What's Your "Style"? (5 Images, Please)

Started 2 months ago | Photos
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,785
What's Your "Style"? (5 Images, Please)

Most photographers shoot a variety of subjects in a variety of ways, but there's a type of image you actively pursue when you're shooting. Whether you call it "your signature" or "your style," it is a type of image you especially enjoy shooting and feel you do especially well. Post up to 5 of your favorite images that characterize "your style," and describe what you look for in making such images.

I am drawn to very simple compositions with a minimum of visual elements. The colors in each image may be bold or subtle, but each image relies on some juxtaposition of the visual elements to command the viewer's attention.

North Atlantic sunset

Fire smoke sunrise, Lake McDonald,  Glacier Nat'l Park

To the stars, U.S.A.F. Memorial, Arlington, VA

Hanging on the Edge, Sunwapta Falls, Jasper Nat'l Park

Yei Bi Chei formation, Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, AZ

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Samyang 35mm F1.4 +6 more
kodakrome
kodakrome Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: What's Your "Style"? (5 Images, Please)

I don't have a single style because it all depends on the subject matter. But for one specific thing - sunrises - I shoot most of them at 200mm. I just like the size of the sun at that focal length.

landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,785

kodakrome wrote:

I don't have a single style because it all depends on the subject matter. But for one specific thing - sunrises - I shoot most of them at 200mm. I just like the size of the sun at that focal length.

Sunsets at 200mm? Then that's your "style."

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
P.S. I give permission to anyone wishing to download any of my images solely for the purpose of reposting in the same thread with C&C.
-----
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Samyang 35mm F1.4 +6 more
phedge Regular Member • Posts: 239

Pieces of a never ending series looking at the underside of nature.

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,158

landscaper1 wrote:

I am drawn to very simple compositions with a minimum of visual elements. The colors in each image may be bold or subtle, but each image relies on some juxtaposition of the visual elements to command the viewer's attention.

These are wonderful compositions, they "draw you in,"so to speak.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II

phedge wrote:

Pieces of a never ending series looking at the underside of nature.

A nice description!

- Richard

-- hide signature --

kodakrome wrote:

An interesting idea. I've not had the sun in photographs at long focal lengths - I'm going to be on the look-out!

- Richard

-- hide signature --

I am attracted to "nature's style" - I refer to Nature's Art, where the scene could be a painting in either an abstract style, or an Impressionistic style.

Water scenes are my favorites. I have done no manipulation in editing.

Lake at Johnsondale, Sequoia National Forest, California

Fairmount Lake, Riverside, CA

Fairmount Lake

Lake at Johnsondale: America Coot walking on a frozen part of the lake

Lake at Johnsondale, Female and Male Mallards

- Richard

-- hide signature --
landscaper1

Richard, I find yours truly fascinating.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

jmw4
jmw4 Contributing Member • Posts: 824

Although I shoot a variety of subjects my personal favorite and what I've found to be the most enjoyable images to create are my nature images that are shot with an ultra wide angle lens, directly into a light source, complex scenes with many compositional elements, with focus stacking often required. These types of images are the most difficult and challenging for me, often taking 9 to 12 images to create (bracketing exposures while focus stacking) but the result can be incredible. Here are some examples:

-- hide signature --

Long Distance Hiker: AT, PCT, CTx2, TMB, TRT
Galleries: www.jaredweberphotography.com
Instagram: Jared.M.Weber

jmw4 wrote:

Although I shoot a variety of subjects my personal favorite and what I've found to be the most enjoyable images to create are my nature images that are shot with an ultra wide angle lens, directly into a light source, complex scenes with many compositional elements, with focus stacking often required. These types of images are the most difficult and challenging for me, often taking 9 to 12 images to create (bracketing exposures while focus stacking) but the result can be incredible. Here are some examples:

Very impressive. Your dedication to this style is admirable!

- Richard

-- hide signature --
landscaper1

And, Jared, nobody does it better. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
my syles

i like :

big bright blue skies

leading lines taking the eye to a vanishing point

shadows and light

and above all 4:3 ratio

big blue sky & vanishing point

big sky & foreground

sky and vanishing point

trees & shadows

trees, shadows and vanishing point

big sky and leading lines

sky, light and vanishing point

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5500 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +14 more
FRGorga Contributing Member • Posts: 817

I have a number of styles. One of my most distinctive styles is black and white photos made by photographing the ground glass of a camera obscura with a small digital camera. The camera obscura has a single meniscus lens in a brass tube which is focused by sliding it in and out of the body of the camera.

These are usually presented as small (9x9 inch) prints on mat paper often using the warm neutral inks from the Pizeography system. I am also experimenting with printing some as cyanotypes.

All five of these photographs were made since April 1019.

Enjoy!

Farm Pond

Chichester Barn #5

Harrisville Mill Buildings

Cape d'Or Light

Meetinghouse and Trees

-- hide signature --
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,616

Realy impressive results! Bracketing exposures while focus stacking - how does that work please? It sounds if you need 4 hands and 2 heads ....

jmw4
jmw4 Contributing Member • Posts: 824

maggiemole wrote:

Realy impressive results! Bracketing exposures while focus stacking - how does that work please? It sounds if you need 4 hands and 2 heads ....

Focus on bottom of image, take three exposures. Focus on middle of photo, take three exposures. Focus on top of photo, take three exposures. (this would be the simplest scene, often times you need to focus on very specific points) Then in processing, I often make an HDR out of each set, then combine them into a focus stacked image, OR, I will just use the +2 exposures, then make an HDR image wherever the sun was and then focus stack them.

-- hide signature --

Long Distance Hiker: AT, PCT, CTx2, TMB, TRT
Galleries: www.jaredweberphotography.com
Instagram: Jared.M.Weber

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,066
Sun and Ocean

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,069

I'm going to be greedy and make two posts, as I think I have two primary modes at the moment. Today's post is about my preference for the blue hour, which is unquestionably my favourite time to shoot:

Denmark

Newfoundland, Canada

Denmark

Stonehenge, UK

Scotland

So, I think that's my style in a nutshell. I love artificial light too.

Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 790

After a many-year hiatus I’ve circled back to my roots - B&W.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 2,159

Great stuff. The lighting on the leaves is nice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads