Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Geronimo73
Geronimo73 Regular Member • Posts: 188
Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?
1

As a pro gear, I don't understand why we have to use a third party software. Shutter count is like the odometer if my car. Except all cars have it... Why Canon is "hiding" this information ?

 Geronimo73's gear list:Geronimo73's gear list
Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon Pixma Pro-100
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MaxCh Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Great point. I've been wondering the same thing

 MaxCh's gear list:MaxCh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,140
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Geronimo73 wrote:

As a pro gear, I don't understand why we have to use a third party software. Shutter count is like the odometer if my car. Except all cars have it... Why Canon is "hiding" this information ?

Unless you have done something extraordinary, the approximate shutter count is in the file name.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,140
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

But shutter count tells you little about the longevity to come of the camera.

If the previous owner used the shutter like a machine gun, the shutter will not have as long a life as if the previous owner shot one image every 30 seconds when both shutter counts are identical!

And for the same reasons, a car driving on a road race track will log k-miles on the odometer but will suffer 10×k wear on the engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Geronimo73
OP Geronimo73 Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

I know. The file name last 4 digits comes anew each 10000 so you have to check each time it is "resetted" 0001... But the real shutter count could be on the metadata of the file...

 Geronimo73's gear list:Geronimo73's gear list
Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon Pixma Pro-100
Geronimo73
OP Geronimo73 Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?
2

Agreed. But the shutter count still gives and idea of the camera usage and is a great incentive when buying an used camera...

 Geronimo73's gear list:Geronimo73's gear list
Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon Pixma Pro-100
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,773
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?
1

MitchAlsup wrote:

Geronimo73 wrote:

As a pro gear, I don't understand why we have to use a third party software. Shutter count is like the odometer if my car. Except all cars have it... Why Canon is "hiding" this information ?

Unless you have done something extraordinary, the approximate shutter count is in the file name.

Is it ?

The file name denotes where it is within the 9,999 shots before it resets back to 0001 again. I wasn't aware of a method of determining if the body had taken 59,999 or 79,999 shots (or 339,000 vs 379,999) - unless the photographer keeps VERY meticulous records.

Happy to learn something though ?

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,140
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Andy01 wrote:

MitchAlsup wrote:

Geronimo73 wrote:

As a pro gear, I don't understand why we have to use a third party software. Shutter count is like the odometer if my car. Except all cars have it... Why Canon is "hiding" this information ?

Unless you have done something extraordinary, the approximate shutter count is in the file name.

Is it ?

The file name denotes where it is within the 9,999 shots before it resets back to 0001 again. I wasn't aware of a method of determining if the body had taken 59,999 or 79,999 shots (or 339,000 vs 379,999) - unless the photographer keeps VERY meticulous records.

I keep all my RAWs (and I only shoot RAW) in folders with names like Canon238. This folder will contain images from shutter counts 23,800-to-23,899 to eliminate the problem. Afterwards i process the batches and put the final *.jpgs in folders like Thanksgiving2018,...

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Guillermo Shashte Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Not hard

If you have the Adjustment Software for your camera.

Many moons ago Canon sold me the software for the D60 but probably they don't do that anymore.

-- hide signature --

GS

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,773
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?
2

MitchAlsup wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

MitchAlsup wrote:

Geronimo73 wrote:

As a pro gear, I don't understand why we have to use a third party software. Shutter count is like the odometer if my car. Except all cars have it... Why Canon is "hiding" this information ?

Unless you have done something extraordinary, the approximate shutter count is in the file name.

Is it ?

The file name denotes where it is within the 9,999 shots before it resets back to 0001 again. I wasn't aware of a method of determining if the body had taken 59,999 or 79,999 shots (or 339,000 vs 379,999) - unless the photographer keeps VERY meticulous records.

I keep all my RAWs (and I only shoot RAW) in folders with names like Canon238. This folder will contain images from shutter counts 23,800-to-23,899 to eliminate the problem. Afterwards i process the batches and put the final *.jpgs in folders like Thanksgiving2018,...

Mitch

I think what you do is probably extraordinary - I am not sure that many owners would go to the lengths of retaining every RAW file ever shot in specially numbered folders - I certainly don't.

I suspect the "average" person is nowhere near as diligent as you and deletes the RAW files that they don't want (part of the joy of digital at times - blast away and ditch 95% of them), or perhaps deletes ALL RAW files after they have been converted to the finished images. In fact I would suggest that the average camera user doesn't even shoot RAW in the first place. If this is the norm (average person) then it is common behaviour, not extraordinary.

There are people here who report having shutter counts of 500,000+, which would be around 14Tb just for the RAW files alone, never mind the "finished" photos. And then some, like me, keep a secure backup of everything, which would double it. I know data is relatively cheap now, but buying drives that size is still a costly business. For a person who shoots a couple of thousand shots a year, no problem though.

I am not suggesting that what you do is bad at all, but certainly not the norm or ordinary, so it would be VERY common for most to not have the original images to refer back to to get a shutter count.

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
kopper Contributing Member • Posts: 873
Our method to track camera shots taken

We've using this method for many, many years now with every new camera since my EOS 20D was brand new.

I import into Lightroom and have created custom Filename templates using their Filename Template Editor. Put a 0 at the beginning for the first 9999, then edit it / make a new template every time you reach the 10,000th additional photo. So the first digit becomes a 1, then a 2, etc. Our naming convention is made as such and we currently use a 7D converted to infrared, a 5D3, and our second 5DSR. To start with a new camera:

(^ indicates a menu selection from the LR options and _ indicates a space)

0 Filename number suffix^_Date (MM)^_Date (YYYY)^_Kopperhead (our trademark)

So an imported file reads as such: 09436 08 2020 Kopperhead

An added benefit is that the file name also serves as a copyright notice. 8-)

One new issue that came up was when a fall in a stream destroyed our 5DSR, so the question came up as to whether to continue the 5DSRnumbering or start over with the new camera. We choose to start over, as that's how/why we keep a running number of shots from each camera.

Currently;

5DSR 09436 08 2020 Kopperhead

5D3 73631 07 2020 Kopperhead

7Dir is at 07038ir 04 2020 Kopperhead (yes, we added "ir" to the file name)

This has worked for us for many years, and hope it might help someone else.

kopper

-- hide signature --

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
pix.kopperhead.com
http://www.kopperhead.com

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,710
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

You can find out the 1DX's shutter count by going into the menu. So Canon got rid of this feature in the 5D Mark IV?

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Kameratrollet Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Scott Larson wrote:

You can find out the 1DX's shutter count by going into the menu. So Canon got rid of this feature in the 5D Mark IV?

Canon has had a visible shutter count in many of its pro cameras. D2000, D6000, 1D, 1Ds, 1D II, 1Ds II, 1D II n, 1D X, 1D X II, 1D X III.

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,710
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Kameratrollet wrote:

Scott Larson wrote:

You can find out the 1DX's shutter count by going into the menu. So Canon got rid of this feature in the 5D Mark IV?

Canon has had a visible shutter count in many of its pro cameras. D2000, D6000, 1D, 1Ds, 1D II, 1Ds II, 1D II n, 1D X, 1D X II, 1D X III.

But not the 5D series?

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Kameratrollet Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Scott Larson wrote:

Kameratrollet wrote:

Scott Larson wrote:

You can find out the 1DX's shutter count by going into the menu. So Canon got rid of this feature in the 5D Mark IV?

Canon has had a visible shutter count in many of its pro cameras. D2000, D6000, 1D, 1Ds, 1D II, 1Ds II, 1D II n, 1D X, 1D X II, 1D X III.

But not the 5D series?

5D series need software.

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Geronimo73 wrote:

As a pro gear, I don't understand why we have to use a third party software. Shutter count is like the odometer if my car. Except all cars have it... Why Canon is "hiding" this information ?

One reasonable answer is they don't want you to know for whatever reason

 GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
itsDing
itsDing Senior Member • Posts: 2,451
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Download "Canon free shutter count"

Boatographer Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

itsDing wrote:

Download "Canon free shutter count"

Can you elaborate or provide a link? The first search result is "http://www.freeshuttercount.com/" but that is not free. You install it, and their special drivers, but then you are prompted to pay to see the full shutter count. Classic bait and switch.

 Boatographer's gear list:Boatographer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +9 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,063
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

I must say, this isn't something I lie awake at nights thinking about. In fact, over sixteen years and five DSLRs, I don't think I've ever thought about it.

Might be different if I was buying second hand.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Boatographer Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: Why is it hard to get 5D4 shutter count ?

Graham Meale wrote:

I must say, this isn't something I lie awake at nights thinking about. In fact, over sixteen years and five DSLRs, I don't think I've ever thought about it.

Might be different if I was buying second hand.

Or selling, as I am. And I only buy used, so it's always one of the factors I look at.

 Boatographer's gear list:Boatographer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads