let us know if you can. interesting.

What kind of flaw do you have in mind? What could manifest itself as dust but isn't dust after all? Also I don't understand what you meant by not being able to afford it? Maybe because the whole front element will have to be replaced?

Can you show one or more images of such dirt in the photo? You can shoot a wall, sky, etc or just anything showing it. It’s best if you shoot the same thing wide open then f16 for example.

This way, you can get some valuable comments and potentially solve the issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads