Gigapixel AI

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
engbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031
Gigapixel AI

The A9 sensor is 6,000 pixels wide. Here is a crop 200 pixels wide.

If you try to look at it on a large screen you see the pixels. Here is the same crop after Topaz Gigapixel AI. As well as making it about 800 pixels wide, it has brought out detail not visible in the original. ( The dimensions shown in this site do no match those in Lightroom.)  Be sure to click on them to see them full screen.)

The lens was the Sony 100-400 GM. Now of course it would be better to persuade the bird to come a bit closer, or to use a longer lens. But that is not always possible.

For some this new generation of software will reduce thee need for more expensive gear.

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
koushiro
koushiro Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Gigapixel AI

Topaz has some pretty great products. I haven’t found much use for Gigapixel AI yet, but their denoise and sharpen programs are amazing. Especially Denoise AI, that stupid program works magic, I swear. Even though high ISOs look much better than they used to (especially on newer Sony cameras), Denoise AI makes me much more comfortable cranking the ISO up if I need a faster shutter speed.

koushiro's gear list:koushiro's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Adam Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 652

Pretty impressive

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +10 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,839

Its unbearable dog speed deters me from buying it

Maybe they 'll improve upon it on the next version, not unlike Denoise AI

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
LarryRC Contributing Member • Posts: 749

I haven’t used the gigapixel AI but bought and am using the denoise ai. The controls are almost identical to those in lightroom. I have found that lightroom is better with some images while denouse ai better for others. So i default to lr putting detail at 100 and then choosing the noise reduction to as small of an amount as possible.  It used to be that this was horrible but adobe has also improved their software.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
JerseySailor Regular Member • Posts: 464

I discovered Gigapixel AI back in early July, and it knocked my socks off.

Take a look at the 152 KB source file that I fed into it, and then at the 11.8 MB file that it produced.

Before:

152 KB Source File

After:

11 MB resulting file after Gigapixel processing

Zoom in to see the difference.

That single test prompted me to convert the trial version to the paid version immediately.

Kevin

JerseySailor's gear list:JerseySailor's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads