Good all-rounder

Started 5 months ago | User reviews
DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,195
Good all-rounder

When I purchased my D780, the 24-120 lens that Nikon typically bundles with the camera was just a bit less on the long end than I wanted. In looking at the available lenses, the Tamron 35-150 stood out. I was moving from a D7200, so the full frame 35mm (vs. 24mm) was less of a concern. The f2.8-4.0 was a great selling point for a lens with this much zoom.  It's also compatible with the Tap-In console, which B&H included with my purchase.

The lens handles well and is very sharp. Focus is fast and accurate, and the image stabilization is very effective. I compared sharpness with the Nikon 24-120, and the Tamron 35-150 was just a bit sharper, and it's a newer lens. I like the zoom ring, with its nice tension. It's not completely smooth if you want to zoom for video, but it is nice for still shooting. Focusing is quiet but not silent, so if you use it for video, you'll want to use an external mic.

This is a fairly big lens, just slightly lighter than my G1 24-70 f2.8.  The 24-70 is a bit bigger in diameter.

I recently shot a wedding (as a friend, not the primary photographer) and it performed nicely. There was some chromatic aberration (CA) from shots inside the barn, but I was shooting against afternoon sun facing large glass doors.  This was easily corrected in Lightroom. Under more normal conditions, CA is well controlled. I'm sure the Nikon is a fine lens, but the Tamron edged it out for my preferences.

DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +7 more
Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 Di VC OSD
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX) • A043
Announced: Feb 20, 2019
DJMusic's score
Average community score
Nikon D780 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 868
Re: Good all-rounder

Thanks for your review. I got a 24-120mm f4 with my D750 but I also wanted a bit more reach. I bought the Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-4. I find your assessment of the 35-150mm  to reflect my own experience.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
Jose Joseph Regular Member • Posts: 102

I've been using this lens with my D750 for almost a year. Except for a slower AF compared to my other native Nikon lenses, I really like this Tamron.

-- hide signature --
FrankoManno Regular Member • Posts: 130

Jose Joseph wrote:

I've been using this lens with my D750 for almost a year. Except for a slower AF compared to my other native Nikon lenses, I really like this Tamron.

Great travel/walk about lens, use with my D750

FrankoManno's gear list:FrankoManno's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +6 more
Cerumen
Cerumen Senior Member • Posts: 1,979

I've been having a great time with this lens since buying several months ago. No hesitation to shooting wide-open, and a really terrific range.

Really happy with the purchase, and also bought the Tamron 17-35 for a very reasonable two-lens travel kit.

-- hide signature --
OP DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

Nice shots!  Thanks for sharing.

Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +7 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Like most on this thread, Im the same - I love the Tamaron 35-150mm

Its also a great travel lens, as it covers most focal range many would woant and need - Add to it a wider angle lens and it a pretty light travel set up

I was tempted a few months to sell it, as travel for us Australians is very LIMITED currently, but I couldnt bring myself to.

bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 868

Cerumen wrote:

Really happy with the purchase, and also bought the Tamron 17-35 for a very reasonable two-lens travel kit.

I did the same thing. Together, they make a great combination.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
OP DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

Very nice shots!

Just realized I'd already responded.  But they're still nice shots. 

Cerumen
Cerumen Senior Member • Posts: 1,979

DJMusic wrote:

Very nice shots!

Just realized I'd already responded. But they're still nice shots.

Thanks. I use this lens a lot. It's so reliably sharp and flexible. From last weekend, wife and grandson, totally unplanned :

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads