Turning on an M100

Started 2 months ago | Questions
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,332
Turning on an M100

Ok, I give up. Just got this; how do you turn it on? I press the on/off switch and rotate it. I get this message:

The kit lens is attached, and memory card in. I can go to menus and set stuff, but can't take a picture. What does that solid rectangle mean?

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS M100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,312
Re: Turning on an M100

DavidWright2010 wrote:

Ok, I give up. Just got this; how do you turn it on? I press the on/off switch and rotate it. I get this message:

The kit lens is attached, and memory card in. I can go to menus and set stuff, but can't take a picture. What does that solid rectangle mean?

David

Your lens is retracted.  The solid triangle shows the direction to slide the lock on the lens in so that you can turn the zoom ring past 15 to get it into the position to take photos.

OP DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,332

Sittatunga wrote:

DavidWright2010 wrote:

David

Your lens is retracted. The solid triangle shows the direction to slide the lock on the lens in so that you can turn the zoom ring past 15 to get it into the position to take photos.

This is the 15-45 kit lens. I don't think it retracts. There is a switch on the lens body - I thought that was for stabilization. If I push that forward with my other hand, I get the same message.

David

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,312

DavidWright2010 wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

DavidWright2010 wrote:

David

Your lens is retracted. The solid triangle shows the direction to slide the lock on the lens in so that you can turn the zoom ring past 15 to get it into the position to take photos.

This is the 15-45 kit lens. I don't think it retracts. There is a switch on the lens body - I thought that was for stabilization. If I push that forward with my other hand, I get the same message.

David

No EF-M lens has a stabilisation switch, IS is controlled from the camera menus. That switch is the lock to unlock the zoom ring, both the 15-45mm and the 11-22mm lenses retract.  You need to slide it away from the camera while you rotate the zoom ring from the retracted position.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

Sittatunga wrote:

DavidWright2010 wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

DavidWright2010 wrote:

David

David

No EF-M lens has a stabilisation switch, IS is controlled from the camera menus. That switch is the lock to unlock the zoom ring, both the 15-45mm and the 11-22mm lenses retract. You need to slide it away from the camera while you rotate the zoom ring from the retracted position.

Yes,  I see now. I didn't realize I should be rotating the **lens**. Thanks.

David

tvcat Junior Member • Posts: 29

It is important to read the manual first before using anything. It is in pg. 30 of the user manual.

tvcat wrote:

It is important to read the manual first before using anything. It is in pg. 30 of the user manual.

So it is:

This is page 18 of the printed manual. Where the images are the size of a thumbnail.

I'm not criticizing you, but this drawing and text is almost useless. "Press (1)?" Pressing will not do anything useful, you need to slide that switch forward. .... "Release the switch?" What switch?

The text should read, "Press the slider forward, rotate the knurled lens ring slightly clockwise, then release the slider."

This page of the manual should be labeled "Unlocking and extending the lens for shooting." And mention something about the fact that you can't shoot until you do this.

Also, the error message in the screen photo at the top of this thread is also useless. It should start out, "Your lens is locked down and must be released before you can take a picture."

Perhaps Canon monitors these fora and will consider improving their manuals going forward.

However this problem is common to almost all manufacturers. Everything is in the manual, and if you know how the device works, you can point to a page that (sort of) addresses a feature.

David

tvcat Junior Member • Posts: 29

I admit the wording is a bit wrong but you can easily figure this out after reading the 3 images because once you release the switch/slider, it went back to original position and you cannot turn to zoom. Obviously locked.

Yes, the error message is missing some words and there is no troubleshooting in the user manual.

I suggest using PDF user manual, you can get it on Canon website. You will find many nice feature about this little camera.

Anyway enjoy your M100, it's a good lightweight camera.

dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 189

Turning on an M100

Because I used to love her, but it's all over now.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads