Sony A6300 vs Fuji X-T20

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
pepo930 New Member • Posts: 7
Sony A6300 vs Fuji X-T20

Hello,
I'm looking to switch from my old Fullframe system to something more modern and light. I currently have a Nikon D600 with a 50mm f1.8D and 24mm f2.8D
I'll be doing mostly portraits and street photography.

I'm currently stuck between the Sony A6300 and Fuji X-T20.
The Fuji looks really stylish and has a good selection of compact primes (16mm, 35mm, 50mm), however they're all f2. The f1.4 variants are too expensive and slow to focus for my taste. I don't shoot JPEG so another thing bugging me is the RAWs from the XTRANS sensor and how well they'll work with Lightroom.
Meanwhile the Sony looks like a toy but it has a great selection of Sigma f1.4 lenses (16mm, 30mm, 56mm) that are sharper than the fuji ones according to lab tests. They're also cheaper but bigger and heavier however I don't think that that would be a problem.

The A6300 might have a marginally better autofocus compared to the Fuji but I'm not sure if that would be the case if it's paired with the Sigma lenses. And I know that Fuji has one of the best "color science" however I believe that I can get similar result from the Sony after tweaking the RAWs?

I don't want to spend more money than necessary so I'll be buying used.

So, which one would be your pick and am I missing anything?

Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D600 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,362
Re: Sony A6300 vs Fuji X-T20

I have no experience with the a6300, and the devil is in the details.  So I would have to try both first.  Links for lots of opinions -

Olympus OM-d E-M10 Mark III vs Fujifilm X-T20 vs Sony Alpha A6300

Trade my a6300 for an XT1 ?

Another "which mirrorless ecosystem" to buy into question

Best Mirrorless at $700 - $800

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Regular Member • Posts: 408

I would stick with full-frame, for the IQ. The Fujis are a lot of fun to use until you see the difference in quality between APS-C and FF. After testing the X-T3 for two weeks I returned it and I got the A7RIII. For me it was totally the right decision.  I used https://www.e-infin.com/ww/ because I also wanted to save money. It is about the same price as used, but you get new gear...

OP pepo930 New Member • Posts: 7

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

I would stick with full-frame, for the IQ. The Fujis are a lot of fun to use until you see the difference in quality between APS-C and FF. After testing the X-T3 for two weeks I returned it and I got the A7RIII. For me it was totally the right decision. I used https://www.e-infin.com/ww/ because I also wanted to save money. It is about the same price as used, but you get new gear...

Fullframe and Crop are two entirely different categories. But I don't plan on investing that much money at the moment for a FF system.

tacogeoff
tacogeoff Regular Member • Posts: 188

I would recommend the Fuji xt20.  I had been with Canon for a very long time before I decided to switch to a Nikon full frame d610.  Even though it was a great camera I couldn't justify the cost of lenses and I did not like the color science of Nikon at all and thus ended up taking a lot of time editing to taste.

Eventually I got tired of lugging around big cameras and after trying a few Fujis and sonys I ultimately went with Fuji as I liked the manual controls, great options of glass and ease of the menu system. It is a fun brand to shoot. I dont think I have shot this much casually in years. The kit is small enough to take anywhere and just a delight to shoot.  Also the color science is fantastic and the film simulations can make some good photos look great.

maybe head down to a store that carries both and test them out.

tacogeoff's gear list:tacogeoff's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads