R5 wifi not working

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,924
So turn off your router...

and try the search.  If it still hangs up then it is a neighbor's network.  Check for illegal characters in their SSID's.  If it doesn't hang but suggests using the camera's hotspot then the problem is your network.  Hope you have a SSID without any characters other that letters or numbers.

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
I've reported it to Canon...

kelpdiver wrote:

koenkooi wrote:

'Repeaters' and 'mesh' boil down to the same thing, so if the R5 doesn't like repeaters I'm not surprised it dislikes mesh as well. Canon should fix the firmware to work with both, of course.

With mesh (at least as my Orbi is configured) and repeaters, there are multiple devices broadcasting the same SSID. A bad implementation might have issue with that.

Though at least one person here detailed the problem occurring in a single router environment (is there a neighbor mesh in range?).

The technician had not heard of the problem but made a report describing my experience.

Have you tried searching with your network turned off?  That would tell you if your network is the problem.  It should let you nail the problem down.  Be sure there are no illegal characters in any visible SSID.  Use letters and numbers only.

Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Carl Cooley Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: I've reported it to Canon...

I don’t “see” any neighbor’s network on my home WiFi, just my own Eero mesh and Xfinity. When I turn off my Eero, camera still searches endlessly. Away from home it works with hot spot on my phone. Could Xfinity be a problem?

Re: I've reported it to Canon...

I’ve turned off the Xifinity public hot spot in my Xfinity account, but it may take 24 hours for the change to take effect.  I’ll see if that helps.  Of course, there are Xfinity hot spots everywhere.

Pull the plug...

Just unplug your router so that you aren't creating the problem to see if that stops the endless searching.

Re: Pull the plug...

Right.  Once the Xfinity network disappears, I’ll unplug the main Eero router, and test using my phone hotspot.

I’ve already tried just turning off the router with no luck.  There are no illegal characters in the network name.  No neighbor networks appear as options in my house, though that doesn’t mean there might not be a weak signal out there somewhere.

Carl Cooley wrote:

I’ve already tried just turning off the router with no luck. There are no illegal characters in the network name. No neighbor networks appear as options in my house, though that doesn’t mean there might not be a weak signal out there somewhere.

Clearly there is a problem in your house that you can not see if it only works away from your home.  Your phone only shows your network, and not any others?  The camera must be seeing something.

Looks like you will have to either wait for a firmware update (probably months) or find the offending wifi signal.

Talked to Canon support about R5 not finding access point

I called and talked with Canon support about this problem that a few people have had.  The support person listened carefully to my story (connection works away from home on iPhone hotspot but not at home on my eero mesh network.  He left the line to talk with “an engineer” who informed him that Canon was aware of this problem and working on solution.  They would call me when there was information.  Not holding my breath, but at least it seems to be on the radar.

OP Mike Mulaw Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Talked to Canon support about R5 not finding access point

Carl Cooley wrote:

I called and talked with Canon support about this problem that a few people have had. The support person listened carefully to my story (connection works away from home on iPhone hotspot but not at home on my eero mesh network. He left the line to talk with “an engineer” who informed him that Canon was aware of this problem and working on solution. They would call me when there was information. Not holding my breath, but at least it seems to be on the radar.

Thanks for the update.  If a few of us report this to canon, hopefully they'll address this in an upcoming firmware update.

1.10 didn't fix it...

Maybe the next one...

One more piece of information...I know have an R6 to try out.  The R6 has the same problem.  Can't locate an access point for WiFi in my house.  More evidence that this will need a firmware update (for both cameras) to fix.

Carl Cooley wrote:

One more piece of information...I know have an R6 to try out. The R6 has the same problem. Can't locate an access point for WiFi in my house. More evidence that this will need a firmware update (for both cameras) to fix.

Thanks for the update.  No surprise that the R6 has the same issue.  Since the R6 should sell  much better than the R5 (mainly because of price) we will soon see many more complaints.  Hopefully  this will speed up a solution.  One can only hope.

Firmware 1.1.1 did not fix it.

Prophyt New Member • Posts: 1

Same network setup, R6, same issue.  Searches endlessly.  Bluetooth works fine, albeit severely limited due to lack of WiFi. Will watch this thread for updates.

GetUp Regular Member • Posts: 185

It doesn’t help you, obviously, but successfully using now ftp connection in my studio, router is AirPort Time Capsule, iMac with some cheap ftp server from AppStore connected via Ethernet directly to router.

Commercial/editorial photographer, Latvia, EU.
http://www.andrey.lv

managerman New Member • Posts: 1

I have the same issue with my new R6.  Endless searching when trying to configure.  I also have an Eero network.  I called Eero and they said it was Canon's issue and when I talked to Canon they said it was Eero's issue.....Yikes!  Hopefully this will get figured out soon.. Glad I'm not alone...

-M

See2 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: R5 wifi not working

I had the same issue with a brand new R5 and was frustrated and determined enough to find a solution. A solution exists and that's the good news.

Summarily -- the issue is not faulty hardware. The radio in the camera works just fine for both Bluetooth 4.2 and IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi. The issue here is definitely with the software/firmware. More to the point the issue is not due to the wireless standard in use, encryption type, or network range/subnet. The issue is more closely related to the wireless topology. EERO devices have the most reproducible and consistent effect of freezing the camera while it searches for access points to display. When there is more than one SSID of the same name, encryption type, beacon interval, DTIM interval, and most likely some other internal value of the signal, the camera will refuse to even list the name of the network. There may be some particular values for beacon interval, DTIM interval, etc., that are directly responsible, but I didn't care to go deeper into the rabbit hole because most consumer WiFi devices don't even offer the ability to modify any of these parameters. I only wanted to make the camera WiFI work with the EEROs.

So, to get the camera to not freeze with your EERO system just simply unplug all EERO beacons in range of the camera. Leave only the EERO Pro powered on. If your neighbors are also using EEROs and you're in range of multiple EERO beacons (not that you would actually easily know this) then you'll have to find a way to position yourself so that only the EERO Pro is in range. After unplugging the beacons you will be able to successfully join your wireless network on the camera. The best part is that once you've joined the network and it's saved you can now plug in your beacons and the camera will continue to function on the wifi just fine. Strangely enough not only will it continue to function on the saved connection, but it will now also be able to re-join the network by scanning without freezing.

[EDIT] It also helps to change the name of the camera when doing this.

You're welcome.

ntingle New Member • Posts: 5
Re: R5 wifi not working

I had this same issue on my R6 with eero (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/EOS-R6-WiFi-failure-2nd-camera/m-p/318733#M46532) and found a similar solution. In my case I found a spot in my home where the camera could see the base eero Pro but none of the beacons (I didn't know this was why until I read this thread, but strongly suspected it).

The other thing I needed to do was to enter my SSID manually (it didn't show on the list).

Hoping for a firmware update to fix this soon as it's a royal pain having to locate this sweet spot. For me even though the network is saved it won't find it again, so perhaps I'll try turning off the beacons and connecting.

thanks!

Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,525
How good is it?

I started playing with the setup and ran into a problem and then thought... why am I troubleshooting this? If it takes 5 mins to transfer 10 GBs, this would be a waste of time, for me.

Anyone using it, can you say how long the average 10GB transfer takes?

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads