black dots - help identify the source

Started 2 months ago | Questions
AmateurJoewho New Member • Posts: 22
black dots - help identify the source

I have a D500

I started doing some macro now and when I take a picture and look on the back screen of the camera to see if it's in focus (with the magnification button), I see black dots on one part of the picture.

I see them only on the black screen and when I do the magnification only

They are like cloudy.

Is this sensor pollution? Could it be from the focusing screen?

It drives me mad

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP AmateurJoewho New Member • Posts: 22
Re: black dots - help identify the source

black screen

Back scree, not black, sorry

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 17,634

AmateurJoewho wrote:

I have a D500

I started doing some macro now and when I take a picture and look on the back screen of the camera to see if it's in focus (with the magnification button), I see black dots on one part of the picture.

I see them only on the black screen and when I do the magnification only

They are like cloudy.

Is this sensor pollution? Could it be from the focusing screen?

I don't know what it is but the LCD doesn't use the focusing screen so it certainly isn't that.

Do the dots appear in the final photo?

It drives me mad

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,682
Try this

Take a photo of the blue sky. Use the largest f/stop available.

If you can see lots of black smudges in your photo, then that is likely dust on your sensor.

This is typical and to be expected with digital cameras, especially with interchangeable lenses. Some photographers get their sensor professionally cleaned periodically, like maybe once a year or more if they live in dusty areas, and many will clean the sensors themselves with either a fine nylon brush and blower or wet swabs designed especially for cleaning sensors.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,669

Sensor muck is more noticeable at smaller apertures & is easiest to spot if you take a photo of a uniform pale area (a white wall works well) Its actually best if the subjects out of focus & you use minimum aperture (camera shake is not an issue).

Muck will show as dark spots always in the same place.

If you open the aperture & repeat the test the dark areas will be larger & more diffuse, even to the point where you can't see them. If the size doesn't vary with aperture it could be dead pixels but I don't think I've ever seen this.

It's very rare for muck on the lens to show at all with this sort of test - the muck is so much further from the sensor that it doesn't cast a sharp shadow even at f/64.

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads