Digital beginner (35mm amateur) asking for advice on the first camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,149
Re: Digital beginner (35mm amateur) asking for advice on the first camera

Poonis5 wrote:

According to advices from this thread m43 is the optimal choice but I should stick to native lenses and not use simple adapters.

Olympus M10 Mark II was mentioned a lot in other threads too.

Panasonic was also recommended but as far as I know it's better at doing video. But I won't shoot any video so Olympus should suite my needs (stills) better. Right?

IMHO/AFAIK there's no significant difference in stills IQ between Oly and Pana except some people prefer the colors in Oly's JPG output. So that could be a reason to choose Oly but a rather subjective one. Personally I haven't seen a consistent difference in favour of either when looking at test photos. And color output is almost endlessly adjustable both in camera and post processing.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
OP Poonis5 Junior Member • Posts: 33

I see my words that you quoted but not replied to. Does it mean you agree with them?

rurikw wrote:

Poonis5 wrote:

According to advices from this thread m43 is the optimal choice but I should stick to native lenses and not use simple adapters.

Olympus M10 Mark II was mentioned a lot in other threads too.

Panasonic was also recommended but as far as I know it's better at doing video. But I won't shoot any video so Olympus should suite my needs (stills) better. Right?

IMHO/AFAIK there's no significant difference in stills IQ between Oly and Pana except some people prefer the colors in Oly's JPG output. So that could be a reason to choose Oly but a rather subjective one. Personally I haven't seen a consistent difference in favour of either when looking at test photos. And color output is almost endlessly adjustable both in camera and post processing.

Well I guess I need to research Panasonics 5-8 year old models now as I did for other brands. Don't want to miss a good option.

amit190 Regular Member • Posts: 439
The em10ii will be perfect

The em10ii will be perfect for you needs :

1. Costs nothing second hand.

2. Very compact for street.

3. Great for beginners , simple ,with lots of features.

4. You can use an arsenal of more then 100 lenses for the system , most of them are really cheap.

5. Follow this guy , look what he does with this camera and the olympus 60mm macro lens:

https://www.mu-43.com/members/hayath.31535/#latest-activity

TheGrammarFairy Regular Member • Posts: 360

You have excellent taste in lenses. I've been able to use Pentax screw mounts on my Nikons with no problems.

Poonis5 wrote:

I own mostly M42s, couple of Pentax Ks and a bunch of FSU M39s
I'm wearing glasses by the way. Focusing in deem light isn't that hard for me.

Re: The em10ii will be perfect

amit190 wrote:

The em10ii will be perfect for you needs :

1. Costs nothing second hand.

2. Very compact for street.

3. Great for beginners , simple ,with lots of features.

4. You can use an arsenal of more then 100 lenses for the system , most of them are really cheap.

5. Follow this guy , look what he does with this camera and the olympus 60mm macro lens:

https://www.mu-43.com/members/hayath.31535/#latest-activity

He does macro photos exactly how I like them.

I'll list options I've found so people here could see what I'm seeing.

Pentax K-30, kit lens, less than 10k shots - $180
Canon 600D, kit lens, good condition - $130
Sony A6000, 16-50 Black oss, 30k shots - $295
Sony A6000,16-50 Black oss, less than 1k shots - $348
Sony Nex-7, kit lens, good condition - $326
Olympus EMD M10 Mark II, kit lens, good condition - $325
Panasonic GX-1, no lens, good condition - $60
Panasonic GX-7, 25mm f/1.7, good condition, $217
Fujifilm X-E2, no lens, good condition, $190

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads