A few pics from today...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Jonathan0007
Jonathan0007 Regular Member • Posts: 158
A few pics from today...

I know these are not winning any awards. I am just posting them in case some of you would like some more samples from the R5. Unedited SOOC JPEGS.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MrGubrz
MrGubrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Re: A few pics from today...

looks good!

any quibbles or surprising delights that you've stumbled into?

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7 III Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +11 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 11,501

would you please let me know what is the size of SOOC jpeg file? appreciate it.

regards.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Jonathan0007
OP Jonathan0007 Regular Member • Posts: 158

MrGubrz wrote:

looks good!

The only quibble I can bring up is that after shooting for nearly an hour in South Florida, I was unable to use the HQ recording mode (I am pointing this out for those who do a lot of video; personally, it doesn't affect me because I have always been a stills guy).

What surprises me the most is just how all the systems come together to create such an amazing package. The images are a clear step or two above what the EOS R is capable of. The contrast, dynamic range and enhanced sharpness were evident as soon as I started viewing the photos on my computer. And the AF is truly transformative. It is the best overall AF I have ever used. The animal AF is the real deal.

So far I am really impressed by the R5. Looking forward to doing some more shooting with it soon.

Jonathan0007

1Dx4me wrote:

regards.

The files seem to range from 8 to 14MB. Looking at the files collectively, I would say they average about 12MB.

pepsijunior
pepsijunior Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

Jonathan0007 wrote:

MrGubrz wrote:

looks good!

The only quibble I can bring up is that after shooting for nearly an hour in South Florida, I was unable to use the HQ recording mode (I am pointing this out for those who do a lot of video; personally, it doesn't affect me because I have always been a stills guy).

What surprises me the most is just how all the systems come together to create such an amazing package. The images are a clear step or two above what the EOS R is capable of. The contrast, dynamic range and enhanced sharpness were evident as soon as I started viewing the photos on my computer. And the AF is truly transformative. It is the best overall AF I have ever used. The animal AF is the real deal.

i haven’t used the animal af yet but I do agree that this is a fantastic camera for still shooters and definitely has the overall best AF I’ve used (even over Sony). I have more testing to do with the ES. But it is by far the best MS I’ve used. I also immediately noticed the difference above the R and it makes it hard to go back. One reason I need two of them.

So far I am really impressed by the R5. Looking forward to doing some more shooting with it soon.

pepsijunior's gear list:pepsijunior's gear list
Nikon Z50 Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS +9 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 11,501

Jonathan0007 wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

regards.

The files seem to range from 8 to 14MB. Looking at the files collectively, I would say they average about 12MB.

that is what i find horrid, looks like jpeg compressed files and RAW files' ration is 1:2. so if you have 25mpx camera and generates 25-27MB RAW file, you actually have 12-14MB (jpeg) usable file. not many people have that of it that way. my 5DsR generates 60+MB RAW files but my jpeg files are 27-29MB, which is not bad but far cry from 60MB advertised thanks.

regards.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,379
More like 1:4 JPG to RAW ratio

1Dx4me wrote:

Jonathan0007 wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

regards.

that is what i find horrid, looks like jpeg compressed files and RAW files' ration is 1:2. so if you have 25mpx camera and generates 25-27MB RAW file, you actually have 12-14MB (jpeg) usable file. not many people have that of it that way. my 5DsR generates 60+MB RAW files but my jpeg files are 27-29MB, which is not bad but far cry from 60MB advertised thanks.

regards.

RAWs are about 40MB on average and JPGs are about 10MB on average.  They both vary a lot but it's closer to a 1:4 ratio (maybe actually 1:3.8 but I'm just using rough math).

Jonathan0007

pepsijunior wrote:

Jonathan0007 wrote:

MrGubrz wrote:

looks good!

i haven’t used the animal af yet but I do agree that this is a fantastic camera for still shooters and definitely has the overall best AF I’ve used (even over Sony). I have more testing to do with the ES. But it is by far the best MS I’ve used. I also immediately noticed the difference above the R and it makes it hard to go back. One reason I need two of them.

So true. Once you use the R5, you simply can’t go back to an R. I really believe this is the mirrorless D850 we’ve been waiting for: amazing stills photography with no significant weakness.

gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,379

Thanks for sharing.  The shots look great.  Shooting with the outstanding new body really shows off the strength of the RF24-105/4LIS!

Jonathan0007 wrote:

I know these are not winning any awards. I am just posting them in case some of you would like some more samples from the R5. Unedited SOOC JPEGS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads