HiFi-High Fidelity in Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
AutoFokus Junior Member • Posts: 26
HiFi-High Fidelity in Photography

High fidelity (often shortened to hi-fi or HiFi) is a term used by listeners, audiophiles and home audio enthusiasts to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound.

(by Wikipedia)

HiFi in Photography: so this would mean in photography that the picture closely resembles reality.

But nowadays almost all pictures are;

- corrected / distorted / altered... and this is far away from reality.

and so, today it is better to master PhotoShop than know how to make good pictures with good knowledge of Photo tehnology.

What do you think ?

phedge Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: HiFi-High Fidelity in Photography

As soon as you get a consensus from the high fidelity cognoscenti regarding best "reproduction of sound" then we can start in on photography.

lowerCamelCase Regular Member • Posts: 347

AutoFokus wrote:

High fidelity (often shortened to hi-fi or HiFi) is a term used by listeners, audiophiles and home audio enthusiasts to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound.

(by Wikipedia)

HiFi in Photography: so this would mean in photography that the picture closely resembles reality.

- corrected / distorted / altered... and this is far away from reality.

and so, today it is better to master PhotoShop than know how to make good pictures with good knowledge of Photo tehnology.

What do you think ?

In HiFi the art is done by those who create the music and the goal is to reproduce this glorious moment.

In photography the art is within the picture, the story it tells, the feeling it creates, not necessarily within the scenery itself that was photographed.

My conclusion is, both topics only share the snakeoil and fact that people buy gear way over their heads, not the nature of the art itself.

lowerCamelCase's gear list:lowerCamelCase's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +6 more
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,314

AutoFokus wrote:

(by Wikipedia)

Not sure about that.  A 2D media will never resemble 3D reality.  Whereas hifi audio can indeed reproduce a stereophonic audio experience.

The definition of a good photo is not necessarily how closely it resembles "reality".  What about award-winning and notable black and white photos? Photography is a form of communication, just like any other studio art form.

What do you think ?

kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,000

AutoFokus wrote:

But nowadays since the start of photography almost all pictures are;

This is the very nature of photography and always has been.  It is only a question of specific methods and degrees.

Capture and processing go hand in hand - as they always have.  Rarely do you take a particularly good photo without visualizing what the final image is going to look like.

Over the ages each artist has taken their own approach to this.

Some have stuck to a particular film/JPEG engine and just worked within that framework (Galen Rowell and Velvia a good example).

Some have instead integrated capture to printing from the start whether that is exposing a negative for a particular printing technique they decide on in advance in the field (Ansel Adams).  Some of this can be quite complicated be it advanced Photoshop techniques or complicated dodges/burns in the darkroom including very complicated dodging with polycontrast papers that are equivalent to using local contrast moves in Photoshop.

Others have left the last step of processing/printing to others (many photojournalists from film through digital eras).

What do you think ?

Nothing's really changed that much.  We just have more tools that are easier to use these days without having our clothes smell like chemicals when we are done.  Just like in the past different people choose to adapt their capture in the field to a simpler workflow (e.g. SOOC JPEG or a slide film) or a more complicated one (e.g. RAW and LR/PS or a negative film followed by shot by shot optimized push/pull in development, developer choice, developing agitation choice, paper choice, dodges/burns for exposure, polycontrast dodges for local contrast control, and so forth).

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II +29 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 17,648

AutoFokus wrote:

(by Wikipedia)

This is a false analogy. Hi-fi sound works by accurately recording (and then transmitting) individual frequencies of sound. The closest reasonable photo analogy is to record colours and details accurately.

- corrected

"Corrected" means adjusted to be nearer reality, not far away.

/ distorted / altered... and this is far away from reality.

What do you mean by distorted? Any lens distortions are easily corrected - see above.

What do you mean by altered? Altered from what to what? If they are accurate, why alter them? If they are not accurate, the obvious reason to alter them is to correct them - see above again.

and so, today it is better to master Photoshop than know how to make good pictures with good knowledge of Photo technology.

Photoshop is part of photo technology, not separate from it. Accurate photos need a comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of the technology.

What do you think ?

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,733

AutoFokus wrote:

(by Wikipedia)

What do you think ?

The 'reality' recorded by a camera when photons hit the sensor is not the 'reality' recorded by our brain when photons hit our eyes. We don't process the information in the same way.

So which 'reality' are you talking about?

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,480
Nope

AutoFokus wrote:

(by Wikipedia)

Reproduction of the sound as recorded. That recording involves many layers of mixes, filters, and even performances. Even a recording of a live performance depends on mixing many channels into two (or a few more if you are fancy).

No. It would involve printing, screen resolution, etc. Reproduction of the image as recorded.

Top 10 Artists Who Heavily Use Auto Tune

What do you think ?

Probably best to master both, and know where and when to focus your attention.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
hampshirejohn Regular Member • Posts: 348
An analogy

Never mind the music, listen to the lack of distortion.

Never mind the image, look at the image quality.

hampshirejohn's gear list:hampshirejohn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,918
2 different things I think

The best HiFi, is a tool to reproduce the audio. It is not a piece of art itself but the audio played by it. So people looking for the best tool which can playback the highest quality, closest to the original, of the audio to enjoy it.

Camera again is a tool but is used to record the light in front of it. If one wish the output be exactly the same as the scene, it is the best copier.

However some shooter might wish through angle of shooting, focal length used, parameters setting etc or certain techniques, not necessary post processing: for instance backlit or high key shooting etc to present the shooter's view, feeling etc. Could be a piece of art, or just certaint creation, it is not necessary to become a copier.

Indeed, a good playback media, a monitor, a TV etc sould act similarly the position as Hi-Fi...

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,058

If anyone, friend, could ever define much less agree on -a definition of what you call reality, or argue convincingly why it is a desirable standard, to shoot for, good luck to her.

Sound and sight are just senses mediated by our mind and internal and external optical systems. No better.  Both senses are easily confused or fiddled with all the time.  Concert hall sound? Only really in a concert hall and that is not always delightful IMO.

Me, I prefer stereoscopic pictures . 3-D twp lenses, and even they are just a bare imitation of something 'out there'. It is nice to have some goal, but reality, not for me. And It bothers me not. How about you? (Are you vexed by Photoshop. Write to Adobe Systems!)

ciaio

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
bill winslow hansen Regular Member • Posts: 114

Actually the term hifi means nothing at all.

As evidenced by literally millions of home audio equipment items emblazoned with it,

Even the lower end of the scale.

I have stereos with the words hifi on them and am radios with the words hi fidelity.

Personal taste and preferences are subjective.

Back in the 70s a magazine did a test where they took cheap as beans recievers and put them up against the most expensive receivers .

The cheap hifi stuff won.

hifi really is a non definable term.

they tried it didn’t work .

The application of finish on photographs is almost as old as photography itself.

One negative using film can yield many different results depending on who what and how the photofinishing is done.

It’s subjective and it’s personal taste .

Trying to apply a uniform idealism appealing to your own preferences is a pointless endeavour.

Oh a harmonic distortions in a audio recording no matter how hifi it claims to be is what gives productions a unique charm .

One of the first things done in the signal path is to introduce distortion.

It’s a difficult concept to grasp but a completely transparent reproduction of a live recording has never been achieved.

Same as a photograph.

I hope they never achieve that but , it’s all a personal preference.

bill winslow hansen's gear list:bill winslow hansen's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 400D Sony a5000 Sony a7 II +8 more
Jocksa
Jocksa Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: Nope

MediaArchivist has it right.

The original scene is like the original performance.

The raw file is like the raw microphone feeds.

Lightroom is like a mixing desk/Protools.

Photoshop is like Autotune.

The finished edited Jpg is like the finished edited flac file.

HiFi in music is merely how accurately you can turn that flac file back into sound for the ear so in photography it would be how accurately you can turn the jpg back into light for the eye. In other words, how accurate your monitor or printer is.

-- hide signature --

Best advice given to me: "If you want to take better photographs, stand in front of something more interesting."

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Analog rules !

Don't need high fidelity as long as you understand... Analog sound and photos are the best! The machines also tend to last forever.

It's the reason this puppy will never die

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
Re: Nope

MediaArchivist wrote:

AutoFokus wrote:

(by Wikipedia)

Reproduction of the sound as recorded. That recording involves many layers of mixes, filters, and even performances. Even a recording of a live performance depends on mixing many channels into two (or a few more if you are fancy).

There are some recordings that are done with just a binaural or x-y coincidence mic or similar. One of the early recordings to use this that I'm aware of is the Trinity Sessions by the Cowboy Junkies - recorded with a single soundfield mic in a church.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/cowboy-junkies-sweet-jane

I think U2 would later go on to record in this same church.

No. It would involve printing, screen resolution, etc. Reproduction of the image as recorded.

I would agree with this. But you could attempt to reproduce reality as well - let's say a photo realistic enough to appear to be a window, if viewed from a stationary position. I mean heck - I saw the Tyrell building from Blade Runner and it was about 3 feet high. If movie magic can make me think a 3 foot model is a giant building, perhaps a photo could be real enough to make me think it was a window (at a glance).

Top 10 Artists Who Heavily Use Auto Tune

What do you think ?

Probably best to master both, and know where and when to focus your attention.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,733
Re: Analog rules !

Rambow wrote:

Don't need high fidelity as long as you understand... Analog sound and photos are the best! The machines also tend to last forever.

Whatever dude. Describing a cassette player as 'hi-fi' was always a stretch at the best of times.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
DavidP03 Regular Member • Posts: 409

bill winslow hansen wrote:

Actually the term hifi means nothing at all.

As evidenced by literally millions of home audio equipment items emblazoned with it,

Even the lower end of the scale.

I have stereos with the words hifi on them and am radios with the words hi fidelity.

Personal taste and preferences are subjective.

Back in the 70s a magazine did a test where they took cheap as beans recievers and put them up against the most expensive receivers .

The cheap hifi stuff won.

hifi really is a non definable term.

they tried it didn’t work .

The application of finish on photographs is almost as old as photography itself.

One negative using film can yield many different results depending on who what and how the photofinishing is done.

It’s subjective and it’s personal taste .

Trying to apply a uniform idealism appealing to your own preferences is a pointless endeavour.

Oh a harmonic distortions in a audio recording no matter how hifi it claims to be is what gives productions a unique charm .

One of the first things done in the signal path is to introduce distortion.

It’s a difficult concept to grasp but a completely transparent reproduction of a live recording has never been achieved.

Same as a photograph.

I hope they never achieve that but , it’s all a personal preference.

Off topic I know, I wonder how many know the meaning of ‘wifi’ without using google of course

David.

DavidP03's gear list:DavidP03's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K100D Super Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +7 more
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: Analog rules !

57even wrote:

Rambow wrote:

Whatever dude. Describing a cassette player as 'hi-fi' was always a stretch at the best of times.

Do you even read? The title was "Analog rules" and you literally quoted me saying "don't need high fidelity".

I said analog(sound, image) is the best, not anything else.

Let me rephrase my last sentence too, so that maybe this time you'd understand:

You know what rules? This

1990 TOTL Onkyo Integra TA-2760 3 head 3 motor cassette deck. Built to outlive the haters.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,049

Even in this day and age, cameras are not always able to see as the eye sees. So often photos need to be processed to re-create the fidelity of the original scene. There's no sin in using Photoshop.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Supisiche Regular Member • Posts: 312

"The word tree is not the tree."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads