Z6 - headphones only work during playback

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
IllumeNL New Member • Posts: 2
Z6 - headphones only work during playback

I'm not getting any sound through my headphones using either the Auto or Manual camera mic settings on my Z6. The only time I get any sound is during playback. I have tried two sets of headphones -- one of them Apple earbuds. Both headphones are working fine in other devices. So I'm unable to monitor sound during recording video, which is a serious problem. I'm now wondering if this part of a larger issue, as follows:

I purchased a Deity V-Mic D3 Pro mini shotgun mic that attaches to the Z6 hot shoe. Thinking the preamp is probably superior in the Deity than the Z6's, I began experimenting by having the camera mic settings set to 1 or 2 (Manual), and then adjusting the gain knob on the Deity mic. However, even with the gain knob on 10 (highest setting), there wasn't nearly enough signal. This is with a subject approximately four feet in front of the camera/mic. In fact, I have to crank the in-camera mic setting to around 14 and the gain knob on the Deity to 10 to get usable audio. Perhaps this is "normal," but it seems excessive to me. Efforts to contact Deity have gone without response, so I thought I'd ask here as I this is my first experience with the Z6.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 7,254
Re: Z6 - headphones only work during playback

IllumeNL wrote:

I'm not getting any sound through my headphones using either the Auto or Manual camera mic settings on my Z6. The only time I get any sound is during playback. I have tried two sets of headphones -- one of them Apple earbuds. Both headphones are working fine in other devices. So I'm unable to monitor sound during recording video, which is a serious problem. I'm now wondering if this part of a larger issue, as follows:

I purchased a Deity V-Mic D3 Pro mini shotgun mic that attaches to the Z6 hot shoe. Thinking the preamp is probably superior in the Deity than the Z6's, I began experimenting by having the camera mic settings set to 1 or 2 (Manual), and then adjusting the gain knob on the Deity mic. However, even with the gain knob on 10 (highest setting), there wasn't nearly enough signal. This is with a subject approximately four feet in front of the camera/mic. In fact, I have to crank the in-camera mic setting to around 14 and the gain knob on the Deity to 10 to get usable audio. Perhaps this is "normal," but it seems excessive to me. Efforts to contact Deity have gone without response, so I thought I'd ask here as I this is my first experience with the Z6.

Do you have the headphone volume up in the movie shooting menu?

OP IllumeNL New Member • Posts: 2

beatboxa wrote:

IllumeNL wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, no sound when it's all the way up to 30 (max).

shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,690

Just to be 100% sure, I put an external microphone on my Z6 and plugged in a pair of headphones. During video recording, I can definitely monitor the sound using the headphones.

Since your headphones work on the Z6 during video playback, I assume the headphones are plugged in correctly, and the headphone jack is working. Maybe double check the connections one more time. The headphone jack is right above the microphone jack on the left side of the Z6.

When my D750 was new back in 2014, it took me several months to finally plugged in a Nikon GP-1 GPS unit. It turns out that the GPS jack on that D750 was not working. I verified it with another GP-1A and then sent the D750 to Nikon for warranty repair. (Both GPS units worked with other bodies.)

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 7,254

IllumeNL wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

IllumeNL wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, no sound when it's all the way up to 30 (max).

My initial instinct was that this could be due to using an Apple-specific TRRS headphone jack (yes, they did this) rather than a standard TRRS or TRS; but I've validated that all sets seem to work.

Are you positive you are getting no sound via headphones (because the sound is definitely fainter, depending on your settings) and mic signal strength?

The reality is that you can't just dial in the lowest mic setting and expect perfect audio.  The mic needs to output a strong signal as well.  You should set the camera to the highest mic value that you expect won't clip.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads