5Ds- 5DsR owners. I have a few questions.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
photopeteralfa
photopeteralfa Regular Member • Posts: 182
5Ds- 5DsR owners. I have a few questions.

The first question is the most important for me. Is any difference between 5D series and 5Ds- 5DsR, in regards to mirror clearance when using Contax lenses? I ask because the mirror was redesigned.

Which L bracket plate do you recommend?

My last question is which dummy batteries and external power option do you recommend?

Thank you and have a great rest of weekend.

Thanks

Peter

photopeteralfa's gear list:photopeteralfa's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
User5469540350 Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: 5Ds- 5DsR owners. I have a few questions.

Maybe this helps: Contax Yashica Lenses. K&F KF06.129

• Compatible with Canon 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D / T2i, 600D / T3i, 650D / T4i, 700D / T5i, 750D / T6i, 760D / T6s, 800D / T7i, 100D, 200D, 1000D, 1100D / T3, 1200D / T5, 1300D / T6, Canon 77D, D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 20Da, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D 60Da, 70D, 77D, 80D, 7D, 7D Mark II, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5Ds, 5Ds R, 6D, 6D Mark II, -1D, -1Ds, -1D X, -1D C enz.

photopeteralfa
OP photopeteralfa Regular Member • Posts: 182

User5469540350 wrote:

Maybe this helps: Contax Yashica Lenses. K&F KF06.129

• Compatible with Canon 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D / T2i, 600D / T3i, 650D / T4i, 700D / T5i, 750D / T6i, 760D / T6s, 800D / T7i, 100D, 200D, 1000D, 1100D / T3, 1200D / T5, 1300D / T6, Canon 77D, D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 20Da, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D 60Da, 70D, 77D, 80D, 7D, 7D Mark II, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5Ds, 5Ds R, 6D, 6D Mark II, -1D, -1Ds, -1D X, -1D C enz.

Thank you for adapter link

I ask for difference between 5D series and 5Ds- 5DsR, in regards to mirror clearance.

Thank you

Peter

Z_zuiko New Member • Posts: 24

photopeteralfa wrote:

The first question is the most important for me. Is any difference between 5D series and 5Ds- 5DsR, in regards to mirror clearance when using Contax lenses? I ask because the mirror was redesigned.

My last question is which dummy batteries and external power option do you recommend?

Thanks

Peter

I'm Canon user  I want to know any recommendation on L bracket and power option for 5DsR  too .Please

Thank you

Carl S Contributing Member • Posts: 952

I use this L bracket with my 5Ds. https://www.ebay.com/itm/301479997119

You don't need to spend $50-100 on an L-bracket. This one fits perfectly and is built well. I have been using it for about 10 months.

photopeteralfa wrote:

Thanks

Peter

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,612

photopeteralfa wrote:

Thanks

Peter

i recently acquired a 5DsR and i use 2nd generation "L" lenses on it, only, nothing else! i can tell when i use anything less than better "L" lenses because of the high rez sensors of 5Ds/5DsR, which amplify any shortcoming of the lens or handshake, etc.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

RHWeber
RHWeber Contributing Member • Posts: 633

I used to use Kirk L brackets. The are great, but they are expensive. I purchased a Three Legged Thing  Ellie L bracket after I bought one for my EOS R. (69.99 at B & H) It works well with the 5DSR. One of the reasons I like it is the ability to tale off the vertical section and only install it when I need it. I keep the bottom, plate on all of the time because O need something to attach my Peak Design connectors and I use the horizontal placement on my tripods a lot. They have ARCA heads that work with the three legged thing plate.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
photopeteralfa

Carl S wrote:

I use this L bracket with my 5Ds. https://www.ebay.com/itm/301479997119

You don't need to spend $50-100 on an L-bracket. This one fits perfectly and is built well. I have been using it for about 10 months.

photopeteralfa wrote:

Thanks

Peter

Thank you for answer L bracket question and link. Carl๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

photopeteralfa

1Dx4me wrote:

photopeteralfa wrote:

Thanks

Peter

i recently acquired a 5DsR and i use 2nd generation "L" lenses on it, only, nothing else! i can tell when i use anything less than better "L" lenses because of the high rez sensors of 5Ds/5DsR, which amplify any shortcoming of the lens or handshake, etc.

Thank you for answer L bracket question.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

photopeteralfa

RHWeber wrote:

I used to use Kirk L brackets. The are great, but they are expensive. I purchased a Three Legged Thing Ellie L bracket after I bought one for my EOS R. (69.99 at B & H) It works well with the 5DSR. One of the reasons I like it is the ability to tale off the vertical section and only install it when I need it. I keep the bottom, plate on all of the time because O need something to attach my Peak Design connectors and I use the horizontal placement on my tripods a lot. They have ARCA heads that work with the three legged thing plate.

Thank you for answer L bracket question.

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,612

RHWeber wrote:

I used to use Kirk L brackets. The are great, but they are expensive. I purchased a Three Legged Thing Ellie L bracket after I bought one for my EOS R. (69.99 at B & H) It works well with the 5DSR. One of the reasons I like it is the ability to tale off the vertical section and only install it when I need it. I keep the bottom, plate on all of the time because O need something to attach my Peak Design connectors and I use the horizontal placement on my tripods a lot. They have ARCA heads that work with the three legged thing plate.

i purchased all of my tripods/heads/L brackets form RRS, knowing the will be passed on to my son and grandson those are thing that should be purchased once (if the budget is there) and don't have to worry about them breaking! since all my attachment accessories are the same brand, there is no compatibility and matching issues!

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

rjp85 Regular Member • Posts: 212

I just bought and installed the RRS L bracket: https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/canon-5dsr-plates

As someone else said, just buy the best one time and forget about it.

The RRS plate is contoured to the body, so it has anti-twist properties.  It cannot twist.

This is the whole point of an L-bracket.  To be able to mount the camera in any orientation with any lens and not have the camera move one single millimeter.

I would NOT use that bracket from ebay as it has rubber on the bottom and it doesn't have any anti-twist properties.  This defeats the purpose of an L-bracket.

Also, the rubber can potentially cause movement during long exposures.  You should ONLY use metal on metal, not rubbery/soft material on metal.

I'm sure movement is not likely, but still technically possible.

Just my opinion.

photopeteralfa

1Dx4me wrote:

RHWeber wrote:

i purchased all of my tripods/heads/L brackets form RRS, knowing the will be passed on to my son and grandson those are thing that should be purchased once (if the budget is there) and don't have to worry about them breaking! since all my attachment accessories are the same brand, there is no compatibility and matching issues!

Thank you for answer L bracket question

photopeteralfa

rjp85 wrote:

I just bought and installed the RRS L bracket: https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/canon-5dsr-plates

The RRS plate is contoured to the body, so it has anti-twist properties. It cannot twist.

This is the whole point of an L-bracket. To be able to mount the camera in any orientation with any lens and not have the camera move one single millimeter.

I would NOT use that bracket from ebay as it has rubber on the bottom and it doesn't have any anti-twist properties. This defeats the purpose of an L-bracket.

Also, the rubber can potentially cause movement during long exposures. You should ONLY use metal on metal, not rubbery/soft material on metal.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for answer L bracket question and link.

Carl S Contributing Member • Posts: 952

As mentioned, I have been using that e-bay L bracket for 10 months and I can assure you that there is NO twisting whatsoever with it.  Of course, the OP can decide what he wants to spend.

rjp85 wrote:

The RRS plate is contoured to the body, so it has anti-twist properties. It cannot twist.

This is the whole point of an L-bracket. To be able to mount the camera in any orientation with any lens and not have the camera move one single millimeter.

I would NOT use that bracket from ebay as it has rubber on the bottom and it doesn't have any anti-twist properties. This defeats the purpose of an L-bracket.

Also, the rubber can potentially cause movement during long exposures. You should ONLY use metal on metal, not rubbery/soft material on metal.

Just my opinion.

RHWeber
RHWeber Contributing Member • Posts: 633

Remember that you will probably not use the L bracket when shooting with any long lens with a tripod collar. You will mount the tripod on the collar and the collar should allow you to rotate the lens and the camera. My Canon 70 - 200, 200mm lens and 100 - 400 lenses all have such collars. I only need the L bracket on my camera with shorter lenses.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
photopeteralfa

Thank you everybody for a  responds๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

photopeteralfa

Just quick update  EOS 5Ds and  Contax lenses combo

After one week  tests ,zero problems on mirror  clearance.

Contax lenses  tested

25mm 2,8

28mm 2,8

35mm 1,4 and 2,8

50mm 1,4 and 1,7

60mm 2,8 S

85mm 1,4

125mm 2,8

I try handheld  portrait  on 1/60  125mm lens and street on 1/40  20mm lens  with  no problems (no IS on lenses)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads