Do I need an extender? Camera system choice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Musicall New Member • Posts: 1
Do I need an extender? Camera system choice

I’m about to make a very long overdue leap into full frame mirrorless.

I have no brand loyalty as it will be a complete system change.

I’m currently choosing between the Canon R5 and Sony A7IV. I think I’m favouring the Canon but as landscape is my main interest should I be concerned that the extender is not compatible with the 70-200 RF?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully appreciated.

Canon EOS R5 Sony a7R IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,779
Re: Do I need an extender? Camera system choice

Musicall wrote:

I’m currently choosing between the Canon R5 and Sony A7IV. I think I’m favouring the Canon but as landscape is my main interest should I be concerned that the extender is not compatible with the 70-200 RF?

I think that you are the only one that can answer that question.

Why do you need a 70-200mm f/2.8 in the first place?  What are you going to use it for?  Do you need a 1.4x or 2x TC with a 70-200mm f/2.8 and what are you going to use those combinations for?   Will an adapted EF 70-200mm f/2.8 do instead, or a longer EF lens, e.g. an EF 100-400mm?

Adapted EF lenses are likely to provide multiple alternative ways of meeting whatever your needs are.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,587
Re: Do I need an extender? Camera system choice

Musicall wrote:

Any thoughts or advice gratefully appreciated.

What focal length do you use now?

My nature landscapes would rarely reach 70mm in full frame. The main reason I'd go to FF is for the ultra-wide. For landscape, long telephoto lenses wouldn't be my priority.

For nature photography, I'd be more likely to use long telephoto lenses, or a macro lens for close-ups.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads