What's a fair price for NX lenses these days?

Started Aug 10, 2020 | Questions
james _ Regular Member • Posts: 196
What's a fair price for NX lenses these days?

I haven't found myself picking up my camera often enough to justify switching systems yet. And I still really love my NX1. But neither am I compelled to keep buying more NX products.

I am surprised that ebay listings are still rather high - either the original price when NX was still alive, or even higher.

Specifically, I'm looking for the 50-200mm and 60mm macro lenses, but most 50-200mm listings are at $200 or higher, and the 60mm at $599 or higher. I would have expected at least $50-$100 lower by now.

Am I expecting too cheap a price even for a dead system? Or are there places other than ebay I can find them? Or maybe I am bad at shopping on ebay since I don't frequent there often lol

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Samsung NX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wahid Khan 1961 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: What's a fair price for NX lenses these days?

Here in the UK, I've found that the Buy Now prices of NX gear is much higher (often unrealistic) than what they actually go for in an auction sale. That being said they are still trending significantly higher than where I've been sourcing most of my camera gear for the last 2-3 years, namely CeX. In the UK they are currently offering the 50-200mm for £90 and the 60mm macro for £200. Both with 2 years warranty. Can't say fairer than that.

Appreciate that CeX may not operate where you are but maybe similar outlets exists.

Though I have much more Pentax lenses that Samsung, I still prefer to shoot Samsung simply for their focus accuracy. I've tried fine tuning my Pentax lenses to 2 bodies and failed miserably. Not sure if it's my fault or the cameras are out of tolerance beyond the 10 increments that the cameras allows me to adjust.

So my NX kits has been my go to gear 9 times out of 10.

Recently sourced a fair/good copy of the 16-50mm S from CeX so poor weather is not going to hinder me as it did in the past.

Wahid Khan 1961's gear list:Wahid Khan 1961's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX10 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 +33 more
kypfer Contributing Member • Posts: 673

Most NX lenses and accessories will probably continue to hold an unexpectedly high second-hand value simply because the system as a whole was on sale for such a short time, relatively speaking, that there will be camera owners out there who are still looking to expand their system and have no other option than second hand.

Eventually sufficient cameras will die (or fall out of use for other reasons) that there'll finally be a surplus of lenses and accessories and the prices will plummet.

Just make sure you've got a couple of good batteries for when it happens, 'cos it's likely they'll be unavailable as well

kypfer's gear list:kypfer's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax *ist DL2 Samsung NX5 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX11 +5 more
wpstl Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

james _ wrote:

I haven't found myself picking up my camera often enough to justify switching systems yet. And I still really love my NX1. But neither am I compelled to keep buying more NX products.

I am surprised that ebay listings are still rather high - either the original price when NX was still alive, or even higher.

Specifically, I'm looking for the 50-200mm and 60mm macro lenses, but most 50-200mm listings are at $200 or higher, and the 60mm at $599 or higher. I would have expected at least $50-$100 lower by now.

Am I expecting too cheap a price even for a dead system? Or are there places other than ebay I can find them? Or maybe I am bad at shopping on ebay since I don't frequent there often lol

I check eBay sold listings to gauge what people are paying for used gear. People can ask what they want but it's what it sells for that matters.

If you are in the US, KEH has a 50-200 in EX condition for $144. Their gear comes with a 6 month warranty so you usually pay a few dollars more that other sites.

-- hide signature --

"Sometimes I like to throw a grenade and run away."

wpstl's gear list:wpstl's gear list
Samsung NX1 Sony a7R II Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +2 more
doceyes Regular Member • Posts: 100

james _ wrote:

It is simple...supply and demand....or in this case demand and supply. There are still many using the nx series and want lenses. Good condition lenses are in very limited supply and therefore those selling can ask for higher prices than expected.

doceyes's gear list:doceyes's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Pentax 645D Samsung NX1 Pentax K-1
OP james _ Regular Member • Posts: 196

i would have imagined many more NX users switched systems than simply stayed, creating more supply than demand. but i suppose it wasn't a very popular system to begin with, so sparse supply all around

Kisaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,287

james _ wrote:

i would have imagined many more NX users switched systems than simply stayed, creating more supply than demand. but i suppose it wasn't a very popular system to begin with, so sparse supply all around

There are a lot more users than we anticipate, most people with NX I know have stayed put as the NX cameras were significantly future proof (especially the latest NX1 and 500) and the rest are good enough for casual shooters, amateurs and enthusiasts.

A NX300 is good enough if you compare it with older Fuji and m43 cameras in general, and most Canon M and older dSLRs.

NX1/NX500 do not overheat for at least 70 minutes straight, 4K video with advanced bitrates (hacking), still best user interface/touch implementation, amazing ergonomics (for both in their categories), 28mgpxls BSI sensor, amazingly fast operation and fps, very clever lens selection for most people (great small/tiny pancakes, cheap prices, amazing S pro lenses - but just 2 of them, only system with native fish eye, e.t.c)

From next year with more releases from Fuji/Panasonic (we are expecting video workhorses from both) there will be a definite shift though, but mostly from professionals.

Kisaha wrote:

james _ wrote:

There are a lot more users than we anticipate, most people with NX I know have stayed put as the NX cameras were significantly future proof (especially the latest NX1 and 500) and the rest are good enough for casual shooters, amateurs and enthusiasts.

A NX300 is good enough if you compare it with older Fuji and m43 cameras in general, and most Canon M and older dSLRs.

I very much agree with this. After I bought my first NX500 (well after Samsung pulled out), I was so impressed, I bought 2 more as back-ups. As a still shooter, it's almost perfect for me. A view finder and weather sealing would have been perfection. I also bought a NX1 on the strength of this experience. An absolute gem of a camera!

So, whilst Samsung may not be enticing many new users, some like me may be holding on to and investing further in their kit as they are quite happy with it's performance even in 2020.

I'm not a heavy user - but I have to say, to date I've not had a single failure or issue with any of the gear. Some of the kit has a low cost, 'plasticy' feel to it, but if not abused, behaves and lasts very well. I hope this is not tempting fate, but I feel it's worth saying.

The brand may be dead, but what is still in circulation will keep many of us happy for many years to come...I hope.

OP james _ Regular Member • Posts: 196

don't have to convince me. i kept mine too, after all

IMO it was only in the past year or two that new cameras came out that actually were better with a significant enough margin to consider switching. not to mention a lot of the brands switching focus to full-frame...leaving APS-C mirrorless a little lonelier

markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586

Same here. Actually, since the exit from the market I've bought quite a bit of NX kits, both bodies and lenses.

I'm so far down the NX rabbit hole that it would be difficult for me to move systems. If I was forced to switch I'd probably go for something like the Sony RXiv, although I'd certainly miss some of my lenses.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more

james _ wrote:

IMO it was only in the past year or two that new cameras came out that actually were better with a significant enough margin to consider switching. not to mention a lot of the brands switching focus to full-frame...leaving APS-C mirrorless a little lonelier

I can see why recent developments may be tempting to some people if the newer kit meets the needs of their type of photography. This is especially true if you need/want FF.

I'm fortunate in that my primary love is landscape and relative static subjects. So super-fast tracking is no big deal. I don't do large prints so APS-C is more that adequate for me. I have most of the NX lenses and most of the great Pentax DA Limited series. Again suited to my type of shooting.

I don't shoot video which I have an excellent option of with the NX1 and NX500. This last habit may change soon as I've recently become a granddad and may get the dreaded 'videoing grandchildren' bug.

I'm also fortunate in sourcing all my NX gear second-hand at very good prices so could probably recoup most if not all of it if I sold. I may even make a small profit! However, what would I replace it with and how much would the net cost be? Would the resulting output be significantly better and the overall experience more 'fun'? I think this last question is the real crunch point.

For example; I very briefly considered changing to Fujifilm. Today my favourite second-hand source has as a Fujifilm TX-3 body (Grade A) for £890. Whilst they would sell me a Samsung NX1, same grade, for £515 (admittedly none in stock at the moment). Close to half the price with the same 2 year warranty. A Nikon Z6 would be over £1200. For me, with my budget, and I appreciate that this applies to my specific set of circumstances, I can't get even close to the value for money that the NX system represents. I've even factored in kit dying on me.

As MarkyBoy81 says, I sometime feel that I'm far too deep into the 'NX rabbit hole' to switch. However on serious reflection I find myself very comfortable and happy with that.

Stay safe all.

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

james _ wrote:

I can see why recent developments may be tempting to some people if the newer kit meets the needs of their type of photography. This is especially true if you need/want FF.

I'm fortunate in that my primary love is landscape and relative static subjects. So super-fast tracking is no big deal. I don't do large prints so APS-C is more that adequate for me. I have most of the NX lenses and most of the great Pentax DA Limited series. Again suited to my type of shooting.

I don't shoot video which I have an excellent option of with the NX1 and NX500. This last habit may change soon as I've recently become a granddad and may get the dreaded 'videoing grandchildren' bug.

I'm also fortunate in sourcing all my NX gear second-hand at very good prices so could probably recoup most if not all of it if I sold. I may even make a small profit! However, what would I replace it with and how much would the net cost be? Would the resulting output be significantly better and the overall experience more 'fun'? I think this last question is the real crunch point.

For example; I very briefly considered changing to Fujifilm. Today my favourite second-hand source has as a Fujifilm TX-3 body (Grade A) for £890. Whilst they would sell me a Samsung NX1, same grade, for £515 (admittedly none in stock at the moment). Close to half the price with the same 2 year warranty. A Nikon Z6 would be over £1200. For me, with my budget, and I appreciate that this applies to my specific set of circumstances, I can't get even close to the value for money that the NX system represents. I've even factored in kit dying on me.

As MarkyBoy81 says, I sometime feel that I'm far too deep into the 'NX rabbit hole' to switch. However on serious reflection I find myself very comfortable and happy with that.

Stay safe all.

As far as rabbit holes go, it's not a bad place to be!

Out of interest, what's your favourite second hand source?

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

james _ wrote:

Stay safe all.

In the UK, CeX. I just love their 2 flat warranty on everything.

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

james _ wrote:

Stay safe all.

In the UK, CeX. I just love their 2 flat warranty on everything.

Being in the UK as well I suspected it was them. I agree the warranty is great. Luckily I've never had to make a claim so I don't know how easy it would be.

But there returns process is easy and it's good you can pop into the shop to return online orders. This is handy as they are renowned for sending the wrong thing!

Being in the UK as well I suspected it was them. I agree the warranty is great. Luckily I've never had to make a claim so I don't know how easy it would be.

But there returns process is easy and it's good you can pop into the shop to return online orders. This is handy as they are renowned for sending the wrong thing!

Agreed! I've given detailed examples of their haphazard descriptions of items in another thread for the benefit of those who haven't used them before. I've also mentioned that after 2 weeks they give vouchers and not a money refund, however, as a regular customer that doesn't bother me too much.

On the plus side, they tend to 'hit' more often than 'miss' and by having a local store, the few inconveniences are well worth it for me.

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Agreed! I've given detailed examples of their haphazard descriptions of items in another thread for the benefit of those who haven't used them before. I've also mentioned that after 2 weeks they give vouchers and not a money refund, however, as a regular customer that doesn't bother me too much.

On the plus side, they tend to 'hit' more often than 'miss' and by having a local store, the few inconveniences are well worth it for me.

Does that mean after 2 weeks if the item develops a fault they just give out vouchers?

I've always returned within the 14 days so far as I've only had the wrong product or something has been dead in arrival.

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Does that mean after 2 weeks if the item develops a fault they just give out vouchers?

I've always returned within the 14 days so far as I've only had the wrong product or something has been dead in arrival.

Yes, I'm afraid so. I very recently bought a Pentax K3ii and my 14 days are up. I've not had a chance to test it thoroughly. Not tested the GPS at all yet. So I would have to settle for vouchers. I think you may be able to argue a case if you run over a few days and have a complex piece of kit, like most modern cameras are...but be warned.

PS - I recently returned an item using their free post system. This was within the 14 days, and via post rather than store due to Covid-19. They refunded my postage cost as well, something I wasn't expecting.

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Yes, I'm afraid so. I very recently bought a Pentax K3ii and my 14 days are up. I've not had a chance to test it thoroughly. Not tested the GPS at all yet. So I would have to settle for vouchers. I think you may be able to argue a case if you run over a few days and have a complex piece of kit, like most modern cameras are...but be warned.

PS - I recently returned an item using their free post system. This was within the 14 days, and via post rather than store due to Covid-19. They refunded my postage cost as well, something I wasn't expecting.

That's a really good service.

I guess you would also have some recourse under the SOGA, but I'd probably only go down that route if it was a very expensive item. I'd likely be happy to have vouchers to buy something else from there and I've heard they're valid until the year 3000 so that's always a good sign 🙂

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Perhaps I should add a not so good experience with CeX.

One of the issues is that things are not described particularly well so when I bought a Sony flash I was expecting it to fit my camera as the flash was simply listed as Sony fit.

when it arrived it didn't fit the camera and I since realised that Sony produces different types of hot shoe fittings.

I returned it to store today only two days after it arrived and explained the issue. I was told that I would have to accept a voucher as I changed my mind apparently! I had to plead my case to say that I had no way of knowing that it wasn't going to fit as the description was poor.

I eventually got a full refund but it was quite a lot of hassle and I think in the future I'll be more wary.

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Perhaps I should add a not so good experience with CeX.

One of the issues is that things are not described particularly well so when I bought a Sony flash I was expecting it to fit my camera as the flash was simply listed as Sony fit.

when it arrived it didn't fit the camera and I since realised that Sony produces different types of hot shoe fittings.

I returned it to store today only two days after it arrived and explained the issue. I was told that I would have to accept a voucher as I changed my mind apparently! I had to plead my case to say that I had no way of knowing that it wasn't going to fit as the description was poor.

I eventually got a full refund but it was quite a lot of hassle and I think in the future I'll be more wary.

That's not a great experience. Given that their descriptions are notoriously brief and that they use stock photos (often of the wrong item), it should have been a straight forward return. I think local managers are given a degree of discretion and yours should not have argued the point.

I have written to their on-line support team specifically about this sort of issue. I got the usual 'thank you for your feedback and we endeavour to blah blah blah'. Needless to say things haven't changed. Shame really... the only major fly in this particular ointment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads