Options for Scanning 120 films ???

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,528
Options for Scanning 120 films ???

Hi guys,

I am shooting with a Mamiya 645 1000s, which is a lovely cam, but I feel a bit frustrated by the lack of available options for scanning 120 films. I really like the Plustek 8200i but I can only scan 35mm.

Flat beds is an option (V600/V800/V850 series), but I would like to know whether there would be better options for scanning MF negatives / slide films. I do NOT want to use a dSLR/camera to scan my negatives.

What are the older Konica Minolta scanners capable to scan MF films?

Seriously, in 2020, and we have so few options.

I would have liked something like the Braun FS-120 or Plustek 120, but there are nowhere to be found new.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570, XD5 & XD11 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 1,061
Re: Options for Scanning 120 films ???

moimoi wrote:

Hi guys,

I am shooting with a Mamiya 645 1000s, which is a lovely cam, but I feel a bit frustrated by the lack of available options for scanning 120 films. I really like the Plustek 8200i but I can only scan 35mm.

Flat beds is an option (V600/V800/V850 series), but I would like to know whether there would be better options for scanning MF negatives / slide films. I do NOT want to use a dSLR/camera to scan my negatives.

I would have liked something like the Braun FS-120 or Plustek 120, but there are nowhere to be found new.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Max

I use a V550, which are still available new for 120 (I use a Plustek for 35mm). You can also get Silverfast free to use with it if you don’t like the Epson software.

The Plustek 120 seems to be available second hand at around £1000, or there are the various Nikons.

neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,812

If you've the budget , I'd just wait for the Plustek to be available again .

As mentioned on your other thread about flatbed scanner availability , with the pandemic manufacturing and distribution had taken a hit .

If a flatbed good enough , get one of them . ( I use an old Epson for my 120 and 5x4 scanning ) .

If you "must" have it now and can't find new , get second hand .

Just make sure all the bits are with it .

With the lack of supply , prices used have no doubt gone up .

So either make do with what you can get and pay the price , or wait until things return to normal and take your pick and shop around .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +41 more

neilt3 wrote:

As mentioned on your other thread about flatbed scanner availability , with the pandemic manufacturing and distribution had taken a hit .

If a flatbed good enough , get one of them . ( I use an old Epson for my 120 and 5x4 scanning ) .

So either make do with what you can get and pay the price , or wait until things return to normal and take your pick and shop around .

I think that the Plustek was no longer manufactured, rather than a supply issue.  Not that there might not be a new version in the future.....

peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,558
Epson vs. other options

moimoi wrote:

Flat beds is an option (V600/V800/V850 series), but I would like to know whether there would be better options for scanning MF negatives / slide films.

If by "better" you mean higher quality scans, there's no doubt that a Nikon LS-9000, a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi, or an Imacon/Hasselblad Flextight scanner will outperform a consumer Epson flatbed. The possible drawbacks would be cost, computer compatibility, and repairability.

I don't know anything about the Braun and Plustek scanners you mentioned, but B&H Photo here in the U.S. shows the Braun in stock right now.

As of now, I'm using an Epson V700 with an aftermarket film holder from Better Scanning. It does a very credible job with medium format and larger negatives, if you take the time to carefully calibrate your system (get film holder height correct, and make sure your film is held flat). The calibration only needs to be done once, and then maybe verified occasionally. I also find the workflow tolerable, if somewhat slow-ish. There are also some lessons that must be learned about post-processing.

I've ordered drum scans and used some very good scanners (Imacons and LS-9000's), and also experimented extensively with camera scanning, so I have a pretty good idea of what a top-notch result looks like. You can get superior results with those methods, but not easily or cheaply, for medium format (Camera scanning is definitely superior to the Epson for 35mm negs.)

For me, for now, the V700 provides a reasonable level of quality and workflow efficiency. If the day comes when I have the money and space to permanently set up a high resolution camera with multi-shot capability on a copy stand, I'll probably switch to camera scanning for medium format. But that day is not here yet.

Windeguy Regular Member • Posts: 399

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

I think that the Plustek was no longer manufactured, rather than a supply issue. Not that there might not be a new version in the future.....

Just saw this new Plustek 120: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089D3TKQZ

neilt3

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

I think that the Plustek was no longer manufactured, rather than a supply issue. Not that there might not be a new version in the future.....

It's still on their website , with no mention of it being discontinued , and it's still for sale on Amazon .

See the link in the above post .

Have you seen it from some official/reputable source that it's discontinued ?

Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +41 more

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

It's still on their website , with no mention of it being discontinued , and it's still for sale on Amazon .

It looks like they’ve released a new version - https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166648

(I was interested in buying a 120 a few years ago before it had started shipping, then when it did it was £1,600, so I thought I’d wait a while for the price to come down, then it was discontinued.

I’ve never checked since if they’d made a new version, which they obviously have, with a new price ! I’ll just have to wait again !

There were reported to be some issues with the first version, but they looked like they’ve been fixed for this)

neilt3

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

It looks like they’ve released a new version - https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166648

(I was interested in buying a 120 a few years ago before it had started shipping, then when it did it was £1,600, so I thought I’d wait a while for the price to come down, then it was discontinued.

I’ve never checked since if they’d made a new version, which they obviously have, with a new price ! I’ll just have to wait again !

There were reported to be some issues with the first version, but they looked like they’ve been fixed for this)

I'd like one myself , but I think it'll be a long time before they get down to my budget !

It's good that they've not stopped developing new scanners .

moimoi
OP moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,528

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

I'd like one myself , but I think it'll be a long time before they get down to my budget !

It's good that they've not stopped developing new scanners .

This is neat.   I just checked the Plustek website, and the new 120 scanner is coming soon.    Nice!   Finally!

How much should we expect in USD?  +1500 USD?

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
moimoi

Overrank wrote:

moimoi wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Max

I use a V550, which are still available new for 120 (I use a Plustek for 35mm). You can also get Silverfast free to use with it if you don’t like the Epson software.

The Plustek 120 seems to be available second hand at around £1000, or there are the various Nikons.

I got the Plustek 8200i AI version that comes with Silverfast.  If I had to get an Epson flatbed, would I be able to use the same license for Silverfast?

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

moimoi wrote:

Overrank wrote:

moimoi wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Max

I got the Plustek 8200i AI version that comes with Silverfast. If I had to get an Epson flatbed, would I be able to use the same license for Silverfast?

Cheers,

Max

There’s a free version of Silverfast SE for the V550 https://www.silverfast.com/show/bundle-epson/en.html

I don’t think you can use the one that comes with the 8200 on the V550, at least it never worked on mine. I just have two icons, one linked to SE for the V550 and one to AI for the Plustek

neilt3 wrote:

i think that and scanning all the old slides and negatives has become a good project for when people are locked in at home, so there’s been a rush on what is available   I’ve just seen a Plustek 8200 priced at nearly £600 on Amazon, normally they’re around £300

Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Re: Epson vs. other options

I also have an Epson V700 and I find the scans with their holders acceptable. I am sure the Better Scanning holder would be superior. I also use the Epson software, in Professional mode, was not impressed with the Silverfast SE software, though the full version would be worth a look.

The Minolta Scan Multi was a disappointment, the 35mm were excellent but the original model only had 600 dpi as the highest scan resolution for 120. I never got an answer about the 2nd model that came out. When Sony bought Minolta they dropped all the scanners because they interfered with Sony's scanner division. The best desktop solution was the Nikon 9000, but they are getting old, Nikon no longer supports them. If you are going for a scanner an Epson V800 with the Better Scanning 120 holder would be the way to go, you can also wait for the Plustek.

I am not sure why you don't want to photograph the negatives, works well and I think it is sharper than a scanner with a digital camera and a good macro lens, even a 2nd hand one.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
neilt3

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

i think that and scanning all the old slides and negatives has become a good project for when people are locked in at home, so there’s been a rush on what is available I’ve just seen a Plustek 8200 priced at nearly £600 on Amazon, normally they’re around £300

That's the problem , supply and demand .

moimoi

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

i think that and scanning all the old slides and negatives has become a good project for when people are locked in at home, so there’s been a rush on what is available I’ve just seen a Plustek 8200 priced at nearly £600 on Amazon, normally they’re around £300

I am not giving a penny to the sellers selling the scanners for double price. No way.

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,558

Tomm111 wrote:

... I also use the Epson software, in Professional mode,

Yep, me too, and get good results with it. I spent a fair bit of time testing other scanning software and could not improve on what Epson Scan does, when used properly.

If you are going for a scanner an Epson V800 with the Better Scanning 120 holder would be the way to go, you can also wait for the Plustek.

I am not sure why you don't want to photograph the negatives, works well and I think it is sharper than a scanner with a digital camera and a good macro lens, even a 2nd hand one.

I think you may have conflated me with the OP, but I agree with you that the V800 with a Better Scanning holder is a good solution. Can't speak for the Plustek, having never come near one.

It was the OP who didn't want to do camera scanning.

I myself don't currently do it with medium format film because I have to really jump through hoops to surpass my V700. I have to shoot at least 3 separate 24-megapixel images of a 6x6 or 6x7 negative and stitch them together. That's a pain. I also don't have room to leave the rig set up all the time, so I have to assemble and re-align etc. every time I want to use it. Also a pain.

But, as I said, if had the space and money to dedicate a high-resolution camera with multi-shot capability (a Panasonic S1R, for example) to the job, along with a permanent copy stand set up, things would be different. Then I could beat my V700 with a single shot instead of stitching, and I wouldn't have a lot of set up and teardown work every time I wanted to scan. In that case, I would switch to camera scanning.

neilt3

moimoi wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

I am not giving a penny to the sellers selling the scanners for double price. No way.

Cheers,

Max

Good on you .

And when things return to normal and they put their prices back down , still don't spend a penny with the robbing , theiving , profiteering scum again either !

Tomm111 wrote:

I also have an Epson V700 and I find the scans with their holders acceptable. I am sure the Better Scanning holder would be superior. I also use the Epson software, in Professional mode, was not impressed with the Silverfast SE software, though the full version would be worth a look.

I’ve found the Epson software on my Windows 10 machine locks it up if I switch away from it and doesn’t like certain things plugged into the USB   But I put the PC together myself, which might be the problem  I don’t have that issue with Silverfast but YMMV

moimoi

neilt3 wrote:

moimoi wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Cheers,

Max

Good on you .

And when things return to normal and they put their prices back down , still don't spend a penny with the robbing , theiving , profiteering scum again either !

Most definitely.   Amazon should kick them out for doing so.   Totally unacceptable.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads