My Favourite Fujifilm Lens, the 35mm f/1.4 Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Benjamin Kanarek
Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
My Favourite Fujifilm Lens, the 35mm f/1.4

Hi All,

I hope you are doing well under these very trying times. I thought I would chime in and share my very quick impressions of the #Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 lens. Simply put, it is my favourite in my whole Fujifilm native and adapted lenses collection. You can see what that arsenal is in my gear list if curious.

It is extremely sharp wide open, wonderful contrast has gorgeous bokeh, fast focus mounted on the newest series of #Fujfilm X series cameras, perfect focal length if you only have one lens for fashion, that can be used for beauty and fashion as well and very light to carry.

Used for everything from Harper's BAZAAR to ELLE to Numéro magazine and many others.

There you have it. Love to hear other user experiences.

All images with film grain added in post-prod using Alien Skin Exposure plugin.

Benjamin Kanarek's gear list:Benjamin Kanarek's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-T20 +42 more
die_kruzen Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: My Favourite Fujifilm Lens, the 35mm f/1.4

Funny you brought this up Ben. Way back when in my X-T1 days, I rented the 35 1.4 lens for a family trip to NYC (I was primarily a Canon shooter and had most of their good lenses). I took a picture of my daughter as she was walking away from me, but looking back at me over her shoulder. Not a particular good photo - just a snapshot. However, after I downloaded the pictures to my computer...I starred at that image for a long time. I thought why does this picture look amazing? From contrast, to bokeh it was simply amazing. I don't want to use the word 'magical', but there was definitely something special about it. Wasn't fun having to return it!

I think the only other time I felt similar was when I rented the Zeiss 100 macro (that was pretty amazing also).

Pete

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,391

Hi Ben,

It's clearly a great lens yet your wonderful composition and skills are shining here.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
El Vuelo del Escorpion
El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 753

Thanks for sharing Ben. The 35 f/1.4 is definitively my favourite Fuji lens as well.

Parallel question: do you use Alien Skin for the whole postprocess or just to add grain?

Best regards from Mallorca (Spain)

El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list:El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Benjamin Kanarek
OP Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531

El Vuelo del Escorpion wrote:

Thanks for sharing Ben. The 35 f/1.4 is definitively my favourite Fuji lens as well.

Parallel question: do you use Alien Skin for the whole postprocess or just to add grain?

Best regards from Mallorca (Spain)

Just for film simulations often NOT using the default grain and switching to 6 x 6 or 4 x 5 grain formats.

loseseeker Regular Member • Posts: 342

die_kruzen wrote:

Funny you brought this up Ben. Way back when in my X-T1 days, I rented the 35 1.4 lens for a family trip to NYC (I was primarily a Canon shooter and had most of their good lenses). I took a picture of my daughter as she was walking away from me, but looking back at me over her shoulder. Not a particular good photo - just a snapshot. However, after I downloaded the pictures to my computer...I starred at that image for a long time. I thought why does this picture look amazing? From contrast, to bokeh it was simply amazing. I don't want to use the word 'magical', but there was definitely something special about it. Wasn't fun having to return it!

I think the only other time I felt similar was when I rented the Zeiss 100 macro (that was pretty amazing also).

Pete

Would it be possible for you to share that photo? I"m very curious to see.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,722

Great images, everyone knows that you make a good case for this lens with your work:)

When I first tried Fuji X back in... let' see, 2012 or 2013, I got the lens as it was the standard focal for the system.

After coming back to Fuji X early 2018, I got the lens again. Of course it  is sharp, but it has more than that. It just keeps delivering good images. I use it for all sorts of general shooting. Hope I am not intruding into your thread with some of my samples.

There must be a reason why Fuji recently decided to post a promotional video for this lens, they know what they have created a few years back. Hopefully, when they decide toupdate to a MKII, they will not mess up the optics...

Study break during confinement.

Just great for quick shots.

Walk about.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
TheWhiteDog Contributing Member • Posts: 511

Okay, you convinced me! Great photos as always, you're an inspiration. I know it wont be quite as fast focusing on my X-E3 or X-H1 but I'll make it work. Should be perfect with the X-E3. Thank you again for all your posts.

TheWhiteDog's gear list:TheWhiteDog's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Krummj Regular Member • Posts: 120

It is indeed a great lens. While I sometimes prefer a slightly wider "normal" lens, when I'm shooting people indoors this seems just right.

35mm at 1.6 on the XH1

Makingtrax Contributing Member • Posts: 927

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Hi All,

I hope you are doing well under these very trying times. I thought I would chime in and share my very quick impressions of the #Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 lens. Simply put, it is my favourite in my whole Fujifilm native and adapted lenses collection. You can see what that arsenal is in my gear list if curious.

It is extremely sharp wide open, wonderful contrast has gorgeous bokeh, fast focus mounted on the newest series of #Fujfilm X series cameras, perfect focal length if you only have one lens for fashion, that can be used for beauty and fashion as well and very light to carry.

Used for everything from Harper's BAZAAR to ELLE to Numéro magazine and many others.

There you have it. Love to hear other user experiences.

All images with film grain added in post-prod using Alien Skin Exposure plugin.

Superb photos Ben. I have that lens and it really has excellent characteristics.

I notice you have two systems in your gear, Nikon and Fuji. Why is that, why not stick with one.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Makingtrax's gear list:Makingtrax's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,215

Nice shots Benjamin and they really show the character of this lens. The 35 f1.4 is the is my go to lens for my XPro. The way it handles backgrounds with its smooth bokeh and the tonal richness are "special."  Is there any wonder that Fuji just released a video talking about the wonder of this little lens.

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
Ad12 Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Great shots in this thread! I often consider this lens. I don’t shoot people though. Is there any use for a 50mm equivalent lens without interest in shooting people?

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Ashley Barrett
Ashley Barrett Regular Member • Posts: 131

I had that lens on loan a few weeks ago. Didn't get to use it on any jobs, but it definitely has a beautiful rendering. And the AF held up well, even with my ultra fast 3 year old daughter who can't stay still. I will buy it at some point, no doubt.

-- hide signature --

Ashley Barrett

Ashley Barrett's gear list:Ashley Barrett's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
radon8 Junior Member • Posts: 45

LOVE the 35, it's welded to the camera.

radon8's gear list:radon8's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 +4 more
Truman Prevatt

Ad12 wrote:

Great shots in this thread! I often consider this lens. I don’t shoot people though. Is there any use for a 50mm equivalent lens without interest in shooting people?

Wonderful lens.  About the same angle of view as the human angle of view. Works for a lot of things well.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
Ashley Barrett
Ashley Barrett Regular Member • Posts: 131

That 2nd photo is amazing.

-- hide signature --

Ashley Barrett

Ashley Barrett's gear list:Ashley Barrett's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
radon8 Junior Member • Posts: 45

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

Wonderful lens. About the same angle of view as the human angle of view. Works for a lot of things well.

Beautiful B&W!

radon8's gear list:radon8's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 +4 more
Truman Prevatt

radon8 wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

Wonderful lens. About the same angle of view as the human angle of view. Works for a lot of things well.

Beautiful B&W!

Thank you radon8

-- hide signature --

_____
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Benjamin Kanarek
OP Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,531
Truman Prevatt

radon8 wrote:

LOVE the 35, it's welded to the camera.

Nice shots - the reason to love this lens (this is from a guy that says one should never fall in love with any piece of gear but for the "magical" 35 f1.4 I'll make an exception)

-
_____
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads