Any reason to go 5DIV over R5?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,930
Re: Any reason to go 5DIV over R5?

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

Confused. Like everyone else I want to love the R5 but....I don't know.

I mean once you get to a certain threshold of image quality does it even matter? I would think 5DIV is already there.

if you are already invested in dslrs and EF lenses, i wouldn't bother. although EF lenses are adaptable to R cameras, i am not sure if it is worth going through all the trouble.

if you are happy with 5Dmk4, and it a very capable camera, then i wouldn't even think about moving to a new format. that is what i did, i purchased a 5DsR and i am good to go for a few years. the new R5's price will go lower in a couple years and canon will be taken care of all the kinks by then-- that will be the time to pick one up

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,645

Dracones wrote:

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I hike a lot, I worry about things going electric and losing its mechanical stoutness to them.

I don't know, maybe I am just trying to justify a cheaper purchase.

In my view, the mechanical part of a camera is more prone to failure than the electronic part of it in a hiking scenario.

If the size and weight are a factor here, the R line offers no benefits here. The cameras are not that light, the pro R lenses are heavy and bulky. If using EF lenses you need an adapter wich adds lenght and weight also, so no win here either.

You didn't mentioned the photo genres you're into so everybody here can only speculates.

If you ask for a hiking companion from your camera, maybe the M line is a better option for you.

Again, in the hiking scenario, the R5 feature that make it apart will not be of any use to you unless you do wildlife/bird photography, therefore you need to carry big lenses also.

Sure, 20fps is very appealing but it works just in certain conditions; IBIS is good to have, when you shoot in low light or using long focal lenses or macro. EVF takes some time to get used with it but is annoying in fast action situations. The R lenses are amazing apparently but the prices and their sizes makes you think twice. The swiveling LCD is nice but sometimes too much or annoying. Battery is still behind DSLR's performance. In flash photography the shots/sec is down to maximum 3Fps in EOS R's case (the R5's guide don't mention this any more); you get more with a dslr.

So just to mention a few downsides of the R line to think about.

Cheers

I have no real need for 20fps most of the time it makes for more workflow and I do not like that.   For me a solid 6-8 fps is ideal for all but the most special circumstances.   If you use 12FPS Mechanical in the R5 it will be 8-9fps using Serfo AF with tracking.   In H Drive mode it starts would be 8 fps but the AF Servo wil slow it down to 5-6fps.  My suite spot for speed is either H or F+ using Servo AF. The EOS 5FPS  likewise slows down lower using Servo AF but the biggest issues for me is the Stutter in EVF using 5FPS H+ drive mode  makes faster bird tracking much worse than 7D mirror blackout or 5D mirro black out in terms of tracking formy  eyes.  The R5 is a big EVF upgrade and solves this stutter issues in smooth mode particularly as long as the Autofocus of the attached lenses is fast.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +37 more
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,634

1Dx4me wrote:

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I mean once you get to a certain threshold of image quality does it even matter? I would think 5DIV is already there.

if you are already invested in dslrs and EF lenses, i wouldn't bother. although EF lenses are adaptable to R cameras, i am not sure if it is worth going through all the trouble.

all the trouble?  What trouble is it?  You just attach the lens to the adapter and attach that to the camera, pretty simple really.

if you are happy with 5Dmk4, and it a very capable camera, then i wouldn't even think about moving to a new format. that is what i did, i purchased a 5DsR and i am good to go for a few years. the new R5's price will go lower in a couple years and canon will be taken care of all the kinks by then-- that will be the time to pick one up

-- hide signature --

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Morvegil
Morvegil Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Just "upgrading" from a 5d4 to a R was awesome.  There is a long list of reasons a R5 is better than a 5d4.

Honestly it's just cost, there's nothing really "better" about a 5d4, it's just personal opinion and money.

-- hide signature --

Only pros shoot with Canon.

Morvegil's gear list:Morvegil's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS R5 +1 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,234

Nope not interested in toy cameras, tried the R what a pile of rubbish, slow focus with the adapter, im keeping the 5DIV does the job fantastically.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams
Believe in Karma.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more

Morvegil wrote:

Just "upgrading" from a 5d4 to a R was awesome. There is a long list of reasons a R5 is better than a 5d4.

Honestly it's just cost, there's nothing really "better" about a 5d4, it's just personal opinion and money.

koolaid must be tasting good

-- hide signature --

Ray Chen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,346
Which EF Lenses?

ASR45 wrote:

Nope not interested in toy cameras, tried the R what a pile of rubbish, slow focus with the adapter, im keeping the 5DIV does the job fantastically.

Which lenses were tested? I will run my own tests with my 400mm and 200mm, my most used lenses, but I do not know when my R5 will arrive.

Gordon Laing from Camera Labs showed the EF 85mm f/1.8 is a slower (when comparing to RF lenses) focusing lens on the R5 in his review, but I know that lens is one of the fastest focusing EF lenses on Canon DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

Ray

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
gilliano Regular Member • Posts: 111

knutte wrote:

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I'm with you there. But.....I do a lot of hiking at high elevation places and I just turned 60. With an arthritic and osteoporotic knee. That flippy screen is nice. And better DR. I can't complain about AF, I got images published in worldwide magazines from high speed sporting events with MF so the AF is amazing on the 5DIV. Lighter weight would be nice. Did I mention that flippy screen....? I almost starting thinking about a used Nikon Z7.....gasp...but Nikon is what I shot back in the film days.

Maybe consider the M6 mkii? Its a spectacular camera and very light. I'm pretty thrilled with it for wildlife shots and the high resolution makes it a great landscape camera too. Very overlooked, in my opinion

gilliano's gear list:gilliano's gear list
Canon EOS M5
Re: Which EF Lenses?

Ray Chen wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

Which lenses were tested? I will run my own tests with my 400mm and 200mm, my most used lenses, but I do not know when my R5 will arrive.

Gordon Laing from Camera Labs showed the EF 85mm f/1.8 is a slower (when comparing to RF lenses) focusing lens on the R5 in his review, but I know that lens is one of the fastest focusing EF lenses on Canon DSLRs.

true, EF 85 f1.8 auto focus's so fast on my 1Dx that i don't even notice it!!!

-- hide signature --

risto40
risto40 Regular Member • Posts: 354

rmexpress22 wrote:

I have a 5D4 now. It's excellent. But I'm going for the R5 for the AF. Also, so that I don't have to MFA anymore.

those 2 reasons are exactly the reasons I plan to get R5 at around Christmas as well (currently own 5D4).

risto40's gear list:risto40's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +3 more
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 589

gilliano wrote:

knutte wrote:

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I'm with you there. But.....I do a lot of hiking at high elevation places and I just turned 60. With an arthritic and osteoporotic knee. That flippy screen is nice. And better DR. I can't complain about AF, I got images published in worldwide magazines from high speed sporting events with MF so the AF is amazing on the 5DIV. Lighter weight would be nice. Did I mention that flippy screen....? I almost starting thinking about a used Nikon Z7.....gasp...but Nikon is what I shot back in the film days.

Maybe consider the M6 mkii? Its a spectacular camera and very light. I'm pretty thrilled with it for wildlife shots and the high resolution makes it a great landscape camera too. Very overlooked, in my opinion

Can I add to your interesting thought?

For the price of an R5 or R6, you could get a 6DII and an original R.

I am shooting an original R and an original 6D.  The R is vastly superior for certain things.  For example, shifting a TSE lens freaks out the exposure program on a DSLR, in my case, throwing it off by four stops or more.  The R uses the main sensor to calculate exposure and nails a shifted lens as well as it would an unshifted lens.

At night, the EVF is like a night vision scope.  And what about low light focusing  My poor 6D can't even almost keep up.  In bright light, that advantage is diminished.  And I enjoy the view through the glass a lot more in the daytime but not at night.

In a challenging situation, I get a greater percentage of keepers from my R, but in any situation, my keepers from the 6D require a lot fewer adjustment to color and contrast.  The 6D files are just beautiful right out of the camera.  The R files are beautiful too, maybe even more beautiful, but after more processing.

It also irritates me a little having to use the center point after the touch and drag movement of the focus point on the R.  (I don't track.  I use single point or expanded point focusing.)

If, as you suggest, the 6D2 is pretty advanced and follows wildlife pretty well, and if the files are as easy to work with as the original 6, the 6DII combined with the R might be a good choice for the OP or for me.

Good thought.

-- hide signature --

Eddie Rizk
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
j tokarz Contributing Member • Posts: 845

The end result is what you get. A picture. The mk 1V made great pictures everyone was is happy with. That will not change with whatever you shoot with. Why waste money. The modern world is all hype designed to get you to part with your hard earned cash ( most people ).

And-roid
And-roid Regular Member • Posts: 432

j tokarz wrote:

The end result is what you get. A picture. The mk 1V made great pictures everyone was is happy with. That will not change with whatever you shoot with. Why waste money. The modern world is all hype designed to get you to part with your hard earned cash ( most people ).

The r is a solid "bang for buck" right now!

dependable af, especially human face/eye

excellent iq, on current evidence better than r5

excellent touch interface, possibly the best

strong c-af if not the fastest but strong 5fps nonetheless

excellent evf and lcd

excellent fast lenses with ois, who needs ibis?

KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,421

Lag free viewfinder and better battery life.

KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,621

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

The AF alone is enough reason to leave the 5DM4.  Then there is 12/20 FPS at 45 MP with ibis. An extra stop at the low end seals the deal on IQ.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +29 more
Siobhan_K Regular Member • Posts: 159
Here are Three

5DIV, in 2020, over R5? Lots of reasons to consider it. Here are three:

1/ You like optical viewfinders.

2/ You need two card slots, weather-sealing, and professional-grade-durability in a body that costs less than $2500. Maybe you want to put the $1400 you'll save over the R5 into a nice lens or two. How about an EF 35/1.4L ii? A fast RF 35mm isn't even on Canon's roadmap, yet.

3/ Let's say you're looking at two well-executed photographs, side-by-side, presented at the same size up to, say, 24" on the long edge. Are you confident you can tell which one's from the R5, which one's from the 5Div? If you can't tell, who else can?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Siobhan_K's gear list:Siobhan_K's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +3 more
Morvegil

1Dx4me wrote:

Morvegil wrote:

Just "upgrading" from a 5d4 to a R was awesome. There is a long list of reasons a R5 is better than a 5d4.

koolaid must be tasting good

Lol I shot with a 5d4 since the day it came out across multiple countries.

-- hide signature --

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS R5 +1 more
Morvegil

ASR45 wrote:

The R5 is same.build quality as the 5d4, also less moving parts so it'll actually be more robust. Not a toy.

-- hide signature --

Edow New Member • Posts: 3

I will almost certainly be getting the R5 later this year, but there is one thing I will miss very much from the 5DIV: GPS. The R5 lacks any GPS receiver from what I understand. Presumably to save battery life. There were some photos where I completely forgot where they were taken and GPS bailed me out.

The work-around is to use your phone GPS and Canon phone app, but the chances of me syncing the phone app every time I go shooting is, well...unlikely at best.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads