RO109-1A - adapted to m42

Started 2 months ago | Questions
PhotosByHall Regular Member • Posts: 261
RO109-1A - adapted to m42

Hi all,

I was looking at this guy's 10 fave lenses and he uses a Russian projection lens that opens to f1.2 and has a lot of 'character'.

https://hispan.hu/hispan-10-kedvenc-objektivje/

There's loads of them adapted to m42 on ebay and they aren't too expensive. Are they likely to focus to infinity on a Canon M camera? I understand they won't work on FF.

Any other pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Cheers

PhotosByHall's gear list:PhotosByHall's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
moedius
moedius Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Re: RO109-1A - adapted to m42

PhotosByHall wrote:

Hi all,

I was looking at this guy's 10 fave lenses and he uses a Russian projection lens that opens to f1.2 and has a lot of 'character'.

There's loads of them adapted to m42 on ebay and they aren't too expensive. Are they likely to focus to infinity on a Canon M camera? I understand they won't work on FF.

Cheers

Since I don't use Canon bodies or that lens, I can only speak in general terms, but since there are m42 to EF-M adapters that have infinity I don't see any problems with a lens converted to M42 and adapted to M, as long as it's been converted for proper register.

Going by the guys web pages (translated in-browser from hungarian so there are definitely parts that made less sense to me) the lens may not quite cover the sensor completely, but it should still be useable.

-- hide signature --

"Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution" - Sol Lewitt

moedius's gear list:moedius's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +33 more
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422

PhotosByHall wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers

Suppose it doesn't cover all the FF sensor. Do you crop? Let's say your do, about 1.2 to 1.5 factor. Then the f1.2 looks as an f1.8 to f1.4 FF would. Why no use an f1.4 FF lens in the first place? Maybe you like the character. Make sure it's the character you like and not the speed, unless if you have to use APSC, in which case this may work out.

OP PhotosByHall Regular Member • Posts: 261

fferreres wrote:

PhotosByHall wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers

Suppose it doesn't cover all the FF sensor. Do you crop? Let's say your do, about 1.2 to 1.5 factor. Then the f1.2 looks as an f1.8 to f1.4 FF would. Why no use an f1.4 FF lens in the first place? Maybe you like the character. Make sure it's the character you like and not the speed, unless if you have to use APSC, in which case this may work out.

There's some pretty awesome pics with it on his blog. I think he said that it will cover most of an APS-C sensor on mirrorless only. I suppose really I'm not even that bothered about the focus, as I mostly shoot portraits of single people and couples.

Think I'll buy it and see how I get on - it's only £40

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more

fferreres wrote:

Why no use an f1.4 FF lens in the first place? Maybe you like the character. Make sure it's the character you like and not the speed, unless if you have to use APSC, in which case this may work out.

Because the whole point to me of adapted lenses is character, imperfections and signature looks (such as swirl, bubbles, softness etc).

There's no point to me in buying vintage glass that gives 'perfect' photos - I've got a stable full of Canon L glass for that. I do the shoot or whatever, and then break out the fun glass for 5 minutes at the end to get some unique pics.

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,590

I recently got a copy of this lens, adapted to M39, and with an added aperture.

Some pics I made wide open:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64183458

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64184833

Even on APSC, there is very substantial distortion at the edges and corners. If you want a subject with some semblance of sharpness, it's recommended tot put it near the center of the frame

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Sigma DP2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom +2 more

Sjak wrote:

Even on APSC, there is very substantial distortion at the edges and corners. If you want a subject with some semblance of sharpness, it's recommended tot put it near the center of the frame

Some good stuff dude. I think it will come into its own for portraits (of 1 person, maybe 2 )

Its in Hungarian, but check out what this guy has done with it! He's given methods to correct the distortion as well - google translate mangles it a bit, but you get the idea...

I think I'm gonna get some of that action.

Sjak wrote:

Oh and just out of interest, did you get infinity on APSC?

Don't suppose it matters too much, as i've found I don't even need infinity for astro photography, let alone portraits!

backsidewalkaround Regular Member • Posts: 173

I bought the lens from a Russian seller fully adapted (using the body of an old Minolta lens) to M42 in 2016. I haven't used it all too much since, but I remember liking the results quite a bit (I'm simply always too busy using my newest acquisitions :-)). I like the lens and its character as well as the bokeh very much and I think it is usable for fullframe if you're willing to crop, most certainly you can use it on APS-C without much of a loss, depending at what distance it's used of course. 
Sjak is right, you'd need to compose your images so that you use the sweetspot in the center, which can be a good thing. The other properties of the lens will all point to your subject there. Sharpess will fall off substantially, also there will be a strong swirl.

I created a preset in Lightroom to get rid of most of the distortion from the lens and also to crop the usable part of the image. I'll show the samples I took back then (some cropped some not). I also show what the preset did by two screenshots that demonstrate what part of the image i was finally using. Remember, these are all on a fullframe Sony A7. Most images have been edited to some degree:

backsidewalkaround's gear list:backsidewalkaround's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more

PhotosByHall wrote:

Sjak wrote:

Oh and just out of interest, did you get infinity on APSC?

Don't suppose it matters too much, as i've found I don't even need infinity for astro photography, let alone portraits!

Due to the "character" of the lens it most certainly is not usable for Astro-Photography (or landscape or architecture for that matter). So in my opinion it isn't at all important if it's usable at infinity. I is an interesting choice for portraits or macro-ish (flowers etc.) subjects.

Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Sjak

backsidewalkaround wrote:

certainly is not usable for Astro-Photography (or landscape or architecture for that matter). So in my opinion it isn't at all important if it's usable at infinity. I is an interesting choice for portraits or macro-ish (flowers etc.) subjects.

Agree. It's more suitable for "impressionistic" pictures. Despite being only 50mm, wide open, the RO109 can nicely isolate a subject even at a few m distance.

Myself, I wouldnt bother too much with correcting distortion etc. If major distortion is unwanted, there's plenty of other lenses that are much more suitable On the other hand, the distortion can help further isolating a subject (when it's positioned more or less in the center of the image)

Sigma DP2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom +2 more

Sjak wrote:

Myself, I wouldnt bother too much with correcting distortion etc. If major distortion is unwanted, there's plenty of other lenses that are much more suitable

Yes and no :-). If all the lines are crooked, correcting the distortion is an easy to do option in the RAW-Converter of your choice.

fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422

PhotosByHall wrote:

fferreres wrote:

Why no use an f1.4 FF lens in the first place? Maybe you like the character. Make sure it's the character you like and not the speed, unless if you have to use APSC, in which case this may work out.

Because the whole point to me of adapted lenses is character, imperfections and signature looks (such as swirl, bubbles, softness etc).

There's no point to me in buying vintage glass that gives 'perfect' photos - I've got a stable full of Canon L glass for that. I do the shoot or whatever, and then break out the fun glass for 5 minutes at the end to get some unique pics.

Please, all that read my comment, don’t be discouraged. I also have all kinds of good, ugly, odd, characterful optics. My point is f1.2 Apsc is like 1.8 FF, bokeh wise.

Sjak

backsidewalkaround wrote:

Sjak wrote:

Myself, I wouldnt bother too much with correcting distortion etc. If major distortion is unwanted, there's plenty of other lenses that are much more suitable

Yes and no :-). If all the lines are crooked, correcting the distortion is an easy to do option in the RAW-Converter of your choice.

Sometimes it's good to have a crooked image

fferreres wrote:

PhotosByHall wrote:

fferreres wrote:

Please, all that read my comment, don’t be discouraged. I also have all kinds of good, ugly, odd, characterful optics. My point is f1.2 Apsc is like 1.8 FF, bokeh wise.

No probs

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads