KUVRD Universal Camera Strap - Failure

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
NoTicket Regular Member • Posts: 207
KUVRD Universal Camera Strap - Failure

Disclosures: I kickstarted the KUVRD Universal Camera Strap because I was interested in the product and the idea. I kickstarted the campaign to the level that got me two camera straps and a wrist strap. I paid $130.

Before I even get started, I want to post the following photo demonstrating that the camera strap has failed me within 72 hours of receiving in the mail.

The hook on the left has twisted, causing the strap to free from the camera while picking it up.

Here is all it took to have this strap fail me: I left it attached to the camera, and I placed the camera in the center console of my SUV. The weight of the camera and lens pressing down on the strap was all it took to bend (camera was an EOS R, lens was RF 70-200 f/2.8). When I went to take the camera out of the center console, I grabbed the camera by the strap, and when it came out of the center console, it was hanging by only a single hook.

It had slipped out of the bent hook.

Now, here are some nice things about the strap:

It's nice to be able to take the straps off and put them on super quickly, and have nothing left on the camera, like the Peak Design anchors, to get in your way.

The strap is low key.

It is relatively comfortable.

However, I would never recommend anybody to buy this strap, primarily because of the ease with which the hooks can fail.

After having this happen accidentally to me, I attached it back to the camera, and with an alarmingly small amount of twisting force, straightened the hook. I then checked how little force it would take to bend out of shape in order to slip free, and it was very little. I am not a professional reviewer and don't have any tools to reliably apply a force of this kind and determine how much was applied.

In addition to the twisting issue, it does not really appear that the item that shipped has anodized aluminum hardware, and appears matte in all of their product materials. Instead, on the shipping product the hardware glossy, and appears to be paint, and has already worn off in some locations after a single weekend. If it is anodized, the anodization is quite poor. Note that this was primarily a relaxing weekend, I was not out trekking through jungles.

Paint is missing from the inner surface of the hook.

theoverratedphotog
theoverratedphotog Contributing Member • Posts: 971
Re: KUVRD Universal Camera Strap - Failure

Mine should arrive soon so I should be able to validate your findings. It's definitely a concern. From the sounds of it, this would only be suitable for smaller cameras

theoverratedphotog's gear list:theoverratedphotog's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +9 more
hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,738

Having never heard of this strap I am curious what about the campaign was intriguing, prompting you to invest in a kickstarter campaign rather than going with one of multiple other proven options at far less cost? It looks essentially like any other strap, although very expensive, and obviously built around a very poorly designed attachment given your experience. Looking at your image, however, I would have anticipated inadvertent release and drop of camera rather than total failure. 
Good luck in dealing with them, probably better contact them real quick!

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8
theoverratedphotog

hikerdoc wrote:

Having never heard of this strap I am curious what about the campaign was intriguing, prompting you to invest in a kickstarter campaign rather than going with one of multiple other proven options at far less cost? It looks essentially like any other strap, although very expensive, and obviously built around a very poorly designed attachment given your experience. Looking at your image, however, I would have anticipated inadvertent release and drop of camera rather than total failure.

I've had some very good outcomes with Kickstarter. I picked up my Shimoda gear at 50% off retail price and that was amazing.

I also picked up my Foldio 3 from there.

There are some risks but you have to choose your campaigns selectively

Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +9 more
OP NoTicket Regular Member • Posts: 207

hikerdoc wrote:

I backed it because I thought it was an interesting attempt at something novel. I don’t feel let down, and I’m not seeking a refund. Buyer beware with Kickstarter.

The novelty thing is what I don’t understand ; what part of this is novel that caught your attention sufficiently to part with that much money? Quick release clips are all over, cute trade names with dropped vowels has already been done as well. I see an expensive strap with flimsy looking clips that scream “dropped camera”, and wonder what unmet need did this thing promise to fill?

Thanks for reporting. Hopefully this will prevent a few mishaps from being reported here.

Apple iPhone 8
theoverratedphotog

For me, it was the annoyance of having split rings on my camera. I only want a wrist strap or strap occasionally. I hate the Peak Design dangly things.

The clips aren't supposed to be fragile. If it was made correctly these would be fine.

OP NoTicket Regular Member • Posts: 207

theoverratedphotog wrote:

For me, it was the annoyance of having split rings on my camera. I only want a wrist strap or strap occasionally. I hate the Peak Design dangly things.

The clips aren't supposed to be fragile. If it was made correctly these would be fine.

Yes, this is the new and interesting thing. There isn’t any other camera strap on the market like it, for its easy on/off with nothing left on the camera, but I think that is probably for a reason. Maybe if the hooks were made of steel instead of aluminum, or a stronger aluminum alloy, it would be different.

Recently I saw Lucky Camera straps which has what seems to be a much safer way to do this, tho it will be less quick to put on and off.

Thanks, fair enough. I am sensitive to failures in novelty attachments. I had an early Black Rapid years back. The carabiner lock came loose dropping a D700 with 24-70 lens. That system has been extensively redesigned to correct the major design flaw and the repeated threads of failures have disappeared, the company has survived, but I got rid of mine immediately never again to consider.

Good luck with Lucky!

Apple iPhone 8
The Grumpy Snapper Regular Member • Posts: 382

The split rings allow a certain amount of movement/twist between the strap lug and the strap attachment.

-- hide signature --

It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it. I wonder if carpenters list the hammers they use on carpentry forums.

calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,429
Poor design - buy OP/Tech straps instead

I use Op/tech neoprene camera straps with quick release buckles and verified when I received the first one that as with the now discontinued Tamarc straps that if I pushed in only one side of the buckle it would not release the strap.

The neoprene section of the OP/tech USA strap cushions well and does not slide off my shoulder and it acts like a shock absorber when carrying a heavy camera and lens combo.

The OP/Tech USA 3401002 compact sling sells for $14.00 and other versions are available. I recommend getting a strap with the neoprene only strap as the ones with fabric coverings do not work nearly as well.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,502

NoTicket wrote:

theoverratedphotog wrote:

Yes, this is the new and interesting thing. There isn’t any other camera strap on the market like it, for its easy on/off with nothing left on the camera, but I think that is probably for a reason. Maybe if the hooks were made of steel instead of aluminum, or a stronger aluminum alloy, it would be different.

Recently I saw Lucky Camera straps which has what seems to be a much safer way to do this, tho it will be less quick to put on and off.

Nothing like it? Perhaps that's because it's a bad design. To have a snap link that is thin enough to fit all sorts of camera D rings is problematic, and why camera manufacturers and others don't do it. But require you thread webbing through or use something like the PD. Or attach at the tripod screw. Or use the strap itself, like the Lucky Strap.

This looks like a rebranded luggage strap. And yeah, I have used one as a camera strap before but only after fitting a bigger D ring.

It doesn't appear they are paying attention to details, QC, testing, etc.

DavidBarron New Member • Posts: 2

I have had the same problem.  Although there is even a worse element about it.  I had the strap come off on one side on its own 4 times in the first 15 minutes of shooting ..I am an event photographer.  I was able to reproduce it in a video and have sent it to KUVRD.  I use 2 Canon 5D mark IV's with 24-70 and 70-200.  It happened on the 24-70 - I had a different strap on my long lens thank god.

DavidBarron New Member • Posts: 2

Here is the video of how the KUVRD camera strap clip comes off by itself.    https://vimeo.com/462376332

egk4260 Contributing Member • Posts: 774

It is interesting that you can still find a little video on the strap on their site, but any shopping links only show the lens caps and face masks. Has this product already been withdrawn?

theoverratedphotog

egk4260 wrote:

It is interesting that you can still find a little video on the strap on their site, but any shopping links only show the lens caps and face masks. Has this product already been withdrawn?

I suspect so

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads