New owner Ricoh GR ii any tips or best settings set up

Started 2 months ago | Questions
leew8948 Contributing Member • Posts: 651
New owner Ricoh GR ii any tips or best settings set up

hi

just got myself the GR2 and never had a Ricoh before, are there any tips or tricks or must change settings to get me going ?

thanks in advance

lw

leew8948's gear list:leew8948's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S32 Ricoh GR II Panasonic LX100 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fotopan New Member • Posts: 17
Re: New owner Ricoh GR ii any tips or best settings set up

Read The Manual πŸ˜€πŸ‘

Seriously, GR II is highly capable camera with lots of controls - like a DSLR - and you have to try different settings to see what works for you.

What I find important:

• Be sure to use Auto-Hi ISO in TAv mode, not Auto - Auto in TAv is not limited to 800 ISO and goes all the way up to 25600.
  • Learn how to use Snap focus and change the Snap focus distance quickly - Snap focus is simply one of the most important features of this camera IMO.
  • When you copy My Settings Box settings to MY 1-3 presets and want to edit the settings afterwards, if you edit a copy in My Settings Box the changes you made are automatically propagated to the selected MY slot (My Setings Box preset and MY slot to which the preset was copied are linked). Once you edit any of the settings outside of the My Settings Box, the settings of the MY slot become disconnected from the My Settings Box they were copied from and any subsequent changes in the My Settings Box preset are not applied to the MY slot (unless you manually copy the My Settings Box to the MY slot again of course).
  • Remember that once you activate FA/Move Target feature it stays active and has to be canceled by entering the FA/Move Target screen and pressing Cancel (or switching the camera off). Otherwise you can be surprised certain focus related features behave differently and you don't know why.
  • If you use GW-3 wide angle conversion lens remember to set Setup/Conversion Lens accordingly - it does change the way Snap focus is set with the lens.
OP leew8948 Contributing Member • Posts: 651

Many thanks πŸ‘πŸ‘

Nikon Coolpix S32 Ricoh GR II Panasonic LX100 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM
edpeacock New Member • Posts: 19

I owned my GR2 for quite some time before I found AF Mode - ‘High Speed’ in the Setup menu. Might be worth checking. Not sure why anyone would want ‘Normal’?
In BW mode don’t shy away from high ISO settings, you will get a convincing film look to your pictures. Enjoy your new GR.

Thanks for that, just going through the settings now.

what_i_saw Regular Member • Posts: 296

1. Remember to update the firmware.

2. Get the Ricoh GC-5 case or equivalent. Never carry it in pocket contrary to what people say.

3. Avoid using ADJ ISO button if you can. It is a well documented source of dust ingress.

4. The advice about TAv mode in the post above is solid. TAv mode is the most useful mode for me rather than the Av mode. More keepers that way.

5. Snap focus is a nice thing to master. Though I never could manage to get a sharp enough picture via that.

6. Go out more. GR loves sunny days. Lol.

How much you paid for GR II? Hope you scored a deal.

-- hide signature --

Extraordinarily Ordinary

what_i_saw's gear list:what_i_saw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR II Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +2 more

Hi

thanks for your reply. Especially that Tav mode and the iso/adj lever for dust.... invaluable!

im comparing it  at the moment with the Pannie LX100 Ii

i have some fantastic images from the GR ii more than I am happy with but have had some misfocused ones also , not sure if that was me or not yet ....the shutter speed seemed fast enough but it’s early days with me . I was in AV mode at 2.8 ?

i picked it up next to new for just under £400 Gbp.

thanks again

lw

leew8948 wrote:

im comparing it at the moment with the Pannie LX100 Ii

LX3 was the first and last Panasonic I used. It is a champion camera but with the crippling issue of blue cast in the jpegs.

As an intresting exercise use "Positive Film Effect" of the Ricoh GR.

some misfocused ones also , not sure if that was me or not yet ....the shutter speed seemed fast enough but it’s early days with me . I was in AV mode at 2.8 ?

I had the same issue. I switched over to TAv with Aperture 2.8 and Shutter speed of 1/200. Has worked wonders.

In darker environment I switch over to B/W.

One of the biggest strength of LX3 was dynamic black and white. In GR you can get something close with "High contrast B&W". The trick is to dial down the contrast to -5.

High contrast B&W-> Fn2->Contrast -2.

i picked it up next to new for just under £400 Gbp.

Good deal. I think Ricoh GR II is going to be a classic in near future.

-- hide signature --

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR II Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +2 more

Thanks for your replies πŸ‘

one of the settings I am a little confused with is the Noise reduction settings, I have looked at some user reviews and found some conflicting opinions.....

what do people set this to ?  I don’t mind grain especially in B+W , I would rather have a sharper image with a bit of noise !!

should it be in β€œauto” or β€œoff”  ?

thanks

leew8948 wrote:

one of the settings I am a little confused with is the Noise reduction settings,

should it be in “auto” or “off” ?

thanks

I will leave that to experts here to answer. I never bothered with mine and it was still plenty sharp for me.

Frankly speaking I am not aware of even 5% of what GR can do.

-- hide signature --

Extraordinarily Ordinary

breth Regular Member • Posts: 396

I'm a pedant/hypochondriac about dust issues, and have also taken apart my previous GR to explore this issue. In my new GR II, I have taped off both the ADJ wheel and top "up-down" dial, as well as the speaker holes. I have worked around the cancellation of these dials by the use of My Modes, and reassigning functions to the Fn1, Fn2, Effect and Flash buttons as I need.

This works for me personally. Had these dials been implemented better technologically (engineered to not allow ingress of dust), I would have been very satisfied to use them as they are, their location and functionality are great.

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

leew8948 wrote:

Thanks for your replies πŸ‘

one of the settings I am a little confused with is the Noise reduction settings, I have looked at some user reviews and found some conflicting opinions.....

what do people set this to ? I don’t mind grain especially in B+W , I would rather have a sharper image with a bit of noise !!

should it be in “auto” or “off” ?

thanks

I’m a total maniac about NR. I always turn it off. But it’s all about you and what you like. You can aways do some tests to see whether you like the NR processed image results. Also NR in my opinion when needed can be better controlled by eye in whatever software you use. And applying NR separately to luma and chroma (different amounts) gives more nuanced results. Even when converting to monochrome this works.

So from what you say - NR off!

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +7 more
Tungsten Nordstein

breth wrote:

I'm a pedant/hypochondriac about dust issues, and have also taken apart my previous GR to explore this issue. In my new GR II, I have taped off both the ADJ wheel and top "up-down" dial, as well as the speaker holes. I have worked around the cancellation of these dials by the use of My Modes, and reassigning functions to the Fn1, Fn2, Effect and Flash buttons as I need.

This works for me personally. Had these dials been implemented better technologically (engineered to not allow ingress of dust), I would have been very satisfied to use them as they are, their location and functionality are great.

For me, no ADJ wheel, no GR. i cannot imagine taping it off. I think it would feel like the camera had been hamstrung..

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +7 more
breth Regular Member • Posts: 396

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

For me, no ADJ wheel, no GR. i cannot imagine taping it off. I think it would feel like the camera had been hamstrung..

I can understand that completely. I am still trying to get used to my new setup.

I don't take photos in hugely varied situations, and I also never use effects, hardly ever the flash, and don't play many games with moving subjects. Mostly, I experiment with focus, depth of field, ISO and composition. And I usually take my time before taking a shot.

Tungsten Nordstein

breth wrote:

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

I can understand that completely. I am still trying to get used to my new setup.

I don't take photos in hugely varied situations, and I also never use effects, hardly ever the flash, and don't play many games with moving subjects. Mostly, I experiment with focus, depth of field, ISO and composition. And I usually take my time before taking a shot.

If it works for you than that is great, but the ADJ wheel is my main interface with the GR/GRD. I use it to access the quick menu items, like ISO, Focus, WB and Ratio or Picture settings. Plus I use it for setting shutter speed. I cannot give that up

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 60

what_i_saw wrote:

3. Avoid using ADJ ISO button if you can. It is a well documented source of dust ingress.

Does this issue also exist with the GR3 ? Thanks.

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more
Tungsten Nordstein

Vitriol wrote:

what_i_saw wrote:

Does this issue also exist with the GR3 ? Thanks.

I've always used it. No ADJ button, no GR/D for me. I had dust on my very first GRD and I've never had dust on any GRD, GX100, GRD4, or GR since. I don't think there's any evidence that dust in the ADJ compartment finds it's way onto the sensor.

Just keep your GR in a case when not in use. Wipe dust off the lens barrel if you see it.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads