Youtube poisoning?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,801
Re: Youtube poisoning?

Dareshooter wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to spend every waking hour on YouTube watching every unboxing video you can find. Maybe just pick someone you like, and stick to them. This goes for any type of content and is quite successful at combating repetition.

I never got the point of unboxing videos. Is packing material more interesting than I give it credit for?

I find them pretty useful when I can't sleep and there's no cricket on the telly. Doze off in next to no time.

I doze off to the cricket...

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 947

On a positive note, thanks to YouTube I have:

- replaced a motherboard on a dryer saving hundreds of $.

- repaired a dishwasher saving hundreds of $.

- repaired a washing machine.

- replaced the electric motor and power window mechanism in four different car doors saving more cash.

Even on jobs we elected to hire out due to time and equipment needed, we saved money and had the work done right by knowing what we wanted done and having a reasonable idea of what the job costs. Paid a little more than initial expectations, but learned what we needed to solve the problem we were having.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 6,002

If YouTube wasn't around what would those people be doing for a living?

At least we can turn them off.

-- hide signature --

Satan loves the shadows - and the highlights.

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
All Bushs Fault Regular Member • Posts: 204

What exactly are you looking for that two weeks of research did not fulfill?

All Bushs Fault's gear list:All Bushs Fault's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 2,760

Instead of unboxing videos I'd like to see reboxing videos in case we have to send stuff back.

You know, sometimes the way stuff is packed amazes me when I have to repack it. It's like factories are presided over by Origami Commissars.

markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,091

threw the lens wrote:

Instead of unboxing videos I'd like to see reboxing videos in case we have to send stuff back.

You know, sometimes the way stuff is packed amazes me when I have to repack it. It's like factories are presided over by Origami Commissars.

Yes! In my excitement when unboxing I never remember how everything fits back in.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,412

JustUs7 wrote:

On a positive note, thanks to YouTube I have:

- replaced a motherboard on a dryer saving hundreds of $.

- repaired a dishwasher saving hundreds of $.

- repaired a washing machine.

- replaced the electric motor and power window mechanism in four different car doors saving more cash.

Even on jobs we elected to hire out due to time and equipment needed, we saved money and had the work done right by knowing what we wanted done and having a reasonable idea of what the job costs. Paid a little more than initial expectations, but learned what we needed to solve the problem we were having.

Me too. I've replaced four car window mechanisms. $350-500. My cost: $40.  Any fifteen year old kid could do.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Steve_in_Texas
Steve_in_Texas Regular Member • Posts: 190

I don't follow any photo / camera stuff on youtube.

I do follow some electronic and car repair / technology talkers.  Some of these folks have a million youtube views per video and they also get sponsors from (an often) value added Patreon subscription.  Patreon alone is bringing them over $20K US per month.

-- hide signature --

WSSA member #452

Steve_in_Texas's gear list:Steve_in_Texas's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D750 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 2,937

It seems weird to seek out, dislike, and complain about optional content.  Clearly a lot of people like this stuff or it wouldn't be produced.  I find the camera reviews enjoyable, as it's fun to hear about the latest features and tradeoffs.  Especially when local photography groups are no longer meeting...

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Bodkins Best Photography
Bodkins Best Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 685

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Are you not wondering how is it that people have so much to say on youtube about pretty much nothing? Last 2 weeks I was doing too much research on R5 and what I realized is how much irrelevant, repeated information is out there. I amazes me that people always think that their opinion matters even though they know that the same thing has been discussed and is available on-line already. I think you have 5% of content that is unique and the rest is unboxing. How many unboxing videos you need on-line for the same camera?

It is not just this, but I seriously have a feeling that folks do not have anybody to talk to so they turn their cameras on and broadcast how they day went on-line and why they are angry and what they deserve better:-)

I think that we live in an age where protecting the mind is the most difficult and most needed skill that people need to possess. There is just too much info that is useless.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie.  You know there are people out there that make ALL their money on YouTube, right?

Bodkins Best Photography's gear list:Bodkins Best Photography's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,091

BodkinsBest wrote:

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Are you not wondering how is it that people have so much to say on youtube about pretty much nothing? Last 2 weeks I was doing too much research on R5 and what I realized is how much irrelevant, repeated information is out there. I amazes me that people always think that their opinion matters even though they know that the same thing has been discussed and is available on-line already. I think you have 5% of content that is unique and the rest is unboxing. How many unboxing videos you need on-line for the same camera?

It is not just this, but I seriously have a feeling that folks do not have anybody to talk to so they turn their cameras on and broadcast how they day went on-line and why they are angry and what they deserve better:-)

I think that we live in an age where protecting the mind is the most difficult and most needed skill that people need to possess. There is just too much info that is useless.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. You know there are people out there that make ALL their money on YouTube, right?

My son is addicted to Ryan's toy review. If you Google how much Ryan (an 8 year old) earned last year you may be surprised! Seems like his parents started the channel at exactly the right time!

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,746

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Are you not wondering how is it that people have so much to say on youtube about pretty much nothing? Last 2 weeks I was doing too much research on R5 and what I realized is how much irrelevant, repeated information is out there. I amazes me that people always think that their opinion matters even though they know that the same thing has been discussed and is available on-line already. I think you have 5% of content that is unique and the rest is unboxing.

It's not about content. The provider isn't selling content; he/she is selling self, or person. Hence the programs aren't about the subject matter; they are about self-expression around a topic of the day.

Similarly, the intended viewer isn't there for content in terms of subject matter; he/she is there for entertainment. The entertainment comes from the personality, or style, of the provider. That is why the subscription model works; it would be pointless if viewers were just randomly visiting the channel for today's content only.

That is why Youtube is the wrong place to go to research a topic. You will find yourself drowning in too many personalities and not enough discrete content. You are not the intended audience. The people you are viewing don't want you to appreciate the content on a random basis; they want you to feel entertained enough to want to come back to the person, i.e. to hit 'Subscribe'.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
mdmarqphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 850

TN Args wrote:

That is why Youtube is the wrong place to go to research a topic. You will find yourself drowning in too many personalities and not enough discrete content. You are not the intended audience. The people you are viewing don't want you to appreciate the content on a random basis; they want you to feel entertained enough to want to come back to the person, i.e. to hit 'Subscribe'.

cheers

I find a lot of good info on youtube personally, but I agree with you on the above.  I've noticed over the past year or so more of the channels I subscribe to have been using their own image in the video thumbnail (usually making funny faces).  To me, this makes it seem like the video is going to be more about them (for entertainment as you say) and less about the actual content/subject.

mdmarqphoto's gear list:mdmarqphoto's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

Jonsi wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to spend every waking hour on YouTube watching every unboxing video you can find. Maybe just pick someone you like, and stick to them. This goes for any type of content and is quite successful at combating repetition.

I never got the point of unboxing videos. Is packing material more interesting than I give it credit for?

Yep!  I have three or four YT reviewers that I like.  I skip the others.

David

-- hide signature --

"The world doesn't need you...." Gene Simmons
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
T18 Photography
T18 Photography Forum Member • Posts: 75

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Don't mind me, I 100% mean no offence to you when I say this, but the fact you have posted this opinion here means you think your opinion matters on this particular subject. It's the same concept as YouTuber's just that it's in text form and not video.

I get what you mean, but also we'd be lost without YouTube, despite how watered down it is, if it had half the amount of "opinions" on it YT would be half as successful and thus harder to take in those opinions and form your own. Same as a lot of people (me included) would be lost without DP Review too.

something to think on at least

-- hide signature --

My favourite 18 - adobe.ly/2wL5qZO

T18 Photography's gear list:T18 Photography's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961
Your habits vs channel fans.

Light Pilgrim wrote:

You might view many videos on the R5 to gather as much information as possible. So you visit lots of channels and find they are all regurgitating the same information you already got a forum or a press release. You are not there to be entertained by their personality, so it seems like a waste of your time to keep hearing the same thing over and over again.

Other people however are followers/fans of particular channels and don't watch every video they can find. They go to those channels to get their photography information in general. Those videos, for them, will be the first time they hear that information. Those fans/followers would find it highly irregular for their favorite photography channel to not do a video simply because the information was already out there on other channels.

I think that is the point of Youtube vlogging and the reason it is successful. Content has a personality and a lot of people enjoy it. You don't. That's fine too.

Protecting the mind? I think its a stretch to say that watching a vlogger give a personalized review intermixed with anecdotes about their daily grind is somehow damaging to the mind.

I think we live in an age where there are so many content creators enabling people to find content tailored to their unique preferences. I think this is an improvement over my childhood when channels carried the least common denominator and you had to set a recording or tune in at a specific time just to see content that you preferred.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,909
Useless thread

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Just don't watch if you do not like, what is your problem ?

It is not just this, but I seriously have a feeling that folks do not have anybody to talk to

Unnecessary comment.

I have seriously the feeling that folks like you spend their time judging others.

so they turn their cameras on and broadcast how they day went on-line and why they are angry and what they deserve better:-)

Well, your thread was certainly useless.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads