Neowise with Big Dipper and trees ...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
elgol20
elgol20 Contributing Member • Posts: 808
Neowise with Big Dipper and trees ...

Hi,

thousands of Neowise pics everywhere. Actually kind a nice since many have been waiting for years for such a pretty one. I was on family vacation during the best period and we went out several times. Conditions were ok, still lots of light pollution, clouds and mist. Yet I was surprised what you can get out of the data with background subtraction: When astropixelprocessor finally (!) introduced comet processing I redid most files with it, much easier and better than with PI or DSS, more precise. I only had my lighttrack II with me, so sometimes the tripod moved. APP evaluates the core position, so this helps.

One evening we were up reading a book togther while I just pushed the trigger with a 40mm lens (Sigma Art) over 60 min 8 sec each shot. I stitched maybe 30 together, 3 stacks, one for forground, stars and comet. Maybe a dark silhuette is better, but crazy how much dynamik range is in this:

not so bad for 4 min

this is with the same 40mm lens, but 2 min for each frame, 30 times. Lots of clouds inbetween.

next is done with a Redcat, lots of clouds inbetween again so I lost some dusttail detail

Neowise over this small village in "Sauerland". From the rented house we just drove up that hill in the background:

this I am working on again with APP, 135mm, should get better

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

elgol20's gear list:elgol20's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
elgol20
OP elgol20 Contributing Member • Posts: 808
Re: Neowise with Big Dipper and trees ...

improved the last one with APP a bit. The strong MAD median sigma at 2.0 clipping is better to get rid of most star trails in the comet process

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,137

Better. I do notice that the dust tail changed color, from white to yellowish. In one of your images (all nice, I should say) the dust tail is even reddish. From my own photo efforts on the comet (two of which I posted here before), it would seem the color of the dust tail especially depends on the elevation of the comet during the sub-exposures. The closer to the horizon, the redder it gets due to atmospheric extinction.

Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,240

Lovely images of a fine comet.

Summer comets is a bummer here at high latitudes where the bright summer sky hide most things astronomical (well, got the comet head). So thank you for sharing!

elgol20

Alen K wrote:

Better. I do notice that the dust tail changed color, from white to yellowish. In one of your images (all nice, I should say) the dust tail is even reddish. From my own photo efforts on the comet (two of which I posted here before), it would seem the color of the dust tail especially depends on the elevation of the comet during the sub-exposures. The closer to the horizon, the redder it gets due to atmospheric extinction.

yes, color is not trivial with this low altitude and clouds. Saturation turnt up leads to this. Myson liked it. Before I had it lower.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

RustierOne
RustierOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,399

Those are among the very best Comet Neowise photos I've seen - great work! Thanks for sharing your successes with us.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,141

Excellent.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
elgol20

Thank you very much for your feedback 

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

elgol20

another one which I really like. single shot of my 4th time with Neowise using Redcat, Sigma Art 40 and 135mm with Lighttrack II. That was 10:37 p.m.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads