Does anyone know what type of mount is on this Sigma Lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jminator22 New Member • Posts: 2
Does anyone know what type of mount is on this Sigma Lens?

I picked up a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro lens at an estate sale, not knowing if it would be compatible with a Canon Rebel T3i. It looks like it could be an older lens, but I am wondering if anyone knows what type of camera this would mount on, and if there is an adapter that would make this compatible with the T3i. Thank you in advance for the help.

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,955
Re: Does anyone know what type of mount is on this Sigma Lens?

Jminator22 wrote:

I picked up a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro lens at an estate sale, not knowing if it would be compatible with a Canon Rebel T3i. It looks like it could be an older lens, but I am wondering if anyone knows what type of camera this would mount on, and if there is an adapter that would make this compatible with the T3i. Thank you in advance for the help.

This looks like a Minolta AF mount, later adopted by Sony as the Alpha Mount when they bought Minolta.

I think you would need a Sony Alpha to Canon EF-S adapter like this one:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/snya-eos-pro

But I would check with a Canon user about what functions it supports

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,474

Check with Sigma. They offer a mount conversion service.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,718

bclaff wrote:

Check with Sigma. They offer a mount conversion service.

I'd say it's a Minolta A-mount (later: Sony A mount), too. This a rather old lens, Sigma's lens conversion service is only available for certain more recent lenses. See their chart: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/service/popups/interchangeable-lenses/

This one isn't on it.

In theory it's possible to use Minolta/Sony A mount lenses on a Canon body with an EF mount. You can for instance use these adapters:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Lens-Adapters/ci/3420/N/4077634486?filters=fct_camera-body-mount_1595%3Acanon-eos%2Cfct_lens-mount_1596%3Asony-a-mount-minolta-maxxum

However, you should ask yourself if it's worth the hassle and the investment. This is an older model Sigma lens, it has acceptable IQ but certainly nothing stellar. Canon cameras are quite fussy about accepting older Sigma lenses, they can cause the camera to lock up with an error. Not sure how that would work out with an adapter, but my advice would be to sell on this Sigma lens and get an original Canon 70-300 or 75-300 in stead. You'd get at least the same image quality without the hassle of trying to get an older, at best by current standards mediocre lens to work with your camera.

-- hide signature --

(We are only immortal for a limited time)

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX10 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX95 Epson R-D1 +38 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads