Venice - early in the morning - B&W

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901
Venice - early in the morning - B&W
2

C&C appreciated.

Stay well,

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,548
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W
1

nice set, but i think the fog looks too grainy in shot #2.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 7,298
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

I particularly like 2, 3  and 4 in the fog.

However, my personal taste is for much less local contrast enhancement/sharpening.

OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

1Dx4me wrote:

nice set, but i think the fog looks too grainy in shot #2.

Thanks for viewing and your feedback.

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

Tom Axford wrote:

I particularly like 2, 3 and 4 in the fog.

However, my personal taste is for much less local contrast enhancement/sharpening.

Thanks Tom.  Here they are SOC.

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 7,298
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

snappyden wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

I particularly like 2, 3 and 4 in the fog.

However, my personal taste is for much less local contrast enhancement/sharpening.

Thanks Tom. Here they are SOC.

Den

That's a big improvement, for the last two especially.  The last one is particularly nice and very realistic, with an excellent sense of depth due to the fog.

The first one still shows disconcerting halos around the lamp posts and the two people in the foreground. It also shows much more noise than the other images.  It appears to have been processed much more than the other two.  Were the camera settings changed?

By the way, I have found that foggy scenes often look best with minimal processing. They are naturally very low contrast and do not need the heavier processing that is commonly applied to high contrast scenes to lift the shadows, etc.  Also, setting the black point for foggy scenes sometimes increases the contrast in a way that can make the scene appear unnatural.

embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 1,943
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

Nice set but it looks that it's too early at the start of May 

You have used the rather bad weather in a good way.

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

 embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

embie wrote:

Nice set but it looks that it's too early at the start of May

You have used the rather bad weather in a good way.

eMBie

No, the weather is almost always quite wonderful at the start of May.  We've been there then about 10 times and a foggy morning or a day of rain out of a couple of weeks has been the worst case. Definitely about the best time of the year when you factor in weather, crowds, beauty (tulips and daffodils and flowering trees are everywhere!).

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901
Re: Venice - early in the morning - B&W

Tom Axford wrote:

snappyden wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

I particularly like 2, 3 and 4 in the fog.

However, my personal taste is for much less local contrast enhancement/sharpening.

Thanks Tom. Here they are SOC.

Den

That's a big improvement, for the last two especially. The last one is particularly nice and very realistic, with an excellent sense of depth due to the fog.

The first one still shows disconcerting halos around the lamp posts and the two people in the foreground. It also shows much more noise than the other images. It appears to have been processed much more than the other two. Were the camera settings changed?

By the way, I have found that foggy scenes often look best with minimal processing. They are naturally very low contrast and do not need the heavier processing that is commonly applied to high contrast scenes to lift the shadows, etc. Also, setting the black point for foggy scenes sometimes increases the contrast in a way that can make the scene appear unnatural.

Tom,

All are definitely straight out of camera.  The one in question was shot 30 minutes later and the fog/light was obviously quite different.  But camera settings were quite similar.

Best,

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads