Youtube poisoning?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Light Pilgrim
Light Pilgrim Senior Member • Posts: 1,234
Youtube poisoning?

Are you not wondering how is it that people have so much to say on youtube about pretty much nothing? Last 2 weeks I was doing too much research on R5 and what I realized is how much irrelevant, repeated information is out there. I amazes me that people always think that their opinion matters even though they know that the same thing has been discussed and is available on-line already. I think you have 5% of content that is unique and the rest is unboxing. How many unboxing videos you need on-line for the same camera?

It is not just this, but I seriously have a feeling that folks do not have anybody to talk to so they turn their cameras on and broadcast how they day went on-line and why they are angry and what they deserve better:-)

I think that we live in an age where protecting the mind is the most difficult and most needed skill that people need to possess. There is just too much info that is useless.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jnd Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Youtube poisoning?

I haven't seen any unboxing in a long time but I've see plenty of videos where people are rehashing the already known specs and sometimes even don't understand them enough so you will catch them claiming some obvious nonsense pointing to they never even held mentioned camera in their hands. That's such a waste of time! I already read up all the specs and rumors and reports, I don't need someone else reading it for me again. Some pretty big photo youtubers are guilty of this. Viewers are to blame too. If they consider Youtube channels as their news source and get their info from there and contribute to the 100k views then you can't do much about it.

jnd's gear list:jnd's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Kamlan 50mm F1.1 II +12 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,975

I find the hands on reviews useful, just to get a look at the camera being used.

But I agree we're reaching saturation point and some of the videos are much too long to keep me interested.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Are you not wondering how is it that people have so much to say on youtube about pretty much nothing? Last 2 weeks I was doing too much research on R5 and what I realized is how much irrelevant, repeated information is out there. I amazes me that people always think that their opinion matters even though they know that the same thing has been discussed and is available on-line already. I think you have 5% of content that is unique and the rest is unboxing. How many unboxing videos you need on-line for the same camera?

It is not just this, but I seriously have a feeling that folks do not have anybody to talk to so they turn their cameras on and broadcast how they day went on-line and why they are angry and what they deserve better:-)

I think that we live in an age where protecting the mind is the most difficult and most needed skill that people need to possess. There is just too much info that is useless.

So many are trying to be controversial as it gets the hits.

As for whether there are too many or not enough or whatever, don't watch them. I'm a Canon fan and I've yet to watch an unboxing video of the R5. I've read the specs. Could care less about video and overheating. I'm more interested in what the real world use is like with a working photographer.

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Youtube is not information

The viral videos are all about entertainment, not educating people. And the owners reallly don't care either, since what they need are clicks, not smart people.

This is like watching Hollywood movies in an attempt to learn history. Not gonna happen.

That being said, Gordon from Camera Labs showcased the most important features of the R5 rather well, i can't really complain. He also measured effective IS, unlike the others.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,198

Light Pilgrim wrote:

You just about summed up the internet in general.

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,961

I don't think you're supposed to spend every waking hour on YouTube watching every unboxing video you can find. Maybe just pick someone you like, and stick to them.  This goes for any type of content and is quite successful at combating repetition.

I never got the point of unboxing videos. Is packing material more interesting than I give it credit for?

Jonsi wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to spend every waking hour on YouTube watching every unboxing video you can find. Maybe just pick someone you like, and stick to them. This goes for any type of content and is quite successful at combating repetition.

I never got the point of unboxing videos. Is packing material more interesting than I give it credit for?

I think it must be the element of surprise after the 'unboxing'.

Oh no wait, everybody already knows what's in the box beforehand..

Then again, some people enjoy watching people wrap Christmas presents. Yes, apparently that is actually a thing.

jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

Light Pilgrim wrote:

They make it and you watch it. That's the only thing the system is optimized for.

Some people need an outlet for their rants no one else will listen to.  Some people need constant attention, even if from strangers.  If they can make a few bucks or get some free stuff out of the deal, all the better.

My highly extroverted 4 year old wants nothing more than to make YouTube videos "and send them to everyone in the world" precisely because she wants to have lots of people to talk to. Isolation has been rough for her.  Maybe I should buy an R5 and have her do an unboxing...

That seems like a problem that is easily solved...

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more

jayrandomer wrote:

Light Pilgrim wrote:

They make it and you watch it. That's the only thing the system is optimized for.

Some people need an outlet for their rants no one else will listen to. Some people need constant attention, even if from strangers. If they can make a few bucks or get some free stuff out of the deal, all the better.

My highly extroverted 4 year old wants nothing more than to make YouTube videos "and send them to everyone in the world" precisely because she wants to have lots of people to talk to. Isolation has been rough for her. Maybe I should buy an R5 and have her do an unboxing...

That seems like a problem that is easily solved...

I think this is a good idea. My 5 year old is similar. I just need to market the idea to my wife. Sell her the idea that I need to buy a load of tech so that my son can do unboxing videos..

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670

Is anyone forcing you to watch it?

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,516

Jonsi wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to spend every waking hour on YouTube watching every unboxing video you can find. Maybe just pick someone you like, and stick to them. This goes for any type of content and is quite successful at combating repetition.

I find them pretty useful when I can't sleep and there's no cricket on the telly. Doze off in next to no time.

JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 881

The problem isn’t YouTube. The problem is the viewer. In the old days of network television, you had three networks and the 6:00 evening news. You had your Dan Rather people, your Tom Brokaw people. Or Walter Cronkite if you go further back. And Peter Jennings. You could only watch one at a time. Nobody watched NBC, then pulled up ABC and complained, “These are all the same stories that guy was taking about!”

So pick a flavor you enjoy for the combo of quality information delivered in a style you appreciate and roll with it. Then turn it off and get some fresh air.

If everyone needs to watch every bit of R5 news until they’re out of content, I might make a channel too! People will watch for fear of missing something.

Think I’ll call it, “Graydon’tknowphoto!”

Ooh! That’s quite an idea! I’ll have people send me photography stuff with no manuals and I’ll do unboxing videos where I, the rank amateur, guess what the heck it’s for and how one uses it. Then experienced photographers can call me names in the comments! Sounds like a winner!

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,733

MisterBG wrote:

Light Pilgrim wrote:

He just summed up human life in general. The internet is just a mirror of human banality.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Some people's minds are so well protected there's nothing in them

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Fujifilm X-Pro2
mdmarqphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 825

JustUs7 wrote:

The problem isn’t YouTube. The problem is the viewer. In the old days of network television, you had three networks and the 6:00 evening news. You had your Dan Rather people, your Tom Brokaw people. Or Walter Cronkite if you go further back. And Peter Jennings. You could only watch one at a time. Nobody watched NBC, then pulled up ABC and complained, “These are all the same stories that guy was taking about!”

Good point, and that's why I limit how many people I subscribe to and stick to mostly them.  When I see the same topic by other channels I usually will just ignore them.

mdmarqphoto's gear list:mdmarqphoto's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,198

57even wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Light Pilgrim wrote:

He just summed up human life in general. The internet is just a mirror of human banality.

On the other hand, there are many manufacturer produced instructional videos on YouTube which provide a valuable resource for learning the inticacies of different software programs and techniques.

Personally, I have learned a great deal from YouTube, as well as learning there is also  some extremely bad advice being displayed there.

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,332

This has been a fun thread. Lots of smart comments and analogies. This is America, where there is a three tiered shelf 10' long of just toothpaste.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Light Pilgrim
OP Light Pilgrim Senior Member • Posts: 1,234

Youtube as a tool is neither good nor bad. Just like everything, it is down to how it is used. I have a feeling that all social media, youtube including is a "magnifier" and it transmits the signal. Let's say there is an angry guy sitting at home and he is not happy with the purchase he made or not happy with life or whatever. Back in the day noone would even know that he exists. Today, he will just go on-line to share this with the world. Granted, noone forces you to watch. What I was trying to say is that I never even knew these guys exist and this kind of content exist till I started looking for "Canon R5".

Or a video why "I quit Canon":-) Seriously...who cares?

MisterBG wrote:

57even wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Light Pilgrim wrote:

On the other hand, there are many manufacturer produced instructional videos on YouTube which provide a valuable resource for learning the inticacies of different software programs and techniques.

Personally, I have learned a great deal from YouTube, as well as learning there is also some extremely bad advice being displayed there.

MisterBG wrote:

57even wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Personally, I have learned a great deal from YouTube, as well as learning there is also some extremely bad advice being displayed there.

Any unmoderated internet source is a minefield. There is some amazingly good stuff for free, and some amazingly entertaining trivia, which I love for relaxation - better than Netflix sometimes - but if you were to rank every site on YouTube by hits and followers, the stuff that's most wildly popular is mostly the trivial junk.

Don't get me wrong, I discovered some amazing musicians and artists, science talks on every conceivable subject, TED talks, history channels, and a bunch of other stuff. If you are selective, it is a huge source of information and entertainment.

But there's an awful lot of people making fools of themselves and falling over, and an awful lot of self-professed camera experts who, as you say, talk complete nonsense.

Then again, network TV and newspapers were almost as bad, and we had far less choice in the matter.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-Pro2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads