A real test of WR: Niagara Falls

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,528
A real test of WR: Niagara Falls

Hi,

Last autumn I visited Niagara Falls. The perfect occasion to test how good the WR sealing (weather resistant) of the Fuji X-H1 and the XF 16-55/2.8 WR is. Here is my report plus some images of course.

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=15379

It just worked without any issues at all!

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,588
Re: A real test of WR: Niagara Falls

Wow! REALLY wet!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +32 more
vivanchenko
vivanchenko Senior Member • Posts: 1,044

Social distancing? No?

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,178

Very nice photos.

X-T3 + 18-135 and a pain to keep the filter dry

Nikon D200 water sealed + 24-120 VR original non water sealed. No problems in the spray

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR XF 90mm Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +11 more
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 560

vivanchenko wrote:

Social distancing? No?

No. This was last autumn the OP said.

@Joachim: Thanks for sharing! Like them!

Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 9mm F2.8 Venus Laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5-5X Macro +4 more
airwilf
airwilf Regular Member • Posts: 104

Nice shots ! I have lived near the Falls for almost 20 years & we almost never go, especially in the summer. The crowds ( and prices ) can be overwhelming & photography is a crap shoot. Winter is great , especially January if it goes below zero for a couple of days & all that mist freezes to everything it touches. Everything within a couple of hundred feet of the Falls is an ice sculpture.

-- hide signature --

The older I get, the less I care what people think of me. Therefore, the older I get , the more I enjoy life.

airwilf's gear list:airwilf's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
MrSee
MrSee Contributing Member • Posts: 777

Love your shots. Love the different vantage points of the falls.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,588

Cold, windy, wet. You are tough! Nice photos.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +32 more
Wezre Contributing Member • Posts: 730

Very nice shots and good to see how Fuji gear holds up. I took a Nikon D7200 and 17-55 2.8 up to the falls on the Hornblower (Canadian side) and it worked like a champ after being doused. It did seem like the water has minerals in it that left behind deposits when it dried, so I would definitely use a filter if I did it again.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Morris0

airwilf wrote:

Nice shots ! I have lived near the Falls for almost 20 years & we almost never go, especially in the summer. The crowds ( and prices ) can be overwhelming & photography is a crap shoot. Winter is great , especially January if it goes below zero for a couple of days & all that mist freezes to everything it touches. Everything within a couple of hundred feet of the Falls is an ice sculpture.

I've always wanted to go in the winter yet can't convince my wife

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR XF 90mm Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +11 more
Samuraidog Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

I've been to Niagara Falls probably a dozen times in my life, yet I've never visited the U.S. side, despite living in the U.S. my entire life.

Morris0

Samuraidog wrote:

Cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

I've been to Niagara Falls probably a dozen times in my life, yet I've never visited the U.S. side, despite living in the U.S. my entire life.

The Canadian side is much nicer.

Ralphward Barney New Member • Posts: 15

I know the weather sealing is really good on Fuji cameras but I still can't bring myself to risking it for this kind of thing. I would kick myself so hard if I trashed my $1700 camera. I've seen the videos on youtube of people using the XT3/XT4 in straight up downpours with no issues, but they probably didn't pay for the cameras...

MrSee
MrSee Contributing Member • Posts: 777

Morris, I live 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. It’s worth the trip to see it in the winter, especially during the Christmas Season.

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Morris0

MrSee wrote:

Morris, I live 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. It’s worth the trip to see it in the winter, especially during the Christmas Season.

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

It's a full day's drive for us.  I have friends that go every year and rave about it.  My wife hates the cold...

airwilf

I didn’t have any moisture issues with my gear .The mist is very fine and my lens hood managed to keep the lens clean. The only reason I wore my large winter coat was that it was a loose fit and I could  tuck my camera inside. It was the only day all winter that I wore it.

-- hide signature --

The older I get, the less I care what people think of me. Therefore, the older I get , the more I enjoy life.

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
vivanchenko
vivanchenko Senior Member • Posts: 1,044

It's a two and a half hour drive for me from Barrie. Totally agree with everyone that it is a majestic place, though I don't go there often. The nightmare of driving through Toronto, Mississauga and Hamilton puts me off it.

I shot this images using my lowly X-M1 and 16-50. Unfortunately I don't have access now to the original files. The images are also unedited.

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
jshetley
jshetley Senior Member • Posts: 1,523

What an awesome blog post.  The story and pictures were so good.  You have the best Fuji blog on the internet.  Thanks for sharing you experience with us.

-- hide signature --

jshetley's gear list:jshetley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +10 more
Joachim Gerstl
OP Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,528

Rightsaidfred wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

Social distancing? No?

No. This was last autumn the OP said.

@Joachim: Thanks for sharing! Like them!

Thank you! Yes it was last autumn when life still was what it used to be.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
airwilf

Jshetley, This was my first kick at th cat so to speak, on this forum. Time to post some pics taken at 35C/95 F  or hotter. Set all kind of heat records this year, looking forward to posting some summer shots. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads