What's Your "Style"? (5 Images, Please)

Started 3 months ago | Photos
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,933
Re: What's Your "Style"? (5 Images, Please)

nice and intricate compositions!

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

brilliant compositions and dedication to your work!

-- hide signature --

JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 935

Great thread and amazing images everyone. No “style” yet, other than hoping to capture something I like before the family gets impatient and wants to move on.

Right now I like chasing waterfalls with an ND.  All my best are from my most recent vacation though.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +3 more
MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
I suppose this is a style

Although I haven't intentionally tried to craft a specific style, I seem to be drawn to long telephoto landscapes.  I tend to find vantage points from which to view broad sweeping vistas, and then "zoom in" on details from those scenes.  I guess that's just how my brain works.  Here are some examples, all from the Palouse in Washington State.

Waves of Grain

After the Harvest

Down on the Farm

Whitman County Growers

Working the Land

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
Re: I suppose this is a style

amazing landscape, #3 is my fave!

-- hide signature --

Gardyloo Regular Member • Posts: 146

I like travel photography, particularly when I can include people in the shot. I've been doing this for a long time and many of my favorite images are scanned from slides, prints or negatives, so often the quality is not as crisp as digital work. But I still get a kick out of it.

Pearly King, London

¿Dónde está Waldo?, Chile

Dancing in the streets, France

Roadside repairs, Uzbekistan

Going fishing, South Africa

landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837

What a terrific eye you have for telephoto images. And quite a sales pitch for visiting the Palouse.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +6 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,614
Contrast (I think)

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,149

landscaper1 wrote:

What a terrific eye you have for telephoto images. And quite a sales pitch for visiting the Palouse.

In my experience, if you are standing on the top of Steptoe Butte in the Palouse around sunset, it is almost impossible to take a bad photo.

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,401
Re: Contrast (I think)

gordonpritchard wrote:

Contrast? Maybe.

I'd say... you lean toward utilizing the light creatively, and combine composition to create images that lean toward featuring a graphic intensity.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,107
Well Put (I think)

A lot of the posts were not really about style IMO, including mine although they were very interesting and well done.  A style identifies someone. Bottazini has a style.  This poster seems to have a style.  I think most photographers, including very successful ones do not have a style.

What do you think?

Rick

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 935
Re: Well Put (I think)

rick decker wrote:

A lot of the posts were not really about style IMO, including mine although they were very interesting and well done. A style identifies someone. Bottazini has a style. This poster seems to have a style. I think most photographers, including very successful ones do not have a style.

What do you think?

Rick

I agree. Mine are definitely just things I like to take pictures of.  I don’t know enough to have a style.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +3 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,614
Re: Well Put (I think)

I think one’s style has its genesis in how one filters what they see. It is not something that is applied to image making. I discovered through making images (not just photographs) that I see mainly in terms of contrast - strong light against dark and complementary colors - so that’s what I instinctively seek or create in my choice of subjects and is also what I emphasize in post.

I think most pro photographers do have a style and it’s that style that distinguishes them from other snappers and helps get them assignments. I also think that non pro photogs may gravitate to a personal style as their seeing becomes more refined and their experience in taking pics and massaging in post grows.

Some samples of my sketching which shows the same bias for contrast:

-- hide signature --

"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,107
Food For Thought (I think)

If we define a stron image as a style, that  would cover many, including myself IMO.  Here is a food for thought question...Does Ansel Adams have a s tyle and if so, houw would you define it.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
Re: Food For Thought (I think)

rick decker wrote:

If we define a stron image as a style, that would cover many, including myself IMO. Here is a food for thought question...Does Ansel Adams have a s tyle and if so, houw would you define it.

In answering that question it might help to remember that while Adams took literally thousands of images, he's really remembered for about a hundred or so that nearly everyone has seen some of. It's also worth remembering that in trying to define his style he was also noted for revisiting and revising the prints of even some of his best images many years after he first took them. So, what defines his style: his first and most widely known attempts or his later revisions he considered improvements on the originals?

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +6 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: Food For Thought (I think)

I dont even understand my style, but looking at some of my pictures many of them include water and a reflection(s)....

fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,577

I am still limited by what my family wants to do and patience. As for style, I still prefer more detail over less detail, and in general only use old optics from 50s to 80s. This past two weeks I was ale to even allowed to use a tripod at times. I also like low light in general, which gives a different calmer look.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads