Nikkor-z-70-200 f2.8 review on Italian website: terrific lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
as1mov
as1mov Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Nikkor-z-70-200 f2.8 review on Italian website: terrific lens
 as1mov's gear list:as1mov's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
Flowchart
Flowchart Senior Member • Posts: 1,365
Re: Nikkor-z-70-200 f2.8 review on Italian website: terrific lens

Your link goes to the main page of the site, and no review to be seen.

EDIT: Oh it was at the bottom page!

as1mov wrote:

https://www.nikonland.it/index.php?/articoli/evidenza/nikkor-z-70-20028-s-lobiettivo-perfetto-esiste-testprova-r474/

Sorry if already posted

-- hide signature --

Knew very little about photography when I decided to buy the awesome Nikon D70; learned quickly that this expensive camera didn't make me a good photographer.
Http://KristerP.wordpress.com

Flowchart

I now used google to translate the page, and the reviewer seem very, very impressed by the lens.

• the focus is sensational
  • the sharpness is sensational
  • it has no distortion
  • it has no chromatic aberration
-- hide signature --

Knew very little about photography when I decided to buy the awesome Nikon D70; learned quickly that this expensive camera didn't make me a good photographer.

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,729

Flowchart wrote:

I now used google to translate the page, and the reviewer seem very, very impressed by the lens.

• the focus is sensational
  • it has no distortion
  • it has no chromatic aberration

Conclusions from the article:

Pro

• the perfect goal exists, that's it. If it has defects they are imperceptible
  • the blurry is sensational
  • has no distortion
  • has no chromatic aberration
  • it's fast, it's silent, it's "almost" parfocal
  • in the video is unbeatable in Nikon house
  • comes out with a pair of teleconverters that are shaping up to be "deadly"

Against

• had to be put on sale for Christmas 2019 !
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +18 more
gabik Regular Member • Posts: 122

Great news, now if only it will become avaialbe (in Czech Republic) :). Seems already legenedary and mythical lens Looks like it may be finally comming soon...

-- hide signature --

www.artoflp.com
Awesome photo stories.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 463

My Italian is a little rusty.   Nice images, though.

some photo guy Regular Member • Posts: 264

Can't wait!

some photo guy's gear list:some photo guy's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402

there will be a wait

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a5000 Sony a6400 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +23 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402

and the rest of the world - likely to see Nikon do a F4 version once they milk punters dry for the faster f2.8 brother

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a5000 Sony a6400 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +23 more
Currantos Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Alert, possibly significant

I imagine Nikon can make a 70-200mm, seeing that they had the best ever previously.

BUT

I find a lot of the images slightly out of focus, yes, sharp, but sometimes it is the chin, sometimes it is the hair. I am not seeing "biting" sharpness on the eyes. Seems quite a few images are slightly front focused. Probably possible to adjust with focus microtune in camera.

In some images I frankly get the 58mm f1.4 effects, things are "sharp" but also veiled and softened somehow. This doesn't have the 'modern' feel that one often gets from very sharp lenses.

Then I realized you have to click on the image and bring it up. THEN it looks sharp.

Just a warning to others in case you are seeing the same thing. Must be the site compressing or doing something.

I got completely the wrong impression, thought the lens/focusing was soft but it looks good.

Just alerting others in case.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 463

Asti Spumante to you, too!

gabik Regular Member • Posts: 122

Probably. While waiting I am still debating with myself if to spend the big cash on this one or wait for the F4 though. But goodness knows when the F4 will come.

-- hide signature --

www.artoflp.com
Awesome photo stories.

Droster Contributing Member • Posts: 995

gabik wrote:

Probably. While waiting I am still debating with myself if to spend the big cash on this one or wait for the F4 though. But goodness knows when the F4 will come.

If you need the f2.8 aperture or see yourself using it in the future, then straight up get it and skip the in-betweens. But if you don't, get the 24-200 or something like the F-mount 70-200 f4 or the AF-P full frame 70-300.

Those lenses are like the F-mount f1.8G primes. Perfectly usable and more affordable alternatives. We don't know if or when Nikon decides to make Z mount versions of those lenses, but if those lenses are to happen, one thing is for sure, they won't be cheaper than their F-mount predecessors.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more
Flowchart

OK, maybe a bit premature but this is the review that finally made me pre-order

(and fingers crossed - I hope the queue isn't too long)

(And for people in Southern Sweden or Eastern Denmark I highly recommend the physical shop "Mattsons Foto" in Lund, the finest Nikon place around)

-- hide signature --

as1mov
OP as1mov Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Re: Alert, possibly significant

Currantos wrote:

I imagine Nikon can make a 70-200mm, seeing that they had the best ever previously.

BUT

I find a lot of the images slightly out of focus, yes, sharp, but sometimes it is the chin, sometimes it is the hair. I am not seeing "biting" sharpness on the eyes. Seems quite a few images are slightly front focused. Probably possible to adjust with focus microtune in camera.

In some images I frankly get the 58mm f1.4 effects, things are "sharp" but also veiled and softened somehow. This doesn't have the 'modern' feel that one often gets from very sharp lenses.

Then I realized you have to click on the image and bring it up. THEN it looks sharp.

Just a warning to others in case you are seeing the same thing. Must be the site compressing or doing something.

I got completely the wrong impression, thought the lens/focusing was soft but it looks good.

Just alerting others in case.

In the video I can hear the photographer asking the other guy how to control the focus point and how to set it so that it "does not move".

So it looks like the photographer is new to the system and does not quite master the focusing area method he is using, that could be the reason of the slight out of focus in the picture you were mentioning.

as1mov's gear list:as1mov's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
Incremental/Marginal value

Ok, so I am sure it is going to be good.

But other than being "native" and not having to use the FTZ will there be a benefit?

I think it is more important to answer the questions "Is it BETTER than another lens" rather than "is it good", of course it's good, it's Nikon 2018 lens.

A side by side would be more valuable then just an isolated comparison in my book. If performs identical to old 70-200 on FTZ but costs 300 dollars more? Hmm, not so sure.

I have a feeling it is going to be VERY difficult to improve on the F mount version "beast". That lens was considered the best by many reviewers and of course users.

It kind of looks identical only with housing incorporating the FTZ. Looks like on savings in weight/size, actually longer than the F mount. A minor reshuffling of the glass inside, 18 groups instead of 16 is hardly worth bothering with. To be new would be nice to actually have something new.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,435
LOL, Minor reshuffling?

I have to tell you, I will be astonished it it is not much better, reviews soon will decide. But if I were a betting man...

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 +14 more
Explain?

Like how could it be MAJORLY better. The only thing left to improve is

1. Corner sharpness.

2. Size reduction

3. Weight reduction

4. Prints money

There is not a whole lot it can do to improve on the F mount version.

A 5% in the center sharpness and 10% corner improvement is all I believe they could possibly squeeze out of it.

Flowchart
Re: Explain?

I'm currently using the older f-mount VR2 and hope that the new 70-200 will be nearly as good as the 24-70 2.8 S (which obliterates the latest f-mount version)

Currantos wrote:

Like how could it be MAJORLY better. The only thing left to improve is

1. Corner sharpness.

2. Size reduction

3. Weight reduction

4. Prints money

There is not a whole lot it can do to improve on the F mount version.

A 5% in the center sharpness and 10% corner improvement is all I believe they could possibly squeeze out of it.

-- hide signature --

Re: Explain?

I am lucky to be able to use the newest 70-200 F mount on a consistent basis.

That lens is SO good that when it misses focus it laughs at YOU for doing it poorly and messing up its performance.

No I am serious, that lens is approaching prime results in the center and the AF is SUPER fast and accurate. DSLR accurate and beginner photographer accurate, because I am a beginner. Once you get the hang of it I have blown up images 300% and cropped to the face from a full body shot from 30 feet away and it was fully sharp and detailed to use as a portrait shot. Pores wrinkles lashes and iris details and all. NOT because I am a good photographer in any way, I am not, I am a beginner with only a little bit of experience but because I was lucky and the lens is able to deliver.

VR is very good too, maybe not 5.5 stops good but GOOD!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads