Lens Hood on Tele ?

Started 2 months ago | Polls
yousaf Senior Member • Posts: 1,234
Lens Hood on Tele ?

I am using a Canon 100-400mm Mk1, without a hood. I bought it used and it came without the hood. I often get my photo rejected at www.jettphotos rejected due to low contrast. Does adding a lens hood will help with contrast or not?

My accepted photos can be found here. https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/31140

POLL
Yes, always on.
77.3% 51  votes
No, who uses a Lens hood a telephoto lens
0.0% 0  votes
depends on situation
22.7% 15  votes
  Show results
tirediron Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Lens Hood on Tele ?

There's no good reason (that I can think of) not to use a lens hood on every, single lens you own.  Depending on your position with respect to the sun, time of day, etc, a hood will reduce glare and flare, as well as protect the lens, and it can definitely help increase contrast.  I was walking on the beach a few years ago with a body and 70-200 on a strap over my shoulder; somehow the lens release was pushed and over time the lens worked it's way out and hit the rocky beach, right at the front, and at about a 45 degree angle (where no "protection" filter would have done anything).  The polycarbonate lens hood cracked, but the lens didn't have a mark on it.  Without the hood I am certain that at best, I would have been facing a LARGE repair bill, and worst, a $2500 lens would have become a paper-weight in a heartbeat.

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,862

yousaf wrote:

I am using a Canon 100-400mm Mk1, without a hood. I bought it used and it came without the hood. I often get my photo rejected at www.jettphotos rejected due to low contrast. Does adding a lens hood will help with contrast or not?

My accepted photos can be found here. https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/31140

A lens hood decreases flare, increases contrast and provides terrific impact protection. Depending on circumstances, especially when shooting near a bright light source (the sun, spotlights, even fluorescent lights sneaking into the edge of the frame) the lens hood can help block light from scattering inside the lens barrel and creating flare.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,862

tirediron wrote:

There's no good reason (that I can think of) not to use a lens hood on every, single lens you own. Depending on your position with respect to the sun, time of day, etc, a hood will reduce glare and flare, as well as protect the lens, and it can definitely help increase contrast. I was walking on the beach a few years ago with a body and 70-200 on a strap over my shoulder; somehow the lens release was pushed and over time the lens worked it's way out and hit the rocky beach, right at the front, and at about a 45 degree angle (where no "protection" filter would have done anything). The polycarbonate lens hood cracked, but the lens didn't have a mark on it. Without the hood I am certain that at best, I would have been facing a LARGE repair bill, and worst, a $2500 lens would have become a paper-weight in a heartbeat.

I had almost the exact  same thing happen to me. I was walking along a sidewalk and my camera with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II slipped off my shoulder and smashed into the concrete. The lens hood split, but the camera and lens were completely undamaged.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
OP yousaf Senior Member • Posts: 1,234
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,579

yousaf wrote:

Is this a good enough or should I look for original one in the used market? https://www.daraz.pk/products/heavystar-dedicated-lens-hood-for-canon-ef-100-400-f45-56l-is-lens-for-canon-et-83c-i128152600-s1287123393.html?mp=1

A lens hood is not something that will give better results if you use the original or a 3rd party. The real concern is whether the image will vignette at the minimum FL end.

I find myself using the rubber lens hoods that can be rolled out or in as needed. I bought a number of sizes and they just screw into the filter threads. If I get vignetting when rolled out, I just roll it back.

An example. They come in all tread sizes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/58mm-Pro-Series-Soft-Rubber-Lens-Hood/321648718908?hash=item4ae3c1f43c:g:kNYAAOSwa39UwSTy

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580

yousaf wrote:

My accepted photos can be found here. https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/31140

I always get better results with a lens hood. I'm always outdoors.I have a few lenses that are useless without them. I like the reversible bayonet type best. I have no excuse not to use them, even with filters.

tirediron Regular Member • Posts: 124

JimH123 wrote:

yousaf wrote:

Is this a good enough or should I look for original one in the used market? https://www.daraz.pk/products/heavystar-dedicated-lens-hood-for-canon-ef-100-400-f45-56l-is-lens-for-canon-et-83c-i128152600-s1287123393.html?mp=1

A lens hood is not something that will give better results if you use the original or a 3rd party. The real concern is whether the image will vignette at the minimum FL end.

I find myself using the rubber lens hoods that can be rolled out or in as needed. I bought a number of sizes and they just screw into the filter threads. If I get vignetting when rolled out, I just roll it back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/58mm-Pro-Series-Soft-Rubber-Lens-Hood/321648718908?hash=item4ae3c1f43c:g:kNYAAOSwa39UwSTy

Buying OE will ensure that the hood is optimized for your lens.  You'll notice that most hoods, especially on tele-zooms have a 'petal' shape; if the 3rd party has the identical shape, fine but if it's generic, you may run into vignetting, etc.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,196

It is the right shape, but who knows if it will fit right. The lens hood on your lens is a bayonet style which rotates then locks into place with a sort of a detent. I am not familiar with this brand so can't tell from the description if it will lock into place securely.  You can always get a rubber screw in lens hood for the 100-400, but it won't provide the amount of coverage that the cylindrical OEM-style hood does.

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,772
Lens hood

tirediron wrote:

JimH123 wrote:

yousaf wrote:

Buying OE will ensure that the hood is optimized for your lens. You'll notice that most hoods, especially on tele-zooms have a 'petal' shape; if the 3rd party has the identical shape, fine but if it's generic, you may run into vignetting, etc.

All of the telephoto zoom lenses that I have owned (about eight, including a Canon 100-400mm MkI) have had normal cylindrical hoods. It has been the shorter focal length zooms that go to wide angles that have had petal shaped hoods.

This is what the Canon hood for the 100-400mm MkII looks like:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-et-83d-lens-hood-for-ef100-400-f45-56lis-ii-usm-1570796/? mkwid=s9jlMfwfV_dc&pcrid=324753634971&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1570796&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-b69JCP6wIVk-5RCh0AbQbeEAQYAyABEgIA6_D_BwE

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,176

tirediron wrote:

There's no good reason (that I can think of) not to use a lens hood on every, single lens you own. Depending on your position with respect to the sun, time of day, etc, a hood will reduce glare and flare, as well as protect the lens, and it can definitely help increase contrast. I was walking on the beach a few years ago with a body and 70-200 on a strap over my shoulder; somehow the lens release was pushed and over time the lens worked it's way out and hit the rocky beach, right at the front, and at about a 45 degree angle (where no "protection" filter would have done anything). The polycarbonate lens hood cracked, but the lens didn't have a mark on it. Without the hood I am certain that at best, I would have been facing a LARGE repair bill, and worst, a $2500 lens would have become a paper-weight in a heartbeat.

I would send it in and have it checked I thought my 100-400 was good after it fell off my black rapid strap it took a couple of outings for me to notice the AF hit rate with that lens was off. Had to have the AF lens group  and IS replaced total cost 700.00 the lens did not have a scratch on it but the shock of hitting the ground still messed it up.

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,034

It is a copy of the Canon and it is custom made for your lens, so yes it will work.

There are two points  is one difference.

1) it screws on to the filter thread. If by any chance you drop the lens it may damage the thread possibly more that the canon bayonette type would (unlikely...)

2) the Canon hood has an opening at the base so that you can rotate a PL filter with the hood in use.

With the one in your link you would need to rotate the hood.

Do you plan to buy a PL ? If not , it does not matter.

I had another look at the accessory one, it looks like it does have a bayonet fitting...

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,196

FrancoD wrote:

It is a copy of the Canon and it is custom made for your lens, so yes it will work.

There are two points is one difference.

1) it screws on to the filter thread. If by any chance you drop the lens it may damage the thread possibly more that the canon bayonette type would (unlikely...)

2) the Canon hood has an opening at the base so that you can rotate a PL filter with the hood in use.

I had another look at the accessory one, it looks like it does have a bayonet fitting...

Actually, no, the first generation 100-400 lens hood did not have a hole in it to adjust a filter.

CameraCarl wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

There are two points is one difference.

Actually, no, the first generation 100-400 lens hood did not have a hole in it to adjust a filter.

I was comparing it to the latest version , the Canon ET 83 D

RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,308
Test one made of cardboard

Maybe you have a bad lens and/or other problems. While there are several benefits to lenshoods, you may have other problems. Make one out of a cardboard & scotch tape, and try with and without it.

"A test is worth 100 "expert opinions."

Re: Test one made of cardboard

RUcrAZ wrote:

Maybe you have a bad lens and/or other problems. While there are several benefits to lenshoods, you may have other problems. Make one out of a cardboard & scotch tape, and try with and without it.

To be close enough, you need the inside of that cardboard tube (or whatever) to be matt black.

OP yousaf Senior Member • Posts: 1,234
Re: Test one made of cardboard

RUcrAZ wrote:

Good idea, can be tried.

Vunite Contributing Member • Posts: 635
Re: Lens hood

Cylinder or petals usually depends on lens rotation on the front. Also, China makes all sorts of clones, including newest filter rotation access.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,290

yousaf wrote:

I never shoot this lens w/o the lens hood!  For one, yes it will increase contrast.  The element is out front with no shade whatsoever so any extraneous light hitting it will reduce contrast and potentially cause flare.

Speaking of the front element being out in front, the hood will also do a fantastic job of protecting it.  I never use a "protection" filter on this lens; the hood is nice & deep and I've never had a problem with not using a clear filter.

Mark

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,290

tirediron wrote:

JimH123 wrote:

yousaf wrote:

Buying OE will ensure that the hood is optimized for your lens. You'll notice that most hoods, especially on tele-zooms have a 'petal' shape; if the 3rd party has the identical shape, fine but if it's generic, you may run into vignetting, etc.

+1.  Not to mention a rubber hood will do nothing to protect the lens from a bump or, worse, a drop.  I speak from experience, having dropped a mounted 80-400mm lens mounted lens-first onto asphalt.  The plastic hood took the impact, absorbed it, and no damage to the lens at all.  One of the mounting ribs on the hood was chipped, but it still mounted and all was good.  I can imagine with a collapsible rubber hood the impact would have been directed directly through the lens and I would not have been so lucky.

Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads